IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Wow, I was so enjoying that we made it 5 pages/120 posts before someone brought up power supplies. x-D

Of course you are all free to chat about that.  But for those wondering--and I am sure users will confirm--EtherREGEN sounds fantastic with the stock PS we ship with it.  Whatever folks report about PS upgrading can only be a fraction of its right-out-of-the-box goodness. B|

Well, I saw the influence of Ethernet cables was already shortly discussed, so I thought why not drop the other bomb... 😉 

For now I’m anxiously waiting for delivery of my ER with stock supply from Joel with Metawave, but of course curious if I would be missing out on a further SQ upgrade when using the stock supply.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Emile Bok of Taiko Audio just wrote a very nice comparative report: 
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-135#post-625209

He mostly used the EtherREGEN in the B>A direction so that he could get fiber to his server. Most people will use it A>B, and will find that careful choice of copper Ethernet cable on the 'B'-side (connected to whatever is your computer/streamer/renderer endpoint) will yield even better results.

Very happy to see that in his super-system (value $250K+?), our humble yet sophisticated EtherREGEN came out ranked above a $3,400 pair of cascaded pair of large switches. 

Our $640 device came out just below the approximately $6,800 set-up of the Telegartner MFP8 Gold II RJ45-M12 copper cable -> Telegartner GOLD M12 switch -> Telegartner MFP8 Gold II M12-RJ45 copper cable. That works for me! :D

I love the ER in my system but personally wouldn’t use Emiles findings as promotion. He mostly criticized the ER apart from one specific use case with specific SFPs. Also not sure how you got to $ 6,800 for the M12 Gold. Note the cables come with the switch with no extra charge. List price is EUR 4,165.

30 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I posted them simply because he ranked us well above a pair of the other expensive switch and enjoyed our modest unit in his mega-system. Even though he used it in an odd way.

I did not realize that the cables came with the M12 Gold. I saw JCAT selling Telegartner cables for 1,100 Euros each.  

So about US$4,600 for M12 with two cables.  A bargain. Though I guess one needs to add a power supply?  Wish someone would show the actual circuitry of that industrial switch. It was not expressly designed as a piece for audio, so I wonder what Telegartner's design goals were for it originally.

The M12 Gold comes with a dedicated low noise power supply. As you may be aware, the design and science of the switch and the connectors originate from industrial networks.