IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

Maybe some dumb questions, but here goes.

I just ordered a pair of high end speakers in the $4,500 each range (will be stereo initially but later multichannel).  My understanding is that they are very resolving so I should clean up my system to make sure quality music is sent to my speakers.  Currently, classical and jazz/blues music (mostly DSD256, DSD64 and 24/192) is stored on my QNAP NAS.  I use JRiver on my homebuilt computer to access music files, convert to PCM 24/192, and send it via HDMI (NVidia video card) to Marantz AV8805.  The Marantz does the digital to analog conversion and sends the analog signal to my amplifier, Parasound Halo A52+.  In my current multichannel system my speakers (about $500 each, designed for home theater) do not resolve well enough to hear any problems.  But, my new speakers may demand better.

As I understand it, I should use the Exasound asio driver and via USB send the file from my computer to the S88.  Correct?  The S88 takes the file and does "magic" to make sure it is "perfect".  Computers, theoretically, are messy (distortion, clock problems, etc.).  The S88 cleans all that up? 

The S88 also converts DSD to analog which I will send to the Marantz (not my amplifier).  I would also benefit from the S88's ability to convert DSD to analog?

Lastly, does the S88 DAC also function as a so-called network bridge? 

Thank you very much.

Marcus

Las Vegas, NV

50 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

As I understand it, I should use the Exasound asio driver and via USB send the file from my computer to the S88.  Correct?

Yes or via LAN.

51 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Lastly, does the S88 DAC also function as a so-called network bridge? 

Yes.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

After a couple emails with George, I ordered the S88.  Build will take a couple weeks.  I also ordered the Teddy Pardo power supply.  Interestingly, I asked about using my homebuilt Core i7 Windows 10 computer (JRiver pulling files from my NAS).  He said he uses two different home built Windows computers for testing and I should be fine.  The S88 is likely to show up about the same time as my new speakers.  It will be a wild (but exciting) time getting everything set up.

Marcus

Las Vegas

13 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

After a couple emails with George, I ordered the S88.  Build will take a couple weeks.  I also ordered the Teddy Pardo power supply.  Interestingly, I asked about using my homebuilt Core i7 Windows 10 computer (JRiver pulling files from my NAS). 

Congratulations.  I am using a similar setup.

Kal Rubinson

Kal, thank you very much for your encouraging words.

Why am I doing this?  I ordered Spatial Audio Lab X3 open baffle speakers for my new left/right channels.  All users of these speakers use high quality DACS.  I'm 70 and now retired.  I want to indulge myself before my hearing goes away (LOL).  Also, I enjoy providing "cogent" commentary on classical SACDs on HRAudio.net.  It occurred to me that I cannot provide adequate commentary unless I use a highly resolving system.  This will, I hope, provide me with lots of enjoyment and encouragement to continue providing commentary.

Marcus

Las Vegas

Once the S88 arrives, I'll need to make a decision.  Do I use my Marantz AV8805 pre/pro using analog in from the S88?  Or, do I connect directly from the S88 to my amplifier?

George informed me that if I use the JRiver WDM driver, I can play the audio from Windows Apps like Amazon Music HD, Netflix, etc. through JRiver and then through the S88.  I tested this yesterday (well, not including the S88 yet) and it works just fine.  I don't even see an audio/video sync issue.  I have an older OPPO (BDP93) SACD player that I can COAX out to the S88 (I know, stereo only).  I hardly ever use it anymore since all music is ripped to my NAS.  And my Panasonic BD player I can Optical out to the S88.  I hardly use this device anymore either since all movies (including 4K) are ripped to my NAS.  My projector has three HDMI video inputs for video from my computer, OPPO and BD Player.

Given my situation, I think I will connect the S88 via XLR directly to my amplifier and XLR to my subwoofers.  I like the idea that the S88 will play every file natively (stereo or multichannel) with no up sampling.  If someone sees a big advantage to routing audio through the Marantz, please let me know.  I have about another week before the S88 arrives.

Thanks!  Marcus

You can also do what Kal has done and what I will shorty do as well - use a Coleman 7.1SW switcher. I have a Marantz SSP in my family room system, a 75" TCL 4k TV, and so I'll be able to switch between the s88 and the Marantz SSP. So far I've been listening strictly without a switcher and lovin' it - Kal has a reputation for great ears and has stated that the switcher did not negatively effect the sonics. I will soon find out.

I have Kal to thanks for turning me on to Coleman.  I have a Coleman Audio ab5.1 (6 channel switcher with 1/4" TRS in/outs).  This was found used on Ebay for $100.  And this way I can have different lengths (or even different brands) of balanced cabling, one for each channel.  For example my rear monoblocks are 40 ft runs, but fronts are less than 10.  That's tougher to do with db25 snakes. 

Ted B, I assume if my memory is correct you are the ONE who got us going on ripping SACDs both stereo and multi-channel. So by the way, just in case you or others don't know, I recently discovered a UK website with great pricing on new and recent SACDs including multi-channel SACDs of quadraphonic recordings back in the seventies. Great pricing. I ordered a shitload of them to rip.  duttonvocalion.co.uk store: | SACD & Surround Sound | | 2

Posted at ROON Community forum link follows: At End of MultiChannel DSD256 Albums Always a Loud Pop That Can Blow Tweeters But Only If Speaker Distance Settings Are Enabled! - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

If you use ROON for multi-channel and have some DSD256 multi-channel albums, or if you can upsample to DSD256, please play the very end of the albums at a low level (so you do not get loud pops to blow out your tweeters) and tell us if you also get the loud pops. Before you try this, go into the DSP settings and set and apply speaker distances. In my system, with my previous Sonic Transporter i7, and now with my Exasound Delta server, this occurs. Its obviously the “fault” of the ROON software, not the servers, because it occurs with both servers whenever DSD256 multi-channel is played AND speaker distances are enabled in the DSP settings. I did a ROON support tag on this several months ago but ROON has done nothing to remedy this. Its especially frustrating because I have some native DSD256 Yuko Mabuchi and other stuff and if I want to play at a good level, I need to downsample to DSD128 to avoid the loud pop that can blow my tweeters!

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Posted at ROON Community forum link follows: At End of MultiChannel DSD256 Albums Always a Loud Pop That Can Blow Tweeters But Only If Speaker Distance Settings Are Enabled! - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

If you use ROON for multi-channel and have some DSD256 multi-channel albums, or if you can upsample to DSD256, please play the very end of the albums at a low level (so you do not get loud pops to blow out your tweeters) and tell us if you also get the loud pops. Before you try this, go into the DSP settings and set and apply speaker distances. In my system, with my previous Sonic Transporter i7, and now with my Exasound Delta server, this occurs. Its obviously the “fault” of the ROON software, not the servers, because it occurs with both servers whenever DSD256 multi-channel is played AND speaker distances are enabled in the DSP settings. I did a ROON support tag on this several months ago but ROON has done nothing to remedy this. Its especially frustrating because I have some native DSD256 Yuko Mabuchi and other stuff and if I want to play at a good level, I need to downsample to DSD128 to avoid the loud pop that can blow my tweeters!

Tried that exactly and there are no loud pops.  Not with Jriver either.

Kal Rubinson

My S88 was shipped last week.  FedEx is still showing it is in MEMPHIS, TN.  Customs maybe or coming via ground shipping to Las Vegas.  I did get in the optional Teddy Pardo power supply.  The owner's manual says "one full week" of burn-in time.  Also, turn on 30 minutes prior to using so the internal capacitors can get up to a full charge.

I guess my question is:  Do any of you simply turn on the S88 and both power supplies and just leave them on 24/7?  I think that would be my plan.

Marcus

2 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

My S88 was shipped last week.  FedEx is still showing it is in MEMPHIS, TN.  Customs maybe or coming via ground shipping to Las Vegas.  I did get in the optional Teddy Pardo power supply.  The owner's manual says "one full week" of burn-in time.  Also, turn on 30 minutes prior to using so the internal capacitors can get up to a full charge.

I guess my question is:  Do any of you simply turn on the S88 and both power supplies and just leave them on 24/7?  I think that would be my plan.

Marcus

Me too - usually. If I turn off for nite, in the morning when I turn back on I can hear it takes awhile to sound its best. Not so when leave it on.

Make sure Customs isn't continuing to hold for paperwork. Customs in Memphis is quite incompetent. Exasound provides the correct international shipment paperwork to FedEx, but in my experience customs never can find the paperwork and Exasound has to send it to them at least once extra time. 

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Me too - usually. If I turn off for nite, in the morning when I turn back on I can hear it takes awhile to sound its best. Not so when leave it on.

Make sure Customs isn't continuing to hold for paperwork. Customs in Memphis is quite incompetent. Exasound provides the correct international shipment paperwork to FedEx, but in my experience customs never can find the paperwork and Exasound has to send it to them at least once extra time. 

Thanks for the tip.  If no action tomorrow, I'll email George to see if he can push it along.

Marcus

I emailed George this morning and he replied very quickly (nice).  He said he will check into the delay in Memphis, TN.  He said this is not unusual.  I hope he can coax the S88 out of customs so FedEx can get it to me here in Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks again for the tip about customs in Memphis.  Interesting that I got the Teddy Pardo power supply from Israel last week.

Marcus

I love my Exasound s88 DAC! And I like the Exasound Delta Server used for ROON Core as well - (I had a Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP previously, the one with 2 ethernet ports, which is for sale now). Although the Delta does a great job including upsampling, I am finding what George at Exasound suggested in the first place, that letting the s88 do all the processing sounds as good as it gets, that playing around with upsampling in the ROON Core is hardly any difference. I find upsampling in the ROON Core to be a tad smoother at times but not better - smooth means in this case a tad of a loss of texture. I know that Kal prefers not to upsample prior to the s88 as well.

My issue with DSD256 multichannel having a pop at the very end of the album seems to have resolved. YEA! (Not sure why, but I'll take it).

Perhaps its cause I recently installed 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits, same phase, back to my theater dedicated same phase panel???

This is my family room system. Speakers are on wall and grandchild proof. 3 Totem Acoustic Tribe V with 3 PS Audio M1200 monoblocks;

2 Totem Acoustic Tribe III with 2 PS Audio M700 monoblocks; 2 REL S/510 subwoofers; PS Audio P15 power regenerator feeding 5 monoblocks on one circuit; subwoofers on other circuit. Both stereo and multi-channel sound wonderful. My theater is being redone and I used my superduper expensive Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP in the family room, using its speaker remapping and optimization/room correction; although it sounds very nice (processes up to 192-24), the s88, playing everything native up to MCh DSD256 or 2Ch DSD512, sounds better even though it has no speaker remapping or optimization. Very pleased with Exasound.

@Steve Bruzonsky, Thanks for sharing your opinion of the S88.  Yes, I'm anxious to get it installed.  I just purchased and installed two Spatial Audio Lab X3 (open baffle) speakers.  50 inches tall with a 15 inch powered subwoofer, 12 inch passive mid range and an Air Motion Tweeter in a wave guide.  I am blown away using these new speakers.  I own mostly classical in DSD and PCM.  If the speakers pass the 60 day in home trial, I will likely buy a third one for the center channel.

Can't wait to try these new speakers with the S88.

Marcus

Las Vegas

Installed the S88 today.  A bit complicated.  A few items did not work as expected.  A couple hours passed and suddenly - working.  I plan on leaving the S88 on 24/7.  There are a couple items that I will contact exaSound about for their help resolving, tomorrow.  New firmware.  Upgraded without difficulty.  Installed exaSound Windows ASIO driver.  No issues.

Results:  Still too early to tell.  Plus, apparently warm up and burn-in are issues to consider.  Leaving it on all night and playing music all night will hopefully, resolve everything by tomorrow morning.  Initial thoughts: detailed resolution of DSD/PCM files.  The way I put it, if the recording microphone picked it up, the DAC will send it to your speakers.  Vocals were better than ever.  However, I need much more time with it to make informed judgments.

I may have to indulge in the "switcher" box to go direct DAC to Amplifier.

Marcus