IGNORED

COS D10 all-in-one DAC

46 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

Mr. Putzeys is a great engineer and a designer and both Makua and Tambaqui are excellent products. Makua being a fully pledged preamp with all the additional inputs and modular design also has a price tag to go with it, at around £8,000. And that's without a DAC board, which is around £6,000 in addition, that's £14,000! Now you should be able to see what I mean by 'it is more than I need'. Tambaqui is around £9,000 which makes it a better value, hence why I am considering it, but unfortunately it lacks analog input, which is I would also like to have.
So, I have nothing against the Mola Mola units, they are much more expensive and don't quit match my needs.

That's why I am considering alternative DACs with great sound quality at reasonable prices that offer analog volume, streaming and one analog input. I would like to read more reviews about COS D10 to see if it actually sounds as good as I expect.

DS 10 costs around 5,400 euros with the streaming module included, which makes it an excellent value. And upgrading to Lindemann Source would only cost me 1,500 euros.
And there are quite a few others too. Looking at all the options, reading about them and obtaining input from experienced users such as yourself is part of the fun. 

These cost considerations do not make any sense in the context of your 65k GBP ATC speaker system.

The ATCs show you exactly the quality of the upstream components and you will get a great reward when you invest in source components. 

A system with a better source can easily outperform another system with better speakers.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

7 hours ago, matthias said:

These cost considerations do not make any sense in the context of your 65k GBP ATC speaker system.

The ATCs show you exactly the quality of the upstream components and you will get a great reward when you invest in source components. 

A system with a better source can easily outperform another system with better speakers.

Matt

I knew the cost of my ATCs will come up in the discussion eventually, and thank you for raising it, Matt. :)

You are absolutely right about my system deserving the best matching source to give me the best sound quality possible. In fact, I am still waiting to decide on a DAC that I can purchase and forget for a long time, as I did with the ATC active speakers since 1998 and finally deciding on their top model EL 150As. I have been using them since 2010 with great enjoyment.

So, I am also looking for a DAC that I can decide to buy and use for a very long time. Of course, it has to be modular and upgradeable so that I can take advantage of any new developments.
In fact, I even got my EL150As upgraded to the new ATC tweeters; it's all ATC drivers now and it does make a difference.
So, for now I am just trying out different DACs every 2-3 years without spending too much before deciding on a long term DAC.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

3 hours ago, mevdinc said:

So, I am also looking for a DAC that I can decide to buy and use for a very long time. Of course, it has to be modular and upgradeable so that I can take advantage of any new developments.

I also suggest the new Rockna Wavelight DAC.

It is a R2R FPGA DAC which gets updates from time to time, it has one analog input with variable gain and it has an analog volume control to drive perfectly your ATCs. The price should be much less than 5k GBPs.

There is a new review by Joel Chevassus from audiophile-magazine.com. According to him the SQ is not far from the Tambaqui and superior to the Terminator.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

44 minutes ago, matthias said:

I also suggest the new Rockna Wavelight DAC.

It is a R2R FPGA DAC which gets updates from time to time, it has one analog input with variable gain and it has an analog volume control to drive perfectly your ATCs. The price should be much less than 5k GBPs.

There is a new review by Joel Chevassus from audiophile-magazine.com. According to him the SQ is not far from the Tambaqui and superior to the Terminator.

Matt

Thank Matt.
I will definitely check it out, sounds very promising.

21 hours ago, Perfect sense said:

The Rockna Wavelight DAC is wonderful and what I believe to be a bargain at the price point. It's very different from the Mola Mola offerings though in terms of sound characteristics.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

BTW, will you you be stocking COS D10 at all?
It would be great to see how it fairs with all the DACs you have and hear your own personal comments too.

3 hours ago, mevdinc said:

BTW, will you you be stocking COS D10 at all?
It would be great to see how it fairs with all the DACs you have and hear your own personal comments too.

COS is already a permanent part of our portfolio and offering here within this segment. The D10 is a very impressive, versatile and flexible unit. As for the sound quality and characteristics, I need some more time to get a clear sense of everything. 

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

5 hours ago, Perfect sense said:

COS is already a permanent part of our portfolio and offering here within this segment. The D10 is a very impressive, versatile and flexible unit. As for the sound quality and characteristics, I need some more time to get a clear sense of everything. 

That's great. Look forward to hearing more from you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend has the COS H1 and after I heard it, I decided to audition the D2v.  His H1 has a thinner midrange tonal balance, deep, punchy bass and airy, open highs.  My D2v doesn't lack in the frequency extremes but has a more American balance with almost lush mids, powerful full bass and smooth highs.  It sounds right for all music.  I like the H1 when hearing a system which has a smaller sound as it opens it up and makes mini-monitors have really great bass.  For my higher end system with Legacy Focus speakers, the D2v is wonderful.  I might prefer the D1; however, the small volume indicator lights are a big negative compared to the easy to read, large volume control oled in this unit.  The primary differences appear to be the power supply with the H1 having a switching power supply and the D1 having dual linear power supplies.  The D1 weighs in at 22 lbs and the H1/D2v at 1/3 or even less.  The DS10 sounds like a D2 with streamer, making it an excellent buy as well.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, Perfect sense said:

Do you have any comments/thoughts to share on COS D10? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, SeagoatLeo said:

I am now auditioning the D1.  After about 40 or 50 hours of use, I can definitely state that it has significantly superior resolution, bass and open highs compared to my D2v.  It also is the most relaxed sounding digital, resembling great vinyl sound (relaxed not meaning lacking in dynamics).  COS Engineering really put their all in creating this statement DAC.   

That's good to know!

By any chance, do happen to also compare the D1 to other DACs like Tambaqui and DAVE? 

58 minutes ago, andrewinukm said:

That's good to know!

By any chance, do happen to also compare the D1 to other DACs like Tambaqui and DAVE? 

These products are very different and not really comparable but also double the price compared to the COS D10.

Chord DAVE is primarily a DAC with headphone output where Mola Mola Tambaqui is primarily a DAC with streaming and headphone output. COS D10 is a preamp (with analogue inputs) with DAC + streamer and RIAA option at half the price.

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

33 minutes ago, Perfect sense said:

These products are very different and not really comparable but also double the price compared to the COS D10.

Chord DAVE is primarily a DAC with headphone output where Mola Mola Tambaqui is primarily a DAC with streaming and headphone output. COS D10 is a preamp (with analogue inputs) with DAC + streamer and RIAA option at half the price.

Marcus,
I am still waiting for your impressions and comments on the sound quality of D10. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 8:52 PM, SeagoatLeo said:

I can't respond to the sound of the D10.  It reportedly sounds like the D2 which is great news.  I bought the D1; however, to obtain maximum sound quality, I used a 100% copper foil power cable from Verastarr and use Stillpoints instead of the spiked metal feet.  The D2 and H1 have compliant feet and could sit on glass, wood and granite and maintain the same sound.  The D1 is picky.  The H1 and D2 also prefer neutral sounding cabling.  All silver cabling could be a benefit but not all copper (too dark).  I just purchased another D2 for my living room system at a discounted price.  I use the bargain priced, high end GroverHuffman Pharoah cabling for the D2 which is neutral sounding.   The D1 is equivalent to my friend's Meridian Ultra Dac which is $23,000 (we compared them in his high end system).  Discounted, the D1 is a steal (with correct cabling and footers).  

I have had the D2 in my system for nearly 2 years, a great sounding DAC that gets very much out of the way. Listening now to a D10 in my system is a whole other story, quite the upgrade from a D2. The D10 sounds authoritative and very involving with a great sense of grounding and a large and deep soundstage. I absolutely love it. The streaming module in combination with Roon is fantastic. I also really like the fact that COS have a software controlled option of switching the buffer; it will automatically switch off when using the TOS link input. So no more manual switching when watching TV over optical :) For the price this device is a no-brainer.