IGNORED

optical internet conversion

Alex:

Uptone has put a lot of time and effort into isolating network connections after the modem/router. Can we do some type of fiber isolation (ONT) to the coaxial internet connection after it enters our home but before it gets to the modem? That way we we get rid of most of the noise that comes from our internet providers equipment before it gets to our audio system. Sounds like a great new product.

CJH

Oh boy, that is a tough one. The signals on the coax are incredibly complex. Modulating an optical beam with that and then recovering it on the other end is going to be very difficult. Electrical to optical conversions are usually done by decoding the complex electrical signal, then converting to a much faster simple signal to modulate the light beam. Otherwise known as decoding the complex signal on the cable  itnto an Ethernet signal which is still a complex signal, but much less than what is on the external cable, the ER takes the Ethernet and decodes that into a very simple but very fast signal to modulate the light beam.

Trying to do that directly on the cable signal without any form of demodulation is going to be extremely difficult, I don't know of anyone that has ever tried that. I'm certainly NOT going to try that!

John S.

John:

I assumed as much after searching the net for a modem with fiber input and/or output. Thought maybe doing a fiber conversion after the modem but couldn't even find a consumer router with fiber input/output connections. I guess there might be industrial grade stuff out there but probably quite costly. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

CJH

32 minutes ago, CJH said:

John:

I assumed as much after searching the net for a modem with fiber input and/or output. Thought maybe doing a fiber conversion after the modem but couldn't even find a consumer router with fiber input/output connections. I guess there might be industrial grade stuff out there but probably quite costly. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

CJH

Mikrotik and Ubiquiti (probably more as well) have routers with fiber optic connections. 

12 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Mikrotik and Ubiquiti (probably more as well) have routers with fiber optic connections. 

That is if your ISP will allow you to use your own equipment. More often, than not, they will not (Like my ISP - past the fiber they don't care but up the fiber, it is their equipment or nothing).

If you are talking internal house, nevermind :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 8/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, CJH said:

coaxial internet connection after it enters our home

I think the trend has changed to fiber instead of coax into houses.

If you can’t find a router, or your isp won’t allow you to use your own, any FMC will do the job.

And you can also add as many optical modules and etherRegen you like, but I don’t expect it’s worth the effort.

I’m also questioning noise provided by your isp. Speedtest tools show you jitter, but not sure if that’s an indication of noise as we probably think about it. 

You can also build your own firewall/router using Ipfire and reasonable priced HW with fiber interface. This also gives you the opportunity to create a subnet dedicated to audio only if you like. I’m not sure a dedicated net for audio will help.

Creating / using your own DHCP (router), requires that your ISP allows you to bridge their router. If not, maybe that modem/router supplied by your ISP be the most noisiest part. 

So it’s a lot of things you can do after first modem/router supplied by your ISP.

And most problems now a days is related to home network. 

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

That is if your ISP will allow you to use your own equipment. More often, than not, they will not (Like my ISP - past the fiber they don't care but up the fiber, it is their equipment or nothing).

If you are talking internal house, nevermind :D

I have Sky here in the UK, they don’t allow your own equipment, but there’s always a work around. I use Ubiquiti router that can send a string to sky to authenticate me. Sure if you google your provider there will be a solution out there. 

My ISP (a mall local one) has been suing Google and ATT for over-stepping and owing them money. Not sure that will help :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Mine, currently, is optical to Ethernet. When I lived in Boston (that was to 2010), we had FiOS which did the conversion down to COAX. Nothing wrong with that.

I am currently using a COAX to Ethernet adapters so that I don't have to use wireless on my other PC's. My TV is connected to a box uses Ethernet cable, not COAX.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, CJH said:

Due any of the internet providers in the US actually bring the fiber into your home or is it just fiber to a junction box and coax into the home?

CJH

In Chattanooga, it is fiber optic to junction box at house then Ethernet (copper) into house. So the RJ45 connector plugs directly into my Google WiFi router (no modem). Basic package is 300Mbps up & down with 1Gbps up & down available for an additional $10/ mo.