IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, bluebeat said:

In the same stereophile issue also a glowing review of the Mola Mola Tambaqui ... and kudos to Bruno Putzeys

Screenshot_20211114-185114_Scribd.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-184437_Scribd.jpg

The Mola Mola Tambaqui sure is praised all over. Are you partnering the Tambaqui with the MU1? It seems to be a great combination, it’s preferred by some dealers in the Netherlands.

Ps. At the Dutch Audio Event I luckily had the pleasure to thank Guido Tent and Bruno Putzeys together for the joy their design/products provide (Bruno is one of the founders of Grimm Audio and a designer of the Grimm LS1 speaker system).

On 11/17/2021 at 11:47 AM, bluebeat said:

Hi @FredM

No, I don't have the Tambaqui, I have an Ayre QX-5 Twenty. The Tambaqui came up before in this thread, @haltermruses it with the MU1. That's why I thought the Stereophile review could be of interest here. And of course because of the involvement of Bruno with the MU1 and the Tambaqui.

But I am interested, though, in what the Tambaqui would sound like in my system. I plan to audition one at home within a few months. I'm eager to find out if it's a significant step up from my (much appreciated and loved) QX-5 Which, by the way, is playing on another level when fed by the MU1.

Really, I bought the MU1 on a whim, but it's turned out to be one of my best hifi-purchases over the last few years. As you said, thanks to Bruno, Guido, and of course Eelco, and all the other people at Grimm.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing bluebeat, the Mola Mola Tambaqui seems to be something special. Hope that you’re gonna like it on audition 👍 (I only heard it once in an unfamiliar system, so I can’t comment) 

ps. I didn't knew Bruno was also involved on the MU1 design

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing TheAttorney. In the last months I’ve had some network changes which might also be nice to share. In short:

• At first a dedicated Netgear GC-510P switch was placed close to the MU1. Based on several findings who preferred this particular (standard) switch over the audiophile Silent angel switch with separate power supply, it is an easy starting point and worth a shot. It seems the Netgear has a quite decent internal power supply. It was a nice improvement over the central switch near the modem, but nothing ‘day and night’ as sometimes is mentioned (pinch of salt?)
  • Then the Netgear switch was connected via fiber, again an improvement. Without any back and forth comparison I think fiber had a bit more impact than adding the switch in the first place.
  • Recently the Netgear switch is replaced with a tiny SFP-to-RJ45 converter, which -and this is the interesting part- receives its 5V power from the USB output of the MU1👍. And again a noticeable improvement. (credits for using  5V USB power go to Guido Tent who suggested it in a specific wifi dongle context)

With three noticeable increments in a row, I’m enjoying with the Fiber/USB powered connection for sure. Using the existing MU1 power supply (which is likely an important ingredient) this upgrade only costs €50. Quite bizar. I haven’t compared with an audiophile switch, so I can’t tell if the fiber/USB powered converter works in the same ball park. Needless to say that I’m happy with the outcome 😀

For those who are interested, I’m using the ACT AC4450 converter (with a USB convertercable to a 5,5mm DC plug, 2,5mm internal diameter). Several other brands and models are out there. 

CA7E4A1B-1109-4847-96C2-199E5EC1C1B2.webp

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

Any ideas for a resolution anyone?

Perhaps RooDail or RooExtend can cover your basic remote control needs?

They’re wireless, but I don’t know if it works with all Roon devices.

RooDail

https://sellcodes.com/DrCWO/use-roon-with-microsoft-surface-dial

https://darko.audio/2021/07/roodial-adds-a-wireless-physical-volume-control-to-roon/

RooExtend

https://rooextend.com

https://darko.audio/2021/08/a-very-short-film-about-volume-knob-feel/

23 hours ago, soupcon said:

I'm also debating whether to get an internal SSD--wondering if anyone has any counsel on that choice.

In my situation local music and movies where already running on a NAS, which I kept. If it would only concern music files, I guess I would have preferred an internal SSD storage. Mostly for simplicity reasons with less power consumption/footprint as a bonus. The price for the SSD option is more then reasonable (~ €100 per TB). Soundwise I don’t know how an internal SSD would compare with NAS storage, or Melco storage in your case. 

Hmm, I remember a Dutch reviewer (Rene van Es) who uses a Melco has reviewed the MU1 for a magazine and site. I’ll have a look, perhaps he has mentioned it.

Edit: here’s the fragment, translated:

“Storage may be internal as in my instance, may be external where I highly recommend a Melco storage. Ask Grimm Audio and they claim any decent NAS will perform. Finally, an external USB drive can also function as storage.”

Full review:

https://hifi.nl/amp/artikel/28607/Review-Grimm-Audio-MU1-muziek-zonder-zorgen.html

On 11/13/2021 at 11:12 PM, FredM said:

New: Grimm Audio UC1
Recently Grimm has also released a new digital product, the UC1. The UC1 is a DA, AD, Pre with master clock (!) and headphone amp on board. It seems targeted at the pro-market. The first review is out, in a hifi context the UC1 received a full 5 star rating.

Link to Grimm UC1 review: https://alpha-audio.net/review/review-grimm-audio-uc1-ultimate-class/ 

After Alpha Audio’s hifi review, the Grimm UC1 has received attention in the pro-market, an overview:

Review Professional Audio magazine:

“The UC1 impresses with its crystal-clear and neutral sound.”

Link: https://www.grimmaudio.com/reviews/professional-audio-full-control-with-uc1/

Mastering Engineer Alan Silverman chooses UC1:

“The UC1’s texture and transparency were superior.“

Link: https://www.grimmaudio.com/reviews/mastering-engineer-alan-silverman-chooses-uc1/

Review Studio Magazine:

“The stereo image and space rendering kept fully in tact.”

Link: https://www.grimmaudio.com/reviews/studio-magazin-uc1-sounds-very-good/

Mix and mastering engineer Wessel Oltheten testimonial:

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, PYP said:

Any comments from owners regarding the SQ using the USB input for storage devices vs. built in SSD and streaming?    

For simplicity reasons I would opt for internal storage, especially when it can be installed initially.

ps My NAS just died.. so also keen to determine an alternative option (music itself has a good backup).

Haha, you can start rubbing your hands.. As soon as the MU1 is connected, I think the ‘music storage location’ will be quite irrelevant 😄.

Listening this evening, it’s just such a pleasure (goosebumps on arms, back, legs). Just sit and enjoy the music. With your Mola Mola DAC you’re in for a ride! 

22 hours ago, SackATK said:

My favorite quote from the video:

"I have a problem here, for I'm not sure I'm able to fully describe what I'm hearing..."

Some of us understand this fully.

+1 

Great to see how everyone is trying to grab what they hear objectively. It’s just easier to describe the personal experience with the MU1 (musical connection, emotion, goosebumps, etc)

19 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Thank you for the video link.

Regarding the upcoming upgrade … the new html system interface looks interesting

Regarding the new free music app option as alternative for Roon: Having now re-acquainted myself with Roon, I'd be loath to give that up now.

Indeed. The web interface is a keen approach to expand on new features, without the limitations of the screen size. I’m looking forward to the support of Grimm’s LS1 speakers via the MU1, nice integrated approach/convenience! That said, I’m not using menu options that often. For normal listening, just press play in the Roon app. Only for movie/HT use now and than I switch to the optical input on the MU1, that’s about it.

13 hours ago, PYP said:

… he plugged in the MU1 and fell in love, end of story.   He takes a very rational, low-key approach to reviewing equipment, so it was a surprise to hear him say "magical" and "extremely addictive" in his review (and was it only me or did you see a strange glimmer in his eye when he said that - LOL).  

I'll get the chance to hear for myself early next month.  Would be interesting if the updates he spoke about were available then.  I much prefer a computer interface to a control on top of the MU1 (although our 20 pound Tabby_Damper, see avatar, might like it).  The Tambaqui has a fully functional app that is very convenient for settings.  That has become my standard for an equipment interface.  

Yes, he could be in love, very nice to see his enthusiasm
Have fun next month 👍🎵🎶

9 hours ago, further said:

I very much look forward to your feedback of the MU1 with your Tambaqui.   I agree the Mola-Mola app is very functional for set up as well as more common tasks to include switching inputs, volume control, etc.   I, at times, do have to go through some fiddling around for reconnecting via Bluetooth.  For typical common/mundane tasks like switching inputs and volume control, I typically manually do so on my Makua.  The supplied Apple remote, for me, had more latency than I wanted.   I did see on recent GTT YouTube video that Mola-Mola will be shipping with new metal remote control and intends to provide to prior owners as well.

The MU1 & Tambaqui seem to match great, for what I see it’s a popular combination (MU1 users buying the Tambaqui, and vice versa).

On 2/14/2022 at 11:20 PM, FredM said:

ps My NAS just died.. so also keen to determine an alternative option (music itself has a good backup).

Back in business, an internal SSD is installed 👍. The NAS won’t be replaced, it was primarily used for music files anyway, so another device bites the dust.

Moving music to the SSD was easier then expected. Now I only need to figure out how to make a Roon backup on the pc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, PYP said:

@FredM, you were correct.  There is great synergy with the Tambaqui.   Thanks for starting the thread!

As others have said, it can be difficult to describe the MU1 with the usual audiophile terminology.   The MU1 invites you into the music.  I’ve heard excellent components project a convincing portrayal of the performance.  In comparison, the MU1 just reveals the performance -- comparatively, it doesn’t shrink anything or lose any detail, but the music is simultaneously more relaxed and more dynamic/detailed.

Last night, while listening to a very familiar disk, I started to realize not only how carefully the musicians were listening to each other, but the respect with which they interacted (sometimes hanging back just a little longer than usual before playing their part, like letting someone finish their sentence before speaking) and their enjoyment of group improvisation at this level.  This interaction changed my understanding of the album and how I felt about it.   This change of perspective happens regularly now.  

Roon Radio, with Qobuz, is quite an adventure.  I find myself wanting to be more judicious so that I don’t add nearly every album to my library (well, at least the times Roon Radio doesn’t take a left turn and you really wonder how wrong an algorithm can be).   To me, discovering music is what makes our hobby fun.  

If you are in the US, and you want an in-home demo, I can recommend Paul Blizel of Analog Audio of Minnesota, 
(612) 808-0709.   

Thanks for sharing your experience PYP, catching and recognisable summary (invites you, revealing, dynamic/details, relax, ..)

I’m also very pleased with Roon radio, great to discover new tunes! Indeed, sometimes Roon makes a less obvious turn. I have the impression the suggestions are becoming better and better (perhaps due to more use (=data) and/or an improved AI/suggestion technology). Recently I’ve added quite some tracks/albums to my Roon library.

Good to hear you’re happy 😃

On 4/15/2022 at 7:03 AM, PYP said:

Listening to "Home" on Dominique Fils-Aime's Nameless album.   I'm with @FredM:  goosebumps is a good measure for the MU1.  Of course, the MU1 doesn't favor one kind of music, but how many of you are listening to a lot of vocals?  

When you think about evolution and how long you have been keying into the voices of the people around you from infancy, it is no wonder that we know what the human voice sounds like.   Even non-musicians know when the vocal instrument is true.  

With the new 1.4 release the goosebump factor even went up, I think the ‘air’ around the instruments/voice is most obvious. Sorry for not using a hifi like vocabulary, perhaps I can better explain what I mean with ‘air’ with the previous horse riding carousel metaphor (see link below): it’s like the size of the platform is considerable larger, where the riding horses have more space between them and at the same time the position is easier to pin point on the platform (with acoustics of the surrounding, like roof, stage, wall, open air). Great improvement (made available for free!). It hard to indicate the sonic benefits with numbers or percentages, but to give an impression: I think one could easily spend EUR1.000 or 2.000 for an upgrade with less impact.

Thanks for sharing the ‘Nameless’ album tip 👍. I really like female voices, preferably in a live setting/recording. Personally I think female voices are a great indicator how realistic things sound. Example: a familiar track is Suzanne Vega - Tom’s Diner (Solitude Standing). Not a audiophile/MQA/high res/.. recording, but imho very revealing how a set performs. The song can sound almost dull or closed on some systems, and -in all its simplicity- sounds amazing on better systems.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your issue @pvanosta hopefully a solution is nearby. I presume cables are okay? (check by playing something from Qobuz or Tidal?) Otherwise my knowledge is limited, from what I’ve seen around Roon indexing can take quite some time with large libraries. Starting with a small folder to test seems a good pointer. 

Thanks for helping @The Computer Audiophile, nice to see you here 👍