IGNORED

Pure Music 1.73

fjmcsu

Just happen to be configuring my Pure Music set-up with the Halide bridge & noted the new version:

From accompanying PDF:1.73

• Corrected an issue that could cause the dialog for Less is More to be positioned partly offscreen, hiding the dismiss button

• Improved operation of Add FLAC on older Mac machines (< 2 GHz)

• Changed name of Advanced Audio Setup... to Audio Setup... as this is the preferred way to select the audio hardware used with Pure Music. Removed Strict Device Validation in the Audio Setup

• New Headless Operation menu item provides a way to toggle Allow Manual Playlist Navigation without opening the Preferences

• Corrected an issue that could cause Add FLAC to not accept tracks from directories containing characters other than alphanumeric Roman alphabet

• Automatically minimize iTunes window when opening Add FLAC / convert files panel, to make dragging to the panel easier

• Gapless playback now requires Preallocate to be enabled and active. Users with insufficient RAM for Preallocate that want to use gapless playback should use Pure Music 1.65a

Thanks!

thanks

Francisco

Since I changed to 1.72 the program will not upsample unless I stop the initial track and tell it to upsample every time I begi play after turning the system on. Previous versions were OK. Does this new fix do anything for that or is there a simple step I am missing?

Later...updated to the new, still shifts to 16/44 on the first song..can be changed and all works OK after, until I reboot...

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

44.1 to 88.2 and so forth?

I'm having no problem with this in 1.72 or as I've gone to 1.73.

Did you set "Audio Midi" to point to something other than your preferred DAC? And in Pure Music you have check-marked "Select Device from Application?" I think that's what I did.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

The problem is, the thing announces it is playing at 16/44 when I want it at 24/96 and have to set it each time I begin..with 1.65 I set the output and it stayed there. Now I have to tell it what to do every time I start it.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

In 1.73 gapless playback is disabled if you do not have 4GB RAM available (and I do not at this time). I had Gapless playback with 1.71a and 1.72. Does 1.65 allow for Gapless playback? That is the last major update that you can download and I think I will step back to it until I upgrade my RAM.

(Thanks but nevermind my question because I answered my own question by downloading 1.65 and I can get Gapless playback with it with 2GB of RAM versus 1.73 which requires 4GB.)

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I am using Soundflower as well, set up in the same fashion as 'fjmcsu'.

After logging in, Soundflower works fine... Until I use Pure Music. Then I have to log out and back in to get Soundflower working again. Does anyone else have the same scenario?

I'm not sure if it's related but when I initially installed Soundflower on my Mac mini, I had a few different Input/Output options to choose from in the related Audio MIDI settings on my Mac. I had selected the 2ch-32bit option thinking that I could switch to 2ch-24bit later...

However, there is no longer any options available other than 2ch-32bit. I have tried to uninstall and re-install Soundflower but still do not have any other options available...

I'd like to switch over to 2ch-24bit as I was hoping it'd fix the log in/out scenario I have...

Anyone have thoughts on whether or not this would fix things? (Or how I accomplish this...?)

Are there alternate programs that would permit system audio to work alongside PM (without the need for me to log out and back in...)?

As I recall, aggregate device settings won't "stick" unless you configure the aggregate device while you are logged into an account having administrator privileges.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

In Prefs > Music Server Settings > Advanced, be sure NOT to tick "Set Upsampling Target Rate Ceiling at Launch".

In Audio Setup, be sure the Target Sample Rate popup (to the right of the popup menu with the audio device name) is set to 96 KHz or higher. It's best to set this for both output and input.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I am still having the VERY annoying transient noise when I manually change between tracks that have different sample rates. The only way to avoid this is to select the 192KHz upsampling option in the preferences.

Anyone else has this problem? Please share your experiences. Rob has tried hard to eliminate this but it is still there in 1.73.

Michael

The only similar thing I experience is unrelated to whether the two tracks have different sample rates.

In Memory Play mode, if I pause a track in the middle, then start a new track, it plays a quarter-second snippet of the first track, then pauses, then starts the second track.

I have been tyring to get a simple solution to iTunes sample rate switcing problem for some time. All I want is for it to be effective, simple to use (i.e. not change the interface in any way) and inexpensive.

the cheapest looks to be PureMusic.

I have trialled a previous version and did not like various interface glitches.

Yesteday I have tried 1.73 and again it does not 'just work'.

- for some reason it displays 'downsampled' when I play a 88kHz file

- it does not skip tracks back

- it has confused me completely as to what player is actually playing when: initially, PM asks me to press 'play' in itunes. when I do so I see a message 'player paused' in PM and from then it is confusion all hte way as to what software is actually playing the track.

Why does it have to be so complicated? All I want is SR switching... I do not want any other change to the way I control iTunes (on the computer, IR remote or ipodtouch remote app).

Is that possible with PM?

Though the screens are slightly different, those changes fixed the problem. The new version, in my system sounds even better. I still have a bit of high end grit but I believe it is because of the length of the Toslink glass cable. I have a tube buffer on order and hope that will tame it. The difference between the iMac front end and the transport continues to shrink..

Are you setting the audio setting in PM to the highest sample rate your dac can handle natively? If you are setting PM to 44 or 48 then it should downsample a 88 file. Also, you may wish to ensure you have the box clicked in settings for PM to select device from settings.

You should also not have the upsample button on the lower left lit up when trying to play native files at the native rate, obviously.

Not sure how the back function works on PM, since I usually play a whole album, maybe someone else can help.

If you click in the blue area where the meters are located in the PM "pane" you should be able to then click play in the itunes pane to start playing. The paused message will then go away. Pm will always be playing the track when it is running and you hit play. Only when you quit PM will itunes be able to play a file, at least that is how it works for me in hog mode.

almaatakz,

If you are looking for suggestions, we need more info on your computer, dac, etc. Pure Music 1.73 works fine for me. On the other hand, if you just wanted to make a statement, that's fine too.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

You should not be getting any grit with a good one.

I find that when Bluetooth, Wifi, and all other programs are turned off while playing music that things are the most natural and smooth. Even removing a Christmas light timer from a different outlet made a big difference.

Also, if you have an external drive, try powering it from a different circuit or conditioner. And if you have something like a cable box in the same conditioner or clip strip try moving that to another outlet.

You may only mask the issues with the buffer.

Thanks, folks -

I am using 2009 macmini 4 gb os 10.6.6. a mix of aac and alac files (16 to 24 bit, 44 to 96khz). Benchmark dac1 hdr via optical.

pm (1.73 demo) settings: built in output, max sr 96, set device from application ticked. target 96.

all sr's (44, 48, 96) play natively, correct, except 88. the blue bar says 'downsampled (not native)' whatever I do. Tried various sequneces of varying sr tracks, various settings in pm - no luck.

the sound of pm is excellent and I think I sorted the navigation glitches (maybe... or did it just skip a track?!) but I cannot get 88khz sr to play natively

btw - I think pm adds a bit of bass (compared to itunes). Anybody thinks so?