IGNORED

“Gaming” measurements

15 hours ago, idiot_savant said:

I’m a bit surprised people here just seem to shrug their shoulders? Isn’t the idea of measurements to have a level playing field? Never mind sacrificing actual sound quality for a bigger number?

I think many people have learned that measurements and specs can be used in nefarious ways, in every hobby, business, and endeavor. As such, they take the numbers as a single data point that doesn’t usually mean too much. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, March Audio said:

So are you saying an amplifier that distorts is a competent design?

Now you're making thing up. We are talking about @Ryan Berry / Ayre's QB-9 DAC with a switch for Measure and Listen positions. 

My comments were generic, it was another member that mentioned a specific product.

No.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, March Audio said:

Hang on, is this the objective section of the forum?

In your own words ...

24 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Now you can argue as much as you like about individual preferences in the subjective part of the forum but this is the objective area.

3 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Can I not have the opinion that adding distortion in a product is the wrong thing to do?

Have all the opinions you want, but not in the objective forum and not by disparaging another manufacturer calling their opinion incompetent. 

4 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Can we have some data that shows adding distortion actually sounds better?

Ayre has data in the form of sales and customer feedback. 

10 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Can we have some data that shows adding distortion actually sounds better?

Sales are not any indicator of objective performance

Stop with your nonsense. Look at your two statements. This is getting ridiculous. I advise you to stop digging a hole. 

Sorry butvI don't understand.

Are you saying that sales indicate product product performance?

So if we identify the best selling amp or dac that they are thereforenthe best performing amp and dac out there?

Are you saying that sales have nothing to do with marketing effectiveness?

You're purposely not following. 

I can't help you. Stop moving the goal posts. 

28 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

these forums are not to be used to “catch out” manufacturers - so I can think of a DAC that looks like it might be doing this, but that would be speculation on my part and could cause problems for that manufacturer if I were wrong

Thank you for being careful. It’s hard to unring a bell. 

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Is there any point to measuring anything - and objectively finding nothing wrong ... but still are faced with a “nagging sense of wrongness”, when listening? Why should one bother with this hobby, if this is the situation?

Discuss the wrongness all you want, in another sub-forum.