IGNORED

Article: Turnstiles

Thanks for the comment and great picture. I have the Souvenir LP you reference. I even have the original Epic release of Atilla!  I would love if they would release that whole concert in stereo. I bet Billy has the tapes of that show as well as the Carnegie Hall concerts. If any of Billy’s people ever read this........ it would be nice. Just go easy on the compression.

Great piece Joe. Turnstiles is tied with 52nd Street as my favorite by him. I listen to the MoFi vinyl, and will look into acquiring the SACD. Regarding the "Joel" and "Springsteen" camps, I was in both, which made me the de facto moderator for many a debate in college (at Temple, where I was one of those DJs spinning jazz on WRTI, but I digress). Thanks for a great read.

I always thought Turnstiles sounded bad.  I will check what versions I have.  Thanks for the tip of the Blu-spec cd.  Where can one buy that format??

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the review and confirming my own thoughts on that album - it is excellent IMO.

If you are interested in watching Billy live, then please get a DVD copy of the All Star Tribute to Brian Wilson held at the Radio City Music Hall in 2001. The cast and sound is excellent and Billy is in fine voice and his performance is outstanding.

This is one of the best sounding concert DVDs I have ever heard and is thoroughly recommended for lovers of the Beach Boys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_All-Star_Tribute_to_Brian_Wilson

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Completely agree that this is one of Billy Joel's best albums!

Had shared this album on the Album of the Evening of the thread some time back but the post got buried in all the classical and jazz albums.  So glad to see this album review on here.  For me the song of the album has always been "New York State of Mind" but there are plenty of great moments all over.  One of the best for me is the line " ... But we went on with the show" from "Miami 2017 (Seen the lights go out on Broadway)".   I've always liked "I've Loved these Days" but I have to agree with you that "Summer, Highland Falls" might just be one of Billy Joel's best numbers.

Thanks for sharing this write up with us Joe!

Regards. 

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110