IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

29 minutes ago, Archimago said:

They generally do for many devices including contentious stuff like cables! And many measurements already go far beyond the limits of human hearing.

This is the issue: some people don't want to or cannot believe this 😉.

In much of the discussion at ASR, appropriate pricing of equipment is an implicit theme.  Why should we tolerate high priced equipment that measures no better than inexpensive equipment?  And even why pay significantly more for a piece of equipment that does measure better but those measurements "go far beyond the limits of human hearing"?  I admit that I like aesthetically pleasing components, thick aluminum cases, fancy knobs and meters, etc. and am willing to pay a premium for that when I can afford it -- but how much should that add to the cost of electronics that measure "well enough"?

mQa is dead!

13 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Is that really the issue? They may want to believe this, but they know that measurements do not necessarily predict sound quality. Listening remains the final arbiter. 🙂

I keep hearing that measurements do not necessarily predict sound quality and I have to take that at face value.  But it would help me immensely if you can provide some examples from currently produced equipment. Thanks.

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

All this talk about, recreating the live event has me chuckling...  Some of you set your speakers up with a laser measuring tape and you sit in the ideal spot, etc...  Has that ever happened at a live event?

Here is an example from my own experience. One of my favorite live events was seeing Kat Edmonson at The Dakota here in Minneapolis. It's a pretty small space and they get as many people in there as they can. I was sitting in the seat circled in red below. How should I recreate that live event when I play one of her albums? Does it need to be that specific album? Do I need to switch it up to play another album? Recreating the live event could get time consuming and really cut down on how much music I listen to...

edit: in this example, she was facing up.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.00.32 PM.png

Why would anyone produce a recording that attempts to recreate a live event from the perspective of a seat/position that was less than ideal? Presumably, it's only the best/ideal position that matters.

mQa is dead!