IGNORED

Article: Review | Heavenly Soundworks FIVE17

bobfa

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Bob-

Glad you seem to have found something you are happy with. Maybe this is "it" for you.

But a couple of your comments are a bit misleading:

With the Kii Control, you don't usually need to manually switch inputs on the Kii Three. You use a remote control.

The only manual switching needed is if you want to use AES digital and then switch to XLR analog (or the reverse).

If you are using  digital inputs other than AES, and XLR analog inputs, no manual switching needed. Same if all your inputs are digital- no manual switching. 

The 8c sell for about $12500 a pair in the US. So not really 50% more than the HS.

This has been a lot of fun. 

With the FIVE17 you do not need to use a remote to switch inputs the nCORE modules do it automatically.  That is what I am talking about.  Fine point...

You are correct on the 8C pricing I should have said 25%....

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The one thing to keep in mind is that all systems that sound great when purchased, don’t sound worse when new equipment is released. They are just as great on year 10 as they were on year 1. 

Chris etal.

I am very susceptible to G.A.S. or maybe FOMO. I am an experimenter and I love playing with all kinds of gear.

I have recently accelerated my  process of FINISHING my whole House listening system.   The first key was the music server, the second was getting all the extra gear out of the the house from closing my business.  I did go a little sideways there but I am happy with where I landed on the speakers.    I still need a DAC for the living room system and that is in the works next.

There is a lot in motion, what you do not see are the things that are stable.

I have several pieces of equipment that I have had for multiple years.  Chord Mojo,  SE535 IEM, HD800 headphones.  My little Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC is so much fun.  The Meridian Explorer+ USB MQA DAC.  

Then there is my ROTEL amp and preamp from 10 years ago or more. They are waiting for just the right "vintage" speakers someday, and for the basement cleaning project to finish.

10 minutes ago, JJinPDX said:

Thanks for the great review, bobfa. 

I've always been hesitant to invest in active speakers. I'm starting to rethink though. I've always been convinced you get the pair of speakers that give you the sound you want with the amp/pre that you want and/or can afford, then you start playing with various combos from there. In other words, you can change your amp within a brand or beyond. Guess that's now old school? With DSP, room correction, etc? You can shape the sounds as you like? No more worry about A A/B, D, tube, solid state....? 

I have a lot to learn. 

Thank you!

I always had trouble matching the gear to the speakers.  It was interesting to me 30 years ago!  I have still been experimenting but at different parts of the chain.   What I am doing now is simplifying the whole design, reducing complexity, and working to make it so anyone in the house can use the system.  

Just now, Rexp said:

So you are looking for a roon ready network attached DAC or planning to use the Node as Streamer? 

None of the above.  My server has remote USB ports.  I am just chasing a USB DAC.  The Node is for services that Roon does not provide such as Spotify and a couple of others I use.  I can also use the Node with Roon.  

Updates from the Victrola

I am slowly getting my system under control.  I have dialed in on my strategy, the server, the speakers, and I am working on the DAC selection.  

I have been using an iPad as the control point for Roon in my system.   A few weeks ago, John Darko did a video using a touch screen display on a NUC running Windows as his control point.  That has been in my mind for a while.  I had a spare NUC in the lab that I thought might work rather well.   I wouldn't say I liked the display that Darko used, so with a little research, I found the ViewSonic TD2455.  ViewSonic has a series of touch screen monitors that have a flexible folding stand. The stand provides stable support for touching the display!

https://www.viewsonic.com/touch/

During the setup of the NUC, I had the idea to use it as another Audio source.  I connected the Mutec MC-3 USB to the NUC and ran the AES output to the FIVE17 Speakers, eliminating the Chromecast Audio's need.  The world of Internet Audio is now a touch away.

IMG_0163.thumb.jpeg.aae2ba81330d99e1749cd3e452f230d7.jpeg

Does this eliminate the need for the BlueSound Node 2i?  I am not sure yet.

Here are a couple of time-lapse videos demonstrating how this works:

28 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm missing something: why a touch screen if it across the room from you?

I typically setup albums and playlists and listen for extended times.  I never touch stuff.  Also when I am listening to headphones I just move the rocking chair and everything is right there.

If I need to change things I do have my phone with me most of the time.  

Bonus you get a nice large now-playing display!

• 2 weeks later...

Stand by me!

The factory stands for my FIVE17 speakers arrived today.  Some Assembly Required.

Fifteen Seconds of unboxing

Thirty-Four seconds of basic assembly

Note the DRY sand.  The stands are MDF, and I would worry about damp sand, so two bags of sand from Home Depot at $3.99 each.  I used about 70lbs.  The rest helped refill the grandkids' sandbox!

Twenty-two seconds of final assembly

I did not install the stick-on pads on the top of the stands because I am using ISOACOUSTICS OREA isolators.

Twenty-six seconds of setup!

I am using the Herbies Audio Labs gliders due to the plywood floor under the spikes.  Tomorrow cable routing cleanup so my wife is happier.

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.cbbbf6e09c7d44762a3e727d13690542.jpeg

Just now, Evo-No-Revo said:

Hi Bob...

Can you give some idea of the size of your room with ceiling height? 

I looked around for pictures and found some.  All I could find showed the front wall and that there is a room off to the left.  

The room is 8ft high about 13ft wide and 21ft long.  There is a large opening to the Dining Room and there is a similar opening to the Front Hall at the other end.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, morespin said:

Very cool. Never heard of them (until following this thread). Might want to listen but they do not seem to have the return policy of Buchardt, so a little hard to try in Canada. The looks are more for people who like vintage furniture look… not quite the sleek modern European look of Dutch & Dutch or Buchardt. Wish they did a whole white version with a light color front baffle. 

Any ideas how we can try this? At 10,000 bucks there are many options now including Focus XD 20 with a subwoofer or Focus XD 30 from Dynaudio. Or formation duo from B&W… 

in the USA I am pretty sure that there is a return trial period.  I think they will be going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in the fall…???