IGNORED

Pure Music 1.73

fjmcsu

I contacted Pure Music (Channel D) about the 88.2 issue. With earlier versions, (including 1.65) of the Pure Music 88.2 files were upsampled to 96 using my IMAC and a Benchmark Dac1 via toslink. With the later version this is no longer the case - the files are downsampled to 44. I received a response indicating this was something that might be addressed going forward but it apparently has not been changed. I have a number of 88.2 files from HD tracks and the Boston Symphony Orchestra that I would like to play at the higher resolution - so I hope this issue will be addressed. Channel D has been very responsive so it may make sense to raise the issue and perhaps a fix will be made.

Bixby, I am using a 16ft glass Toslink...it is less gritty than an equally quality 25ft cable I had been using. Long runs of Toslink are prone to jitter which manifests itself as grit.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

For me toslink seems "soft" as in lacking PRaT- almost the opposite of grit. Then again, to my ears as jitter lowers, dynamic shading noticeably increases. Maybe your DAC manifests jitter as grit?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

"Longest I have run is 15' of generic plastic Toslink. Depends on what source component you are using, but this gives about 3x the data-related jitter than a 1m length with my MacBook. Depends on what DAC you are using if this is going to be an issue or not."

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I am using a glass toslink and a Benchmark DAC 1...The adapter from the iMac also changed the sound when I upgraded from the $1.50 junk mini to toslink to a better one.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

IIRC, on my Benchmark the USB had a smoother(not soft) presentation than the coax or the toslink. That was using (dare I say it) a 2m Cryro Parts USB cable vs a 1m Wireworld glass toslink.

Some of your grit may be ameliorated with power treatments. In my systems, I found the Benchmark to be very responsive to conditioners and cords.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I need to note the grain is very faint and only at the highest frequencies..(or so it seems). It is an effect that is not present with the transport through the same DAC.

I have Grant B283 on order

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_B283_MKII_tube_processor_buffer

I suspect that will eliminate the grit (hide it) and smooth the edge with a bit of tube bloom.

My Benchmark is not a USB machine...

Unfortunately for me 1.73 is a retrograde step. After updating to this version, upsampling will not give a stable SPDIF signal, and my DAC keeps locking and unlocking the signal. This was never an issue until 1.73 and I have made no other changes to hardware / software.

I am not sure about sonics (when not upsampling), but after installing 1.73 and having the above issues, I switched to native (which is what I normally use) but found myself messing with cables and not listening to the music, which is an indication that all is not well.

Of course, it could just be that I am hearing more in the mix and that a poor recording is to blame. In this case it was my first listen on a CD rip to Neil Young's Freedom, which appears to be a lousy mastering, with very audible distortion in parts.

MartinC

Hello John - I noticed your comment about a better quality mini to toslink adapter- I have a Wireworld glass toslink with a cheap adapter and would like to find out about where to get the improved adapter that you mentioned. Would appreciate any information about a source for this. Thanks!

So far no problems with the Halide bridge which I just purchased as it seems to work very well with 1.73(or 1.72 for that matter!). I also have a Toslink connection and no issues. Awaiting the USB/AES converter for comparison. Sorry I can't help otherwise.

thanks

Francisco

I bought this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040IQVTW/ref=oss_product

It is several times more expensive than anything else I could find and the specs are so vague that I was not sure what I was buying BUT, when I installed it, I noticed a major drop in the noise in my connection, a bigger change than I had going from a 25ft glass toslink to a 16 ft glass toslink.

For the price it was with it.

almaatakz,

I was having the same problem recently after I had created a folder (within my apps folder) for PM, it's pdf manual, and a 'renice PM' app I had created from suggestions shared on another thread in this forum...

PM/iTunes would not play after I moved everything into the aforementioned folder...

When I put everything back where it was and deleted the folder, everything worked fine...

Thanks James for the recommendation - I went to Amazon to check it out - It seems most of these adapter are less than a few dollars - I am willing to give it a try but it's hard to get specifics on the specs and how this one differs from others manufactured by the same company selling for almost nothing. I will give it a shot based on your experience.

it's hard to get specifics on the specs and how this one differs from others manufactured by the same company selling for almost nothing.

Trust me for $79 shipped you can get a mini toslink to toslink 3 foot cable that will sound better than any cable and any adapter.

I am using a great adapter now with a great Toslink and it does not sound better than a properly terminated Min to toslink cable.

Artruns, I could well be a fool, BUT, I cannot find anything at their site that tells me why some of their adapters are $2 and others $20...I could guess and say the more expensive is glass and not plastic. I can say the connection to my actual Toslink cable is tighter and the plug fits more snugly then the $1.50 part I first bought. At any rate, I am willing to be fooled, for $29 including shipping. My Shatki stone cost well over a hundred and darned if I can say what it does other than remove minor haze on some of my gear and seems to add some to others...Magic perhaps. Cardas caps cost a comparable fortune and seem to do nothing in my system, yet I have them and, perhaps, just perhaps, they do make a difference I am too old to hear. Give it a try...When I replaced my old cheap adapter I noted an immediate reduction in some high end grit on some music. Noticeable, not gigantic. Couple that with a shorter Toslink glass cable and what was noticeable grit on most music was tiny noise on only some music...In a world where almost every improvement in a system costing more than a few thousand requires hundreds if not thousands of bucks, a nice change for $29 is pretty good. Give it a try and let us know...

Well said James and all who have provided their thoughts on this ... I appreciate the input and have ordered the adapter. I am using the Wireworld glass toslink cable which was not available with the mini termination when I ordered it due to the length of the cable. Thus, the inexpensive adapter became the weak link. I have been quite happy with the set up using the benchmark DAC1 but I have never missed an opportunity to tweak things in pursuit of better sound (especially for $29.00) I will report on the results when I compare things.