IGNORED

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

36 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Most people who have bought an eR have audio enthusiast setups and you know the more enthusiastic the setup the better you hear differences. I am trying to choose my words carefully here, I don’t want to offend anyone or put down ones system but yes that could be the case.

I'd put my Statements up against your Maggies any day of any week. I'm a keep it simple sort of guy:

Computer<>DAC<>Amp<>Speakers. Using JRiver and REW was used for generating a convolution filter.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

In addition, in his opening post he said nothing about using his speakers, he only listed the inexpensive headphones he plugged in.

I listened with my 2.0 stereo, my 5.1, and my headphones. Sorry that the AKG or AT aren't good enough.

My documented setup was to keep it simple simon. Did you even look at the PDF?

Let me know when you want to do this in YOUR setup. I'm game.

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

Not a lot of free time in the day until Saturday, hopefully can do with/ without ER comparisons this weekend. I plan to

compare the following setups using Euphony stylus with Qobuz and NAS stored music. My router connection is powerline Gbe (PE),

the ER when used is inserted between PE and NUC using AQ Pearl Ethernet cables. NAS resides with Wifi router in a different room.

1) i7NUC /optane boot, using JS2 power supply

2) i7NUC /optane boot, using stock SMPS

3) i5-9600K PC w/MSI Pro Z390 MOBO/USB  bootstick, using Seasonic Gold power supply

because the Gungnir DAC Gen5 board is sensitive to 5V USB quality, I plan to keep the LPS 1.2 wired into the USB out path but will compare to see if

the ER changes anything.

(3) is a 45 day old DIY build, will be trialing it for the first time using Euphony with an admitted bias of low expectations.

My setup is straightforward:

Dell PowerEdge R620 with 10GBe SR fiber to Cisco 2930 switch.

10GBe SR fiber from switch to HPE NC523 Dual 10GBe PCI-E 8X, Mainboard is passively cooled ASRock 3150N, 8GB Crucial DDR3, 96GB Kingston SSD, Seasonic 450 watt PSU. Noctua 120MM fans X 2 with them set at the lowest BIOS speed setting (500RPM).

Windows 10 Pro X64, JRiver MC with convolution filter. Belkin gold USB A/B cable to Emotiva DC-1 DAC.

You can't even tell the computer is on from an inch away if it wasn't for the Power LED. 

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You and I have the expertise to configure a network the right way. Many people build their own power supplies and cables. 

Most people don’t want to bother. 

I first started thinking about fiber for audio when so-called audiophile Ethernet cables started hitting the market. I’ve written my own views extensively. 

I’d be happy for anyone who is concerned about EMI travelling down an Ethernet cable to use fiberoptic, or anyone who is concerned about clock jitter to use 10Gbe. 

Ultimately a DAC or renderer could have an SFP port. We are starting to see this. 

In the meantime, and perhaps for the foreseeable future, there are a handful of products including the EtherRegen which are designed for a market niche. These are far more likely to do what they claim than so-called audiophile Ethernet cables at a similar price (I have zero problem with well made cables with good connectors at reasonable prices)

I think most people here want a brand they can trust at a reasonable price. Whether or not you want this brand, I can assure you that the cost of development & manufacturing and estimated size of market warrants the price ie it’s not a rip off. 

I would be ok with the marketing of these products if they had any evidentiary basis.

The only evidence we have is properly designed DAC's filter all this out.

Years ago at AVSForum I had a thread where I built some XLR cables with screen left floating at the input to the amp. This was on my EMU 1212 PCI-E interface.

You could hear mouse movement, you could hear disk access and SSD was quieter than HDD 🙂.  I still have the card and maybe I'll load up another Windows 7 machine and test out using iPerf. But that's besides the point. With all that going on you still don't hear it through properly implemented DAC's.

It's just a non issue.

14 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Let’s see, the only place where there is a requirement for strict evidence to support marketing is in the subset of medical products regulated by the FDA ie not skin care, vitamins etc.

As they say, no one will die buying an Ethernet switch. 

I wasn't speaking to what's required. I think we all benefit where clear, objective, data is available.

"Under DSHEA, a firm is responsible for determining that the dietary supplements it manufactures or distributes are safe and that any representations or claims made about them are substantiated by adequate evidence to show that they are not false or misleading."

I think that is a totally fair bar for many product that is proposing objective benefits such as correction of clock jitter due to phase noise or low/high/inbetween leakage current etc.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My impression is that the EtherRegen is designed for equipment using the very slow 100m speed and arguable there are no other 100m specific products which try to reduce jitter? Is this impression correct?

Why does 100m jitter matter? That's an issue between the clock driving the interface on the switch and what's on the other end.

Most likely on your 10GBe NICs, same as mine, is something like 256MB of RAM. I thought on a lot of 100Mbit it was something like 4Kbit typical.

Jitter is a non issue because of those input/ouput buffers.

hpe nc524.jpg

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

???
I have restricted myself in this thread to commenting on the mediocre equipment that you are using to judge a component added to much higher quality playback systems than yours is, for a further worthwhile improvement.

One thing that I do understand very well, as quite a few others do, is the way YOU work with your very obvious agenda .

What's mediocre? You have any data?

I've proven my point with a video demonstration.

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No it wasn't !!! You should have been replying to why you directed this reply to me.

It's no wonder you have requested Moderator privileges to clear your thread up.

Sandy there are two issues going on. Both involving integrity, or lack there of.

As I just explained to Jud in this post. It's something you proclaim to have area expertise in but yet fail to answer my simple question and instead you are now simply calling my setup that I used as 'mediocre'.

Now you aren't under any obligation to answer any question from any one. But the desperate ad-hom attacks should stop. 

Either meet me with excellent technical responses or don't. But your 'it's pos' attacks are about to stop.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

So a buffer eliminates any jitter in the DAC whatever, no more worries?

The buffer on an Ethernet NIC eliminates the input jitter from the Ethernet switch segment that it is on. Not sure why USB DAC's keep getting dragged into this. We are talking about Ethernet.