IGNORED

NVMe or SATA SSD for music file storage

I think I'm going NVMe unless anyone can advise against. New build 2TB will take care of it and I'm pretty much done for now (Buhahahahaha...........)

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

3 hours ago, KDinsmore said:

I think I'm going NVMe unless anyone can advise against. New build 2TB will take care of it and I'm pretty much done for now (Buhahahahaha...........)

It sounds like you have already made up your mind. Bear in mind though that NVMe will be powered from the far more  electrically noisy Motherboard, whereas a SATA SSD will normally be powered via plugs with wiring going directly back to the main large filter capacitors in the PSU itself.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

So............SATA SSD is better? I'm totally open to suggestions. I read an article a  while back in Positive Feedback and he was going nuts over NVMe sounding better.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

PCIe based memory has a more ''direct'' path, but is less flexible and ideal when it comes to power as explained,
SATA allows use of external/modified power supplies more easily.

ime NVMe just sounds plain worse regardless of power or the direct path.
PCIe Optane is the ultimate storage option but is expensive and limited to smaller capacities

On 7/5/2020 at 4:13 AM, KDinsmore said:

If M.2 NVMe is big enough for you, there's no reason to go other way. For example Samsung 970 EVO Plus is blazing fast. And since it hooks directly to 4x PCIexpress 3.0 it is most direct-access storage method.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 7/6/2020 at 1:42 PM, numlog said:

PCIe based memory has a more ''direct'' path, but is less flexible and ideal when it comes to power as explained,
SATA allows use of external/modified power supplies more easily.

ime NVMe just sounds plain worse regardless of power or the direct path.
PCIe Optane is the ultimate storage option but is expensive and limited to smaller capacities

If you have a better power supply to the PC that will benefit other part.

6 hours ago, w1000i said:

If you have a better power supply to the PC that will benefit other part.

I agree with Numlog. in #4 

Also, even though you may use a Linear PSU to power a PC,  Motherboards use onboard switching Voltage Regulators, not Linear Voltage Regulators . Thus it makes sense to use a normal modern SATA  SSD powered by a low noise (e.g. <4uV) +5V Regulated Linear PSU which can even be derived from the existing +12V supply as I do for further isolation between areas.

However, if you are more interested in faster performance for intensive Video processing etc, it would be an advantage to use a  NVMe SSD, although at the possible expense of a minor audible degradation of the included Audio track.

Some members believe that the front end doesn't matter, and you can clean everything up afterwards by conversion to almost GHZ speeds, or using a high speed isolated Optical Network, ISO Regens etc. In the latter case then, why bother with a Linear PSU for say a Mac Mini, and just use an Iso Regen.by itself ? 

However, many members find that  they complement each other for a further SQ improvement , and perhaps an even further small improvement when also using an aftermarket USB cable such as the Lush from Peter St. . which suggests that the quality of the front end does indeed matter..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020