IGNORED

Direct connection of server to DAC vs streaming?

I apologize if this is a question that has been much discussed or is, perhaps unanswerable, but I am a novice looking for advice.  I am currently using my home PC as my server and stream over ethernet to an Auralic Vega G1 streaming dac.  I've added a Sonore Optical Module to connect to the A side of the EtherRegen.  I use both Roon (for convenience) and the Auralic app, primarily when streaming from Qobuz because of enhanced sound quality.  I would like to retire my home PC from audio service and get a dedicated server.  I am also considering upgrading my dac.  

I am considering either: 1) adding a server like the Small Green Computer i5 or i9 or Fidelizer Nimitra Signature or Exasound Gamma Server that I can place in another location and stream to a streaming dac (e.g. Bricasti M3; Vega G2.1; or the new Exasound S82 when it comes out) or 2) connect the server directly to the dac either through a dedicated ethernet connection (as used by Melco) or directly through USB.

Is there any guidance on which sort of set up is best for sound quality? 1) streaming from server to dac via ethernet either directly (1a) or over the network (1b)? or 2) direct connection via usb?

• 1 month later...

George at exaSound would be your best resource for this; 

[email protected]

He's been very generous with advice and prompt to reply any time I've had a question.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW (and YMMV), I've demoed an Innuos Statement and an Antipodes K50 in my system directly connected via ethernet to my Linn KDSM/2 and, even after copying files from my NAS to these servers, I didn't hear a difference versus having the KDSM (and my dedicated SGC I9 server) connected to a Melco S100 switch.

I did hear a difference using a Melco N10 vs streaming from my NAS, but interesting enough, having the SGC I9, N10 and KDSM connected to the S100 instead of connecting the KDSM to the N10 via ethernet directly sounds better. 

Frankly, the S100 made a big improvement in the sound of my system which was immediately noticeable and adding a Farad Super3 power supply improved it further. I'd encourage you to look into auditioning it and seeing for yourself. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

The issues with digital audio largely occur at source and endpoint, places where data is "interpreted" and "converted" to USB/SPDIF/etc output. In these locations

HW/SW quality, system integration, and power supply issues can degrade what is sent to DAC

Network only affects to a minor degree... once data has been converted to packet form the same data will be received as was sent. Where network impacts is at receiver,

if the connected Ethernet is noisy or a problematic electrical load it can stress the Ethernet receiver circuit, causing the device its part of to behave poorer.  Used Cisco

catalyst switches are inexpensive and have good Ethernet hardware. I like my EtherRegen but its FE port isolation is not important vs. having full GigE bandwidth

for 768 PGGB files and DSD file playback.

Much prefer having media on a NAS vs local because its hard to clean up local media drive caused sound degradation, keeping music on NAS drives isolates them

from server/endpoint.  That said, Innuos seems to have a handle on putting media drives in the server.

Have tried both server direct and server to USB endpoint.  Server direct to USB DAC won out for clarity, with media sourced from NAS. But endpoints are fun

if you want to play music from different rooms.

Highly recommend adding HQPlayer if you continue with PC build + Roon, using HQPlayer output will sharpen up Roon sound,

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

IME and assuming you have an sufficiently revealing system everything matters. After having owned an ultra rendu, and SOTM SMS 200 Neo and now an Aqua LinQ streamer the end result as one might expect is "flavored" by the streamer and less by the music server. However, that's not to say the music server doesn't matter and ethernet output to your switch is paramount. 

For example, I recently purchased an Innuos Statement and stand alone (providing local music or streaming and out via USB to my DAC) it sounded quite good. However when used as a Music server -> my LinQ ->my Aqua Formula the sound was noticeably worse. Now, one might think it was the LinQ as the weakest link (no pun intended) but my original system with my Music PC -> LinQ -> Aqua DAC bests any combination with the Innuos Statement. Net is - my Music PC's JCAT NIC output is cleaner with better PRAT, is more neutral and yields a better sound stage / more defined spacial cues versus the Statement. And the combo with the LinQ yields exceptional output to the DAC. I hope in a roundabout way this helps. And YMMV.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room