IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

On 11/25/2021 at 1:45 PM, MikePid said:

Good luck with setting things up.  I am really glad I went with this set up.  the mini M1 is an amazing box for the money, which lets me do DSD256 with ECv2.  Currently back to ext2 from guass-long, but it is a real luxury to have so many options!  And the mini is dead quiet and not warm at all despite pushing the performance cores to their limit.

Yes, same here re all-the-above - though I’m yet to try ECv2.

Waiting on someone to report on progress or not with the new M1 max etc ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

@MikePid

Given all of the PCM & DSD default options, how does one chose each one? Is it just pot luck or is there some guidance that you take into account?

Also, the only way that my DAC was an option in Device, was if I selected CoreAudio in Backend. - Why?

Also, what is NetWorkAudioAdapter IPv6?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions.

I too have stumbled into the utilisation of hQPlayer.

I spent weeks tearing my hair out because any setting that I selected in HQPlayer  was never saved -because the save icon was obscured by my laptop's display setting!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I found by chance.

I have a Acer Laptop swift 3  Ryzen 5 3500U  - I have increased the power from the default of 15 to 25.

Liquid metal on the CPU

Buffer size 1024 ms

80% utilisation 3 GHz

HQP settings

poly - sic -gauss

ASDM7EC

DSD 128

Temps circa 80C

On 11/26/2021 at 3:39 AM, bobflood said:

Jussi,  Quick question: When I start-up HQP on my Mini M1, I get a message that network QoS if unavailable. It disappears after 3 or 4 seconds. Is this normal behavior or is something amiss? I don't seem to be having any playback issues but I just wanted to be sure.

Edit: OK, I didn't read carefully enough. On macOS it may be due to system permissions, but if it fails and the requested permissions have been granted, there's nothing much more one can do.

Are you on stock Windows 10 or Windows 11?

If you use something like Audiophile Optimizer or Fidelizer, those can break HQPlayer in such ways.

If you are on some (unsupported) Windows Server edition, you may need to install additional OS components so that you have all the required parts installed.

Without QoS support HQPlayer cannot control network I/O priorities and you may encounter bandwidth issues with NAAs and such.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Schafheide said:

@MikePid

Given all of the PCM & DSD default options, how does one chose each one? Is it just pot luck or is there some guidance that you take into account?

Also, the only way that my DAC was an option in Device, was if I selected CoreAudio in Backend. - Why?

Just my personal experience with mini M1 and Holo DAC-----I much prefer PCM 1.536M/LN15 with M1/holo DAC. Make sure set the bit to 20. For DSD, my M1 best setting is 5EC/256DSD/Sinc-L. But all of the above required NAA with Jussi free image. HQP does not do well with M1 without a NAA, especially for Holo DAC. This is only my two cents, others might have different preference. I was very hesitate to touch NAA at first because I am not good at computer. But I am so happy that I added the NAA to my M1/Holo combination afterward.

3 hours ago, Schafheide said:

@pis99

Could you please elaborate on your thoughts re mini M1 with Holo May. Is it just Dop vs native DSD?

On my present Auralic based setup I cannot hear any difference between DoP & native.

Nor can I hear the difference between DSD256 & 512 & 1024.

I would try not have Auralic in front of HQP and remove SU-6 after HQP. Get the Mini USB out directly to May and see how you like the sound. In the end , putting a NAA in between M1 and Holo dac (I have spring 3 L3) is the best combination I learned from my journey. And just like you, I failed and disappointed so many times during trial. 

15 hours ago, Schafheide said:

@MikePid

Your questions about all of the choices is common for those new to HQPlayer.  What I did was follow the various forum threads like this one and try what others are doing.  There is no right answer, only your answer.  And the DAC and other equipment all have an affect too!  The good news is that it is hard to go wrong with the choices as they are all good.  Most strive to experiment to see what is better.  My choices come from what others say sounds good to them, and if I like it then I stick with that for a while until someone suggests other settings.

The Network Audio Adapter setting is so my mini M1 sends the music over ethernet to my NAA (ultraRendu) rather than through CoreAudio and USB.  That allows me to send native DSD out of the Mac instead of DoP.  It also provides some noise isolation.  

To answer one of your later questions, there should be no difference in sound with native DSD vs. DSP, it is just that DoP takes twice the bandwidth, so for my DAC which accepts only up to DSD256, if I use DoP I can only upsample to DSD128.  So if you hit a limitation like that, then there is a sound quality difference, but that is because of the sample rate not DoP itself.  

A forum like this is the right place for asking all your good questions.  Also check the other HQPlayer topics.  I have been using HQPlayer for more than 3 years, and I still have questions!

Best advice I've heard here is to enjoy the music.  Most of us enjoy the music more when it sounds better, which is why we keep looking for other settings!  The trifecta of DSD256, EC (or ECv2) modulators, and either poly-sinc-gauss-long or poly-sinc-ext2 seems to what many mini M1 have recently settled on for 44.1k source.  Don't stress about it, just play!

@MikePid

I want to avoid, if possible another box + software + cable (a Raspberry Pi based solution is about AUD1000 - way too much at this stage).

My DAC will accept up to 512 DoP or 1024 native. In any case I cannot hear a sound improvement above DSD256 - 256 DoP should be fine. I am only doing this because some say that HQPlayer into Holo May is better SQ than Auralic Aries G2.1 - time will tell!

Thank you once again for your input.

From what some people say, rates above DSD256 have diminishing returns.  DSD256 seems to be a sweet spot, except for the die-hards and fanatics (which is probably most people on this forum 🤣).  Since your DAC can handle higher DoP rates, you should be fine with DoP.

There's a saying I've seen a few times around here:  some people use music to listen to their equipment, and others use their equipment to listen to their music.

Well it needs more listening but, considering the price difference (Mini M1 + HQP = AUD1500 vs Auralic Aries G2.1 = AUD7500) and even though the fact that the Aries is also more user friendly ( no setting up req'd + better interface) - Is it worth paying the extra AUD6000? At this stage the answer is no.

But still a few little things to sort out!

On 11/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, Schafheide said:

Well it needs more listening but, considering the price difference (Mini M1 + HQP = AUD1500 vs Auralic Aries G2.1 = AUD7500) and even though the fact that the Aries is also more user friendly ( no setting up req'd + better interface) - Is it worth paying the extra AUD6000? At this stage the answer is no.

But still a few little things to sort out!

Now you have my attention!

Please elaborate.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, Schafheide said:

@MikePid

I want to avoid, if possible another box + software + cable (a Raspberry Pi based solution is about AUD1000 - way too much at this stage).

My DAC will accept up to 512 DoP or 1024 native. In any case I cannot hear a sound improvement above DSD256 - 256 DoP should be fine. I am only doing this because some say that HQPlayer into Holo May is better SQ than Auralic Aries G2.1 - time will tell!

Thank you once again for your input.

Are you telling me that a Raspberry Pi costs 1000 AUD?

No electron left behind.