IGNORED

GaN Amps - Anyone heard one?

On 7/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, John Hughes said:

I got my Starkrimson today.  

I did some volume matching in my room with my VTV Purifi amp using white noise and Roon EQ levels so that everything should be matched within 1 db.  I used White noise and a SPL meter.  The level between the two amps was only about a DB anyways. Using balanced connections.

1dB sounds different and for the higher level nearly always gives an advantage when the amps are well below clipping.  If the amps have a pretty even low frequency response in the audio band and somewhat below (not a given), that's an acoustic energy difference of over 20%.  It's really better to use a DMM to measure AC voltage across the speaker inputs, where getting a >0.1 dB match is easy.  But thank you for posting your impressions.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, RichardSF said:

What is the availability and lead time? I assume that you're still waiting for them. I have seen Ralph Karsten's posts on forums over the years and he has very sensible views about harmonics in amplifiers. He built his business on tube components but now believes that class D and solid state are the future.

I am still waiting, its the transformers that are being held up on supply chain issues.  I suspect once he gets that stock in there won't be much of a wait on new orders.  He does make them when ordered but that normally takes about a week from what I've gathered, its not a complicated build. 

On 8/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, John Hughes said:

I am still waiting, its the transformers that are being held up on supply chain issues.  I suspect once he gets that stock in there won't be much of a wait on new orders.  He does make them when ordered but that normally takes about a week from what I've gathered, its not a complicated build. 

I've heard that they have gotten in the transformers, so shipping sometime in the next week. 

• 2 weeks later...

As long as we are on the topic of GaN amps, is there a reason why there are so few integrated amps with GaN modules?  I know of two:  The Orchard Ultra, with only one input, or the Technics at $10k.  I don’t need a DAC built in, necessarily, but I could use a product with more flexibility than the Orchard and less MSRP than the Technics.  Are there others out there that I am overlooking?  If no one is making such a unit, is it due to technology barriers or a perceived lack of need in the marketplace?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

As long as we are on the topic of GaN amps, is there a reason why there are so few integrated amps with GaN modules?  I know of two:  The Orchard Ultra, with only one input, or the Technics at $10k.  I don’t need a DAC built in, necessarily, but I could use a product with more flexibility than the Orchard and less MSRP than the Technics.  Are there others out there that I am overlooking?  If no one is making such a unit, is it due to technology barriers or a perceived lack of need in the marketplace?

A) I think the chips  are less available and in fewer models for OEM; manufacturers are also more likely to go with what they know, and few know GaN.

B) In spite of the claims, it isn't a given they are intrinsically better than other class D. In an interview here the Purify people explained the pros and cons of GaN vs other types of Class D, and explained why they decided not to use GaN. It's a design choice, like anything else.

As with everything audiophile, marketing claims often try to make it sound like such design choices are intrinsically better, when they may not be. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

A) I think the chips  are less available and in fewer models for OEM; manufacturers are also more likely to go with what they know, and few know GaN.

B) In spite of the claims, it isn't a given they are intrinsically better than other class D. In an interview here the Purify people explained the pros and cons of GaN vs other types of Class D, and explained why they decided not to use GaN. It's a design choice, like anything else.

As with everything audiophile, marketing claims often try to make it sound like such design choices are intrinsically better, when they may not be. 

Thanks for this take.  That makes sense. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s