IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

On 3/22/2021 at 4:32 AM, Mjw21a said:

Yes, a bit pointless without an expensive rewire of the house.

We've a nice, fast internet connection though everything within the house is connected by a wireless mesh with audio connected systems connected via RJ45 to those mesh devices.

Who knows,  we've some house renovations on the cards. Might not be too difficult to run a cable from the garage to the living room. ;)

Hi 21a,

I can assure you that in my system also with wireless mesh, the ER made an obvious improvement.

I have 25m of Supra cat 8 cable in my closet as it did not improvement sound quality to my ears ... ymmv as usual.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Duelund AC0.4 Silver Premium Audio Cable (Silver in Cotton / Oil impregnated) 

Those black dc cable from pcb to dc jack

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Here ?

https://duelundaudio.com/cable/

But I am a believer that it is all about matching including tuning by ear and it is still only to AD's demo system if done at all.

Some swears by Mundorf silver/gold dc cable but ghentaudio's are fine for me ... I prefer to spend on technologies not tried e.g. external higher quality AD clock, ER etc. and 

Cheers and enjoy !

Screenshot_20210614-045001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210614-045741_eBay.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 6:10 AM, Mjw21a said:

Funnily enough I see soft annealed silver for the wiring between DC plug and the power pins in my Mutec MC-3+USB mod (for the Super Fared 3).

Afterdark seems to use materials in line with what I'd use myself so I've no complaints there. I certainly agree with soldering the wire directly to the board thereby losing a contact. Likewise a plug is handy for flexibility. I think what Afterdark is doing will suit the vast majority of potential buyers just fine :)

Next I'll add 75ohm termination plugs to my Mutec and source a Tortech balanced studio power supply to go after my Furman AC210 AE.  :)

Hmmh .... 0.4mm for 1A before melting i.e. Afterdark clock <<1.0A ?

Frankly do not like how fragile 0.4mm is and may just change to same dueland 0.8mm one ... any concern on detrimental effect to performance if soldered right ?

Cheers.

Screenshot_20210615-205547_OneDrive.jpg

30 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi Richard,

We have 0.8mm in stock, but the sounding is not as good as 0.4mm one. May be due to Giesemann clock only consume 0.6A. So it sound the better when compared, a little fragile that is true.

I hope you enjoy the burn in process, it will get better abs better.

Have a nice evening.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

Hey Adrian,

Tks tks for the advice 🙏

Will not touch my Emperor double crown clock with certainty then ... 

Cheers.

Richard

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:35 AM, GryphonGuy said:

Agreed that there is no NEED. BUT and its a big but, the resulting sound quality it literally delivers is extremely if not most desirable.

Regards

GG

Hi GG,

Somehow missed your post 6 mths ago ...

I concur the positive impact with ER with wifi in MY system ... I am running my home with AirTies wire mesh and one node is dedicated to to my music system for internet music. My playback of music files is from internal 2x4tb ssd in my Antipodes cx while my 10TBx2 Synology NAS is powered off for backup only.

Without the ER between the mesh node, it is veiled in comparison ... I also had the AD double crown oxco clock to bypass the ER's femto clock. 

The Antipodes cx and ex just came back after the recent Oladra upgrade and I have now a 2nd ER without the AD clock before the cx to have the 1st ER with the AD clock between the cx and ex. This as recommended by Uptone to have ER nearest to my Terminator Plus dac which also benefit the SSD playback in comparison until I decides to get the 2nd AD clock or shoot a used Mutec Ref 10 or 120se.

Yes, ER especially with AD clock improves wifi streaming in MY system without a doubt. Incidentally, I have the 25m Supra Cat 8 cable in the cardboard since against the norm, it sounded worse than the Airties mesh node which I did modded its single cap with Panasonic FM while having it as well as master node and router on lps.

Cheers.

Richard

On 4/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, DSK6 said:

Unfortunately I can’t tell you which component made the biggest difference but I’m not about to start messing with it now. I really can’t see how replacing the EtherREGEN’s SMPS with a good LPS could improve things further … but … 

I kept to using the small stock smps for the following reasons:

1. Current sound quality improvement after 2x ER and 1x AD double crown clock suffices

2. Avoid more $ spent, including associated dc cables

3. Lack of space, including associated cables

4. Uptone's position that stock smps is fine

5. Not knowledgeable enough on concern of common ground, breaking moat 

6. Keep limited $ for next hardware or technology breakthru at cost within my budget e.g. ER, AD clock, Oladra upgrade for my Antipodes

Cheers.

Hi R1200CL,

My ERs are standard 75 ohm ones and this splitter thingy is 50ohm needing further convertor (s).  

Been reading nicely shared info here on impedence mismatch, sine clock signal not affected, breaking of moat being not isolated etc. etc. as well as eventual preference for 2 units by someone who tried.

However, I am frankly confused often while knowing it just cannot be better or worse still negatively affecting the 2nd ER between the Antipode ex player and cx server if I do try using splitter and converter with more cabling ... I will just take it that I have 1 ER with AD clock before the ex player as recommended but there is no doubt on the significant improvement from having them.

Cheers.

Richard

46 minutes ago, Carlos E said:

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your time in sharing your experience. I really appreciate that and I will do some tests myself. I believe that AD also have a three clock outputs unit but I don't remember how it compare to the Mutec unit in price $.

Regards

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

The 3 clock output of double crown level is about HK21k or about usd2.7k which is pushing towards price of an used mutec ref10 (new@usd5k rrp) which arguably will have more resale value ...and its more elaborate functionalities.

The Giesemann eva level is about usdk which I have no idea how it compares with the mutec ref10.

Hence mentioned dilemma especially when I dun really have the need for a 3rd output and having the ER+AD between cx and ex is more critical going by Uptone's advice.

Please share your finding when available.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Do consider the oladra upgrade as it is time limited .. or rid of the cx+ex as their values had dropped obviously with K50 ... I was also in that dilemma but bit the bullet as blue led was day 1 wish after getting them

Screenshot_20210908-011002_Chrome.jpg

MUTEC_REF_10_infographic_phasenoise-1024x729.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-014056_Chrome.jpg

Hi R1200CL,

Because I want the cx server to benefit from 1x ER and I am not a believer of cascading 2X ERs 🙏

Cheers.

Richard

22 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Carlos,

The 3 clock output of double crown level is about HK21k or about usd2.7k which is pushing towards price of an used mutec ref10 (new@usd5k rrp) which arguably will have more resale value ...and its more elaborate functionalities.

The Giesemann eva level is about usdk which I have no idea how it compares with the mutec ref10.

Hence mentioned dilemma especially when I dun really have the need for a 3rd output and having the ER+AD between cx and ex is more critical going by Uptone's advice.

Please share your finding when available.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Do consider the oladra upgrade as it is time limited .. or rid of the cx+ex as their values had dropped obviously with K50 ... I was also in that dilemma but bit the bullet as blue led was day 1 wish after getting them

Screenshot_20210908-011002_Chrome.jpg

MUTEC_REF_10_infographic_phasenoise-1024x729.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-014056_Chrome.jpg

For completeness, the phase noise specific of  Mutec Ref10 120se.

20210908_233744.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You will make their new owner a happy man !

I have my ER with AD double crown between my olandra Antipodes cx and ex and just added a cheap China BG7BTL with Oscilloscope Inc clock to the other ER before the Antipodes cx 2 days ago ... my system never sounded as good as it does now.

Will be great if you can list the $ for each component and this total package here .. I may be tempted to grab them 😅

Cheers.

Hi Mouna,

Thanks for reaching out to me with offers 🙏

Will stay with existing to keep limited funds for other improvement projects.

Thanks again and glad you had sold your ER ...

Cheers.

Richard

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, TRIODE4 said:

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used Emperor Signature with an Afterdark power supply included. It has been on for 3 days straight and I have an Afterdark clock cable. Not sure but after seeing all the glowing reviews I wonder if mine is faulty. The dc cable connectors are pretty loose going into the clock box.  I feel I have gone step back after putting into the external mode to the ethergen. Is it because I haven't given it enough time yet? I hope so.

Hi, I have the afterdark double crown to the ER powered by stock uptone smps and using a cheaply apogee wyde eye clock cable with a cheaply mic zerozone lps ... it sounds great between my antipodes ex and cx.

Give it at least 1 week and Afterdark has listed time duration and subjective 100% till 30 days.

I have another cheap MIC oxco clock to the ER before the cx and done many plugging in and out for stock internal femto clock and this MIC oxco clock and obvious preference with the external one.

Hope you had not broken the moat which I find the most critical but complex in my dual ERs setup.

Then again, yymv on subjective improvement which is also system and person dependent.

Wish you hear improvement in due time .. cheers.

20211105_135045.jpg

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Is anyone using the Aurealis Dueland Silver BNC clock cables with the After Dark/EtherRegen combo successfully?

I was getting ready to buy one and Geoff at Aurealis mentioned he had some recent negative feedback from a user using this combo (although the Antipodes CX/EX was also in the loop) 

Hi Frank,

That was me but it has nothing to do with sound quality ... Geoff is cool to share this "negative feedback" before me and I will do so for clarification.

I bought 5 pcs of the Aurealis dueland silver version with silver plated BNC connector with carbon shielding since I am also one that is ok for aud200 cables instead of current MIJ proaudio Canare's 5.5cuhd at affordable $ but not those more ex than ER itself ... since invested already into usd4k oladra upgrade for already not inexpensive cx+ex+p1+p2 stack, 2x ERs, AD's emperor double crown clock etc.

The issue is that I needed the clock cables used with the ERs to run through a forest of 3-4 power and dc cables for the ER with AD's clock between my Antipodes cx and ex in close proximity and I found after days of trying that perhaps due to the level of screening or attenuation at 10Mhz, connection of ERs will drop and not work as we all know .. ER cannot hv clock signal intermittently lost. Reverting to Canare or Aplogee clock cables resolves this issue that can be 10 mins or few hours. I do not experienced the same for the ER from my wifi mesh and CX while using the china clock.

Geoff nicely refund me for 2 cables to keep to the same previous Canare 5.5cuhd while I kept the remaining 3 Aurealis dueland cables to sync my Avatar transport, Hermes ddc and Terminator Plus that are working fine. Can only guess that these does not have the issue of not working even if there is intermittent loss of clock signal while noting that they are not in the company of such "forest" of other power and dc cables.

Hopes this clarifies and I would further add that the sound quality of these cable from my Avator and DCC sounds fine and no worse than Canare and Apogee ones. No bat's ears or reviewer's superlative adjectives as well as not sure if it is the upgraded mundorf caps in my Terminator Plus completing their burning in but system seems more musical and indeed "warmer" with midrange texture without any loss of details ?

Btw, Canare's 5.5cuhd is vfm at few tens of dollars if in doubt and sounds great while 8cuhd with even lower 10khz attenuation is probably a bit too stiff .. do get factory terminated and tested ones.

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Thank you for your feedback @richard_crl032

Will also check out the Canare

Hi Frank,

Detailed specifications are here:

https://www.canare.co.jp/en/products/cables/index.php?tid=4_010_uc

L-5.5cuhd were bought Yen2000/usd20 from here via Sendico:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220129-195854_Chrome.jpg

images.jpeg

• AfterDark. changed the title to Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen
11 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Can anyone confirm it is ok to hot swap BNC cables or do you have to power down the devices first?

Hi Frank,

You cannot when used with ER .. once clock signal is lost, the ER will not work even if reconnected when you had selected eternal clock. 

You have to switch off/on the ER with the clock signal present for ER to work.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hello - thanks everyone for the BNC cable/hot swap advice

One other thing I noticed with my clock. This material was attached on the bottom:

Did anyone else with this clock have this? Looks unfinished to me or it could have some important/specific purpose. I have not removed to see what is under it

Maybe Adrian can comment

IMG_0900.jpeg

Hi Frank

Nothing underneath there I believe .. just soundproof damping material with the idea to also damp vibration of the enclosure. 

Not sure when or how effective but perhaps mu metal will be next possible mods for ER, clock and LPS enclosure like in the enclosure of my stock Bel Canto FM-1 tuner 😊

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=mumetal

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220130-194614_Chrome.jpg

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You must be joking. You can’t repair a sealed unit, like the OCXO is. If you look inside, that’s basically what you find. And you can’t destroy it by open the case. 
You can possibly rip off that cable he uses inside the box. Easy to solder back on. 

Aaah .. leave all the mentioned damping material, leather etc. applied to the oxco as is that is seen in my AD emperor double crown clock but use whatever paste between them and this proposed tungsten block and not directly onto the clock like the China clock without them ?  I must hv been confused and my apology but I am not joking.

Adrian is here and can advise I guess.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, sakso136 said:

Deleted .. oops I should not comment on other clocks on AD's sponsored thread. With apology.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@richard_crl032

I was more thinking the tungsten block as an alternative to what Adrian is covering his clock with. The tungsten ought to be fare more efficient. It remains to to how many will try and report back.

As a start one could remove it, (only inside), and test if any changes appear. 

If a paste is needed or preferred, I would use same as on computer processors. Optional double sided tape, or just nothing. I may reuse AD material. Cut in two or three, and use it on the sides and just tape around. Just to keep the tungsten block in place. 
However the clock shouldn’t be to much isolated, so don’t try use any isolating material, in order to keep the clock warm. 

660133AC-1526-4DE9-B3AF-C13FF2438AA8.jpeg

D4B615CC-4B7C-40E8-A1E0-E9DFD5BFE0E7.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow ... nice and neat on the china clock to experiment with especially since inexpensive to do so ! 😍

For my much much more expensive AD clock with already installed damping solution, I will hesitate with the mod since I have no equipment to measure against the nicely already provided test report if indeed any improvement made or worse still deterioration in addition to warranty concern or resale value.

Do try the less destructive Mu metal mod in addition if indeed helps in sound quality to advise if possible 🙏🙏

Thanks and cheers.