IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 2 weeks later...

I see a change on the Uptone website: 😃

We now have all parts in house now and circuit board production has begun again. If you place your EtherREGEN order now it will ship to you by January 31st. 

After reading this whole thread, and the many favourable reviews, as well as several others across the globe decided to order one. 🙂 As I currently go through the patience many in this thread have also gone through up to 2 years ago(!) (I'm a little late to the game) I'll just ask a question to tide me over:

Based on your post from October above, the current EtherRegens's should be the same, going forward have you had to revise some of the parts based on this issue? 

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

1 minute ago, Nikko1960 said:

They are all the same.  The nice thing about them is that you can add an external clock at a later date and get another huge uplift to SQ.  I bought an Afterdark OCXO clock and matching LPU from Adrian (see his paid forum on this site).  I got the Emperor Crown SE version and am really, really happy with it and the ER combo.

Ah, you are too quick. I re-read his post above and reworded my question, as it does state the next 225 units (now) should be the same, but unsure what happens after that batch. Apologies; I am getting over Covid, so my mind seems a little foggy still. 

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

• 1 month later...

Okay, got about 200 hours on the etherregen now. Like many have claimed, a layer of grain has been removed.  I wouldn't characterize it as "huge", as far as upgrades and sound quality improvements go, as I have done quite a few lately, but the improvement is definitely there. (Perhaps my ethernet is not as dirty as others?)

A quick listen and I could see someone thinking it is like detail has been lost, but that was the glare and haze that was riding on top of the detail. But I didn't think there was any grain or glare in my system! Low level details are more easily identified, as the background seems a little blacker, and perhaps dynamics seem slightly increased as a result? Definitely smoother and more analog sounding. 

I'll add a few choices to the many good suggestions in this thread: 

Fleetwood Mac- Second hand News

3 tracks of guitar, the first one in the left channel, another in the right, and a muted low level strum in the right centre. Pick any of them: All three are better resolved and more natural with the ER in the chain. There is so much going on in many of these Lindsay Buckingham produced gems. 

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

One guy and his guitar. What better way to show the analog sound. His voice sounds more realistic, and the guitar sounds, well, more acoustic. And of course every file is MQA free 44.1 Khz 16 bit: thanks for coming back to Tidal Neil 😍

Now to hook up this Audio Sensibility Supra ethernet between the ER and the Playpoint in place of the $2 one and see if that improves anything.

IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.25376536a864f5771cba510a02a6a00f.JPG

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Wow! Terrific follow-up review! Many thanks.

So glad (but not surprised) to know that you are enjoying the benefits of EtherREGEN even more as your system evolves and becomes more revealing. B|

Thank you Alex, and you're welcome. And/or it might be due to the increase of noise on the internet highway! 

I need to do this experiment again today. I still can't believe the difference, and it is so easy to do- easier than a power cord swap- Turn off DAC, pull out one ethernet cable and insert the other, turn on DAC, sit and wait about 10 seconds for Roon to kick back in, and listen. Yes those 1's and 0's sound so much better with this stuff inserted. All your friends at ASR don't know what they are missing. 😉