IGNORED

COS D10 all-in-one DAC

On 11/22/2020 at 5:32 PM, Rexp said:

It sounds nice and glare free in this video, of course the server manufacture claims alot of the credit:

Ummm!!!  I fail to see the relevance of trying to determine audiophile level sound quality via a streamed video, recorded almost certainly by a crappy microphone, likely subject to a few AD/DA conversions and digital format conversions on its way to us, and very likely transmitted i by a lossy compression codec?  Everytime I see these "video reviews" it makes me cringe with wonder at how anyone could use these to assess possible sound quality in a high end sense?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mevdinc said:

@andrewinukm,

Thanks for further input.

For me, the problem with Tambaqui and similar DACs is that they don't have a pre-amp built-in. I only listen to digital sources but I want a DAC that provides all in one box solution such as Lindemann I have now and COS D10. COS D10 is modular too, you can even add a phono later if you want.

I have an active speaker system and prefer to keep it simple by just going DAC direct to my actives. Having a good analog volume plus analog inputs also gives COS D10 advantage.
In fact, recently I even started considering upgrading my Lindemann Musicbook DSD 20 to their new Musicbook Source, the same functionality as my existing DAC but with improved streaming and SQ.

The Mola Mola solution for you would then be the Makua preamp, with the same DAC as the Tambaqui internally.  It can also include a very, very good phono preamp onboard, and of course includes inputs for additional sources.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, mevdinc said:

I never liked the idea of having a separate preamp in the chain. I believe in less is more and in my experience, a DAC with a good volume control/preamp connected directly to amp gives better results. 
Thanks for your input.

What???  You just said you needed a preamp in the chain because you want to have multiple sources???  The Mola Mola Makua is still a single box solution, it has the DAC onboard and connects directly to the amplifier?

If you want, call it a DAC with an internal preamp, that is what it is.  You can also add an internal phone stage, and remove another box from your set up if you would like.

So with Mola Mola you can have either approach:

The Tambaqui, a stand alone DAC with volume control designed for connecting to amp(s) directly

Or the Makua, with the DAC module onboard which allows for multiple inputs and direct connection to the amp(s).

Either way they have you covered.

SONORE computer audio

@mevdinc: I still do not understand why you think the Makua, with the DAC option is "more than I need".  The phono stage is optional, you are not obliged to add it.  It appears that you would like a DAC with an analog volume control and an analog input, that is exactly what the Makua preamp, with the DAC option added is.  Yes, it has a few more analog inputs, but those do not add any additional circuitry except for the switches used to select them, it does not add anything to the circuit in use, there are no additional gain stages or anything, vs. a stand alone DAC like the Tambaqui.  It is a simple and basic component from a signal perspective, and uses, arguably, the very best analog volume control approach: adjustable gain, which does not throw any of the signal away, unlike resistive volume controls which add noise and distortion in the signal path.

My system is digital only, so I use a Bricasti M3 DAC with its analog volume control, but I would rather own the Tambaqui, but it is a bit more money than I care to spend on a DAC, otherwise it sounds fantastic-although I have no fear of digital volume controls when well implemented, and I trust that Mr. Putzeys has designed a very, very good implementation.

SONORE computer audio