IGNORED

GaN Amps - Anyone heard one?

39 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

I've heard good things about them.  I ordered one from the Presale.  I'll be comparing it to my VTV Purifi Amp.  These are very comparable amps, so it will be interesting to see if I like the Starkrimson enough to keep it. 

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-purifi-audio-1et400a-amplifier/

Would certainly like to know the results of that comparison. What input buffer did you choose on the vtv amp?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

My VTV has the Sparkos SS3602.  I chose this because the designer said it sounded the most like tubes :).  I really do love the VTV amp, I think its a giant killer and an amazing value for the money.  I just can't pass up the chance to hear what a good GaN design can do.  Both amps have the same Hypex power supply. 

The Starkrimson uses the OPA2211 on the input.  I don't know if this is swappable. 

If I look at the pictures of the units it does not look like the OPA2211 are swappable.

Under development:

That is too bad! I did some searching on that op amp.  Many threads said it was good, not great.  Also saw some threads that said that designs are really tuned to work well with some opamps, and that the OPA2211 can be a great part in the right design.  I rolled op amps in a few headphone amp designs.  That can definitely be useful.

I am sure its a great opamp but that doesn't mean it'll be transparent enough subjectively, that rather depends on implementation.

For example - given its a very low noise bipolar device it needs a very low impedance feedback network so as not to add extra noise. Driving a low impedance load with a classAB output stage (which pretty much all opamps have) results in additional noise on the supply lines. Depending on the PCB layout that noise could be coupled into the ground reference.

Yes the designer of the 'Starkrimson' modules hangs out there and he's quite responsive to questions about measurements. But on ASR you're unlikely to find subjective listening comments since the belief there is you can only trust your ears under scientifically controlled conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 5:45 PM, John Hughes said:

That is too bad! I did some searching on that op amp.  Many threads said it was good, not great.  Also saw some threads that said that designs are really tuned to work well with some opamps, and that the OPA2211 can be a great part in the right design.  I rolled op amps in a few headphone amp designs.  That can definitely be useful.

OPA2211 is essentially the same as OPA1612 with better DC performance. This is extremely important as the amps are DC-coupled you want as small as possible DC-offset on the output.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, opus101 said:

OPA2211 is only available in SMD packages, making it extremely unlikely to be a swappable item.

With the right equipment and skill it is doable, these om-amps have a blind thermal pad which makes them tricky even for SMT soldering by hand. Otherwise I agree with you these are not swappable.

I got my Starkrimson today.  

I did some volume matching in my room with my VTV Purifi amp using white noise and Roon EQ levels so that everything should be matched within 1 db.  I used White noise and a SPL meter.  The level between the two amps was only about a DB anyways. Using balanced connections. 

Upon firing it up with music, cold, it sounds very similar to the the VTV.  If I wasn't listening closely I wouldn't hear a difference. After an hour, I do hear a difference, more powerful bass, possibly a darker background.  This will be fun. 

I won't be able to do real listening till next weekend.  

6 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

I got my Starkrimson today.  

I did some volume matching in my room with my VTV Purifi amp using white noise and Roon EQ levels so that everything should be matched within 1 db.  I used White noise and a SPL meter.  The level between the two amps was only about a DB anyways. Using balanced connections. 

Upon firing it up with music, cold, it sounds very similar to the the VTV.  If I wasn't listening closely I wouldn't hear a difference. After an hour, I do hear a difference, more powerful bass, possibly a darker background.  This will be fun. 

I won't be able to do real listening till next weekend.  

Can you let the amp burn-in with continuous music playing? I think it will help.

Under development:

• 2 weeks later...

does one amp have negative feedback, or more, than the other? IMO it's almost impossible to compare components in different circuits unless the design is similar.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

does one amp have negative feedback, or more, than the other? IMO it's almost impossible to compare components in different circuits unless the design is similar.

To my understanding the Purifi amps have 75dB of loop gain. My amps have 31dB. That is a very large difference in the amount of negative feedback.

• 5 months later...

I found this looking for a review of the Orchard amp.

Sounds like I might prefer the Orchard. In my experience, overtly prominent treble, as described regarding the Purifi amp, is often distortion mistaken as detail. I note from measurements that the Orchard is much lower distortion in the upper frequencies so that may be what’s going on here.

Or maybe not, but I prefer smoother high frequencies in any case, so might give the Starkrimson a try.

6 hours ago, RealityTunnel said:

I found this looking for a review of the Orchard amp.

Sounds like I might prefer the Orchard. In my experience, overtly prominent treble, as described regarding the Purifi amp, is often distortion mistaken as detail. I note from measurements that the Orchard is much lower distortion in the upper frequencies so that may be what’s going on here.

Or maybe not, but I prefer smoother high frequencies in any case, so might give the Starkrimson a try.

It looks promising but there are no professional reviews of it yet, just 1 lightweight review by Dagogo of the streamer. Hopefully someone will do a more useful

review in the future that compares the Stereo Ultra to other known amplifiers.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

It looks promising but there are no professional reviews of it yet, just 1 lightweight review by Dagogo of the streamer. Hopefully someone will do a more useful

review in the future that compares the Stereo Ultra to other known amplifiers.

According to the Google Drive link in this post -

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/starkrimson-mono-the-absolute-sound-budget-product-of-the-year-2021.28912/post-1007725

- it’s one of The Absolute Sound’s Products of the Year. So it seems they have been given a professional review now…

[edit: sorry tried a couple of times to add the link as a hyperlink but it’s not working editing it on my iPhone…]

• 4 months later...