IGNORED

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

You're describing async interfaces with I/O buffers, yes?

Can we agree on this: Jitter is a variance in what would be the otherwise optimal timing of a signal? Can we also agree that there is always going to be some jitter on all signals if we get a powerful enough measurement device on it?

18 minutes ago, jabbr said:

That should be a measurement made with access to a particular brand of Ethernet equipment and USB transmission equipment.

Or I could, using my example, feed an ADC over the wire audio, and repeatedly plug and unplug the Ethernet cable and see when people can tell when the cable was pulled.

I think you see my point.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Make it fast enough, and you can transfer an entire album in the interval between two samples.

I don't know of anything that fast in the consumer commercial space. But if we are talking in the realm of what I've seen spent in the audiophile space I could created a setup that would saturate 10GBe.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, Jud said:

Sure. The question is always going to be whether the jitter is at a level that causes concern, whether by virtue of a certain amount of measured distortion or audible noise.

Please listen to these two files and tell me what you hear. Note the quality isn't the best because they were made simply by holding an iPhone in front of speakers more than 3 years ago.

1A.m4a 3.31 MB · 11 downloads A1.m4a 3.26 MB · 9 downloads

1 track is louder (either higher gain, closer mic source, or compression) and for lack of a better term had some ringing and sibilant like quality to it.

But both sounded pretty bad.

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

The noise loop involved the Ethernet connection in the system between router and NIC. The reason I know this is because inserting a Baaske Ethernet isolation transformer in that connection reduced the noise/distortion significantly, though it didn't eliminate it altogether.

So we know from this that the Ethernet connection between router (or switch) and NIC is capable of being involved in noise loops in the system, perhaps significant enough to be very audible, as this one was, or perhaps not plainly audible, but enough to mask low-level musical detail (or enough to affect the clock in the DAC?).

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. As I wasn't there I have only your word to go on.

Are you saying you think an audiophile switch would have solved this? Do you know the type of cabling that was in use? Was the person that set up the system competent? Was any of the network equipment modified as Audiophile owners are want to do?

If you think an audiophile switch would solve this how do you know another off the shelf switch wouldn't? What's the possibility of faulty hardware?

I know what wow and flutter sound like. What I heard was more ringing and sibilant sound along with a higher noise floor. I did nothing but setup Audio Edit studios for 7 years. I would suggest direct connecting output from the preamp to an ADC with Heaphone Monitor loop. 

I'm up for a get together, and in part explore this.

What I do know is I have the magical ability to take consumer networking hardware and make it sound indistinguishable from 'solutions' costing multitudes more. 

I just spent $214 and went with optical isolation that is 3000% faster.

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

The noise loop involved the Ethernet connection in the system between router and NIC. The reason I know this is because inserting a Baaske Ethernet isolation transformer in that connection reduced the noise/distortion significantly, though it didn't eliminate it altogether.

I would be willing to bet you that I could have corrected or sourced the problem with out a bandaid that the Basske isolation represents.

31 minutes ago, Jud said:

it had to do with the electrical effect of clock edges being transmitted through the system

And when those clock edges were only in use for 5 seconds transferring a 50MB PCM 16/44.1 file?

Not sure what "clock edges being transmitted through the system" even means.

Just now, Jud said:

Don't know. I just know that Ethernet connections are capable of being involved in noise loops, and at least some types of noise (for example, leakage current) are what the ER purports to reduce. It's also interesting that another common solution for leakage current, an Ethernet isolation transformer, did reduce the noise/distortion but did not eliminate it.

I think f'd up networking is a possibility. It could even be a wiring at the wall jack problem.

What I do know is that you were at an event with a compromised system and not a single one of you were capable enough to resolve it without resorting to bandaids.

So that's my take on it.

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Higher noise floor for sure. However, in the room it definitely sounded like flutter - I dubbed it the "warble."

If I have vinyl spinning and I place my finger on the transport to alter it's speed I hear wow and flutter. It's pitch shifting. What I heard was ringing, distortion, higher noise floor.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I see you edited your response.

What's interesting is that I resolved the noise loop not on the networking side, which remained the same, but by simplifying the configuration on the power side of the system.

Even with optical Ethernet, you're still plugging stuff in. In that regard, I note the ER comes with an inexpensive power supply with a ground shunt for leakage current.

T.I.'s paper on radiated emissions of 10/100 Ethernet PHY speaks plainly to the Achilles heel of single ended power supplies on network gear.

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Yes... I don't think that the pseudo-science trolls here understand that the etherRegen is not for them. It's not going to work with their rattling Dell optiplex noise-boxes.

For one I've reported the post. Two I've decided to leave the post up as an example of behavior that shouldn't be tolerated and I would normally hide.

But it's best left up as a PSA.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

If I want Wi-Fi 6 capability, and all the power supplies on my network gear to be balanced, what would you suggest and what would the pricing be like?

Edit: One other thing, I would like these not to be potential sources of leakage current.

Jud, it's wireless....