IGNORED

Can Bad Recordings sound Good?

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

I was there at the purchase, by my stepson, when new ... we compared all the units in the shop, and for the money it was easily the best on the day. Age had done it no favours,and it had been relatively unreliable, was in the workshop every couple of years - last round, he had had enough.

Now this is interesting. Where we got it was that dealer that @Audiophile Neuroscience knows like the back of his hand - selling turds, where only the very best one is vaguely good enough - or is it that everything  he sells becomes a turd over time ... who knows ... 😁

How do you know who I know or where I buy my stuff Frank? What does it have to do with someone describing that you polish turds? Oh wait, it's just another way to deflect criticism of your magic 'method'.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I'm not, because I see you're disputing what Paul says, about intermodulation, 

Not What? Now you're not claiming intermodulation explains your method?

Incorrect, I am not disputing intermodulation with Paul, that would be you disputing it with bluesman. So, this is just another deflection

... if you can't follow his excellent, technical rundown, then anything I say is going to be of zero value, for you.

So, another non-answer.

You have been very precise with bluesman about how intermodulation works. It seemed to miss the point, something about "dead horse" and 'flogging" I believe. Still, surely with your superior knowledge on the subject you can tell us how it explains your method?

Being silly about it is pointless - it just turns out that distortion anomalies which ambitious rigs are still subject to

Please explain these distortion anomalies in "ambitious rigs" that engineers have missed but are so amenable to 'your' method in ghetto blaster rigs.

- the obvious stuff has been dealt with - which are much lower in level than "the obvious stuff",

There's not much "obvious" about that statement.

are more disturbing to the listening brain to deal with.

Whose listening brain and how do you know this?

I worry about the "disturbing stuff", and far less concern myself with the "obvious stuff" - the result is that what you hear, in the remaining distortion, is far more benign - doesn't get in the way of "enjoying the music".

This is just rhetoric. It basically says your method works because you say so.

A system of high quality components should sound brilliant - and I mean that. What you term a "bad recording" may turn out to be spectacularly enjoyable; or, still technically flawed, but that doesn't get in the way of getting pleasure from the listening - because the music in it comes through with superior 'impact'.

What has this got to do with intermodulation or your method that makes technically flawed recordings sound like live performances on a system of non high quality components?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

53 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Of course these crazy expensive products use the best quality components, but much of the expense of these devices can be put down to two causes, neither of which have anything to do with SQ. First of all, the cost of components is dependent on the economies of scale. If you are a large company using tens of thousands of parts per year, you get price breaks on those parts that are significant. Plus you get shipping priorities. If you are a small audiophile company using only 100’s or even 10’s of a component per year, you are going to pay many times what the large company pays for the same part. And, to add insult to injury, you get to suck hind tit when it comes to on-time delivery, as well. Then there’s the bling. Dan d’Agostino makes his very expensive amps and preamps. At ~$40,000 each, are they 4X better than a Nelson Pass amp costing $10K? Well, when you look at the beautiful styling and the luxury materials in just the casework alone, it probably accounts for $10-$15,000 of the selling price at the retail level! Now there are people in this society who think the bling is worth it and are willing to pay for it, and that’s fine. It’s their money. But to think that this level of spend will buy you better sound than a much less expensive amp or preamp is capable of, is false.

George this is a separate discussion completely orthogonal to what Frank is talking about. Paying 20 billion dollars for a CD player still would not support Frank's claims about ghetto blaster quality gear. It is a deflection so people will chime in and say yeah, I don't like those crazy prices either.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

David, we've been here before ...

Huh? More deflections. Back to the question/s you wish to avoid.

Are you saying intermodulation explains your method or not? If so how? If you have changed your mind what does explain your method?

Please explain claimed distortion anomalies in "ambitious rigs" that engineers have missed but are so amenable to 'your' method in ghetto blaster rigs.

Whose "listening brain" does your method work on and how do you know this?

if I use your 'method' would a good system sound better or worse than a bad system and would a bad recording sound awesome?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Every retort in this post says that you have no desire to understand - it's pointless continuing, David.

I am all ears waiting for the answers Frank.

Could it be that there are no answers in your circular reasoning and if your deflections are not working you invent that there is "no desire to understand"?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

32 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Silly question. I do things that reduce playback distortion. Intermodulation is an explanation for why if you don't do this, that "bad recordings" are not nice to listen to.

Just the ones I mentioned a 1000 times, but that you are so adept at eye glazing when they're mentioned. As a start, "ambitious rigs" don't do enough:

* About contact noise issues

* About static build up issues

* About isolating from interference

* About dealing with vibration

* About stabilising speakers

* About getting power supplies good enough

* About making sure they have listened enough to it to be confident that it delivers satisfactory SQ, rather than just good numbers

Because people who are not 'normal' audiophiles enjoy what is produced - women don't walk out, because they're bored with it, type of thing.

This one's already answered.

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Conventional audiophiles can never get it, because they think of a rig as being like a normal car that has to be given the treatment at a speed shop; I think of all rigs as being broken, so I work out the right garage to take it to, for repairs ... the chasm in thinking is too great, very little chance of getting across ... 🙂.

Why don't you get it Frank. Conventional audiophiles have a method far superior to your method. It's quite obvious but you can't lead a horse to water and make it drink - sigh.

I mentioned a 1000 times, but that you are so adept at eye glazing when they're mentioned. As a start, "quality rigs" are better than ghetto blasters - they have no issues:

* About contact noise issues

* About static build up issues

* About isolating from interference

* About dealing with vibration

* About stabilising speakers

* About getting power supplies good enough

* About making sure they have listened enough to it to be confident that it delivers satisfactory SQ, rather than just good numbers

Because people who are 'normal' audiophiles enjoy what is produced - women talk out because they're audiophiles too, type of thing.

Our method is so obviously better than your method, now how many times do I have to tell you Frank, really !🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

all significant annoying flaws are no longer there -

Only in your mind Frank.

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

and people who have zero interest in the pursuit of audiophilia get a buzz from the listening - and say so, 😁.

and when they hear a real high end system they say how much better it sounds than a tweaked low quality system

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What a shame... means, unfortunately, that a couple of rigs at this visited effort, https://6moons.com/industryfeatures/superfi/superfi.html must have been modified ghetto blasters, in disguise ... better not say anything to the distributors, lest they lose confidence in the brands they're shifting ...

Well, given that you wax lyrical about how few high end rigs succeed in your mind and how you do like your modified ghetto blaster, the 2 high end rigs you liked in 2004 are 2 of the few liked in the last 16 years. Yep, I'd say it's a fair bet those two rigs were the worst sounding at the show.🙂  

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

IME, the greater the potential, the fussier you have to be - so, measures are necessary, and if done thoroughly, are highly effective.

Actually, quite the opposite. We're beginning to see an opposite pattern unfold here Frank. High End (and low end) systems shine better with good recordings tho, so if that is fussy, maybe you have a point - except you have the opposite view about recordings ¬¬

Sound Minds Mind Sound

32 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Except - because I now recall, he had managed to contort himself to doing a sitting handstand on the chair, listening with the hair below his beard, you see - the visual memory had picked up the vertical order, which is what stuck.

Frank, you are further declaring your perceptual anomalies, what you thought was a "sitting handstand" was just me bending down to tie my shoelaces ! I wondered why you were looking at me funny 🤣:P

Sound Minds Mind Sound