IGNORED

Purifi Class D

I'm interested to hear what you think about the Weiss op amps. I recently completed a DIY build of a pair of monoblocks using the Purifi modues with Neurochrome buffers. I decided to go with a large linear power supply because I was disappointed with the performance of my last class D amps (Nord NC500 with Hypex SMPS), and also since I could build it myself. So far, I'm liking the Purifi amps much more than the Nords. Much better dynamics and sound staging, and a smoother, airier midrange and high-end (although my old ears don't hear high frequencies like they used to). The amps currently have a few hundred hours on them, so they may still have a bit more break-in to go.

Each monoblock has a 1500VA custom Toroidy transformer with approximately 200,000uF of filter caps (CRCRC for high voltage rails, CRC followed by low noise regulator for buffer stages). 

The Neurochrome buffers are very neutral sounding with very low noise and distortion, but I'm wondering whether an input buffer that adds a little more character would be preferable (I like to experiment). So I'm considering building (or buying) an input buffer with the Weiss op amps, or maybe VTV's tube buffer. 

top 1200.jpg

amp 1200.jpg

SGC i9, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B SET monoblocks, DIY GR-Research Line Force speakers with Triple-Threat subs, PS-Audio P12, Iconoclast XLR, Kimber KS-3035.

@fas42 - yes, I agree. But commercial designers have to optimize performance for the cost and, while I believe that a high capacity power supply has definite SQ advantages, it’s not as clear that the improvements would justify the cost increase if building a commercial product - at least as far as I have taken it.

But since I only have to please myself, my general philosophy is to cram as much power supply into the box as I can make fit. 

@RickyV - I’m using a preamp I built myself. It uses a Khozmo stepped attenuator with an opamp output stage. I’m very pleased with the clarity and detail (it was a substantial improvement over my Parasound JC-2), but it is also fairly neutral sounding. I’m in the process of building another preamp which will use a fully discrete output stage with a high bias single ended class A output. 

I’ve had tube preamps in the past and the slow deterioration in SQ drove me nuts. I think I’ll be able to dial in the sound of the Purifi amps to my liking with a few more tweaks (or perhaps with just a bit more burnin). 

The power supplies for the high voltage rails are built using two Daisy chained universal power supply boards from the diyaudiostore. The low voltage supplies are built with two boards I bought from Jims Audio, again Daisy chained, but with resistors between the two boards since these boards aren’t designed with a CRC topology.  

SGC i9, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B SET monoblocks, DIY GR-Research Line Force speakers with Triple-Threat subs, PS-Audio P12, Iconoclast XLR, Kimber KS-3035.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I listen to my system about eight hours a day since I've been working at home for the past year and my desk/computer are at the back end of my listening room. I've been quite pleased with my Purifi based amps. I also have a number of class A and A/B amps that I've compared them to including a couple older amps (Krell KAV-250a, Bryston 4B-ST), a Parasound JC5,  DIY FirstWatt F5 turbo monoblocks, and Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks. The Purifi amps compare favorably to all these. 

For the last couple weeks, I've been listening to the Purifi amps with VTV buffers that utilize a 6922 dual-triode feeding a pair of Weiss discrete op-amps. At first, I was disappointed with the sound compared to the Neurochrome buffers, but I'm starting to enjoy the sound. I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to them, or if they are still breaking in. I have around 100 hours on them now. Unfortunately, it's a pain to switch back and forth since they use different connectors. After I put another 100 or so hours on them, I may switch back to give the Neurochrome buffers another try. 

Unless the VTV buffers continue to improve a fair amount more, I'd have to say that the Neurochrome buffers are a much better value. But I'm also considering trying a different set of tubes to see how much difference that makes. 

16 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

Well tubes can make a huge difference, but I do trust VTV to have selected some that match well (he's been in the tube business for decades).

Yes, I suspect you are right. It comes with Genalex Gold Lion tubes which seem to be fairly well regarded for a new production tube. 

• 1 year later...

I built a pair of monoblocks with a (way overkill) linear power supplies incorporating a custom Toroidy 1500VA transformer, 134K uF caps for the high voltage rails, 54KuF for the low voltage rails. This is for each monoblock. I have experimented with a couple of different input buffers. I currently have the VTV tube input buffer installed which uses a single 6DJ8 and a pair of Weiss discrete op amps. 

The amp sounds very nice, but doesn't quite match either my Pass XA60.8s or my DIY PSET 300B monoblocks which use the Western Electric reissue 300B tubes. I've had the 300B amp in my system most of the time over the past year - definitely my favorite.

I have another Purifi stereo amp built with an SMPS and Neurochrome buffers. The monoblocks have a deeper sound stage, more natural decay, and a bit more meat on the bones in the upper bass (most obvious with male vocals, saxophone, etc.). 

top 1200.jpg

• 5 months later...

It is nice to have the option to be able to tailor the sound with different input buffers, particularly for a product designed for the DIYer. Although the all-in-one approach is certainly simpler for the less-experienced builder and is more likely to deliver a consistent result. 

I really wish that it was easy to tell how something was going to sound based on the published measurements, but I have not found that to be the case.

For example, I had the Orchard Audio GaN amp on home trial for a week and compared it to my other amps. I had a couple audiophiles over where we compared the amp to my other amps. In my system, the Orchard amp sounded like I had heavy drapes in front of my speakers. The soundstage was shallow and recessed, and overall sounded somewhat muted. Based on its excellent specs and many positive reviews, I'm sure that this amp can sound great, but it sure didn't in my system. 

By far my favorite amp in my system is a 300B SET amp. This amp has far worse objective measurements than my Purifi monoblocks or even my Pass XA60.8 class A monoblocks (now sold), but has more detail, better tone, and a deeper, wider soundstage. 

Of course, these are subjective opinions, but shared by many of my audiophile friends that are familiar with my system.

21 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Because what one hears is the system, not a component - there is not a "good car tyre!", but there is a tyre which best complements the engineering of the vehicle's suspension and drive train, at that moment ... that's the way I think about getting the best from a system.

Yes, I agree, which is why I have found published specs next to useless in determining the components I prefer. 

That said, I build a lot of my own equipment and use measurements a great deal to help refine my designs and verify my builds. But this is after using sound engineering in the design. 

• 3 weeks later...