IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

2 hours ago, Michaelb4 said:

I have a BENCHMARK amp which I give 5 minutes to the amp and myself to warm up. At 67 I think my hearing varies a little each day usually depending on how many laps I did in the pool that morning. 

Varying BP will do that. In my case , years ago I found that brisk walking lowered my BP considerably,( even a little too low on a few occasions,)  which resulted in my damaged hearing improving.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

20 hours ago, STC said:

ST

I can relate to this, as similar happened to my Class A amplifier several years ago . They were building a new electrical substation 200 metres up the road for a new shopping centre mainly, when somebody must have hit a high voltage cable or similar, as the lights went VERY bright for  a short period too.

I hadn't got around to putting my power board with VDRs in it  back in line at the time just after moving there, but I doubt that it would have saved it as both transformers burned out .

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, STC said:

That is an interesting observation. My usual BP is 70/100 and goes up to 80/112 sometimes. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Not likely. My BP is often closer to 150. When it is in that area or a little higher my hearing further degrades .

Around 130 appears to be better for me.

6 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'd be willing to bet that most people here are already experiencing this. I know I am.

Then your brain must be filling in a lot of the missing information, just like Frank's brain  does when he is using his laptop's speakers. :D

However, I am also aware that Frank will upgrade his system when he can afford to do this. 

What has any of this have to do with the actual subject of the thread ?

2 minutes ago, STC said:

Fas42, is an expert in slipping in his mantra in almost any thread that I start no matter how irrelevant it is to the subject matter. 

If you were the resident Scientist from an entirely different discipline, you would long ago used your powers as the OP of the thread.

Perhaps you all just like ganging up on  Frank ? ¬¬

5 minutes ago, STC said:

I guess now you will be ganging up on me. Oh yes, there were four of you in support of him. Go ahead Alex. 

Why on earth would I do that ? I enjoy seeing threads from you like this one started out, as well as your interesting repair jobs and the photos.

If you look carefully, you will see that I frequently poke fun at Frank just like with the earlier dig about DolbyA , but I try not to be too pointed about it. 

The less that you guys take pot shots at Frank, the less he will feel the need to reply with the same stock type answers.

Surely most of us, excluding perhaps Tom and Ralf11 ,   have enough will power not to bother  to keep replying with the same answers to the same kind of statements by Frank ?

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

The less that you guys take pot shots at Frank, the more he will post

Just like you do ? :D

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Warming up, conditioning is an important part of have the system working to an adequate level - my original Perreaux power amp had no trouble doing this, the monster laminated transformer got almost hand burning hot, and on those heat wave days I was checking things fairly often, to make sure all was still OK …

I wasn't referring to this. I was referring to the to and fro off topic stuff.

This thread will only come back on topic if the OP wants it too.

Add to that the electric jug/Coffee machine, the Toaster, the electric Stove and the electric radiator.

Seeing many of the recent posts reminds me of a TV show last night where one of the good guys was thrown in the water and blood dumped in the water around him, with  a group of sharks heading in for the kill.

It is interesting to note that several of the members who regularly dump on Frank from a great height never appear to have posted anything positive to support the reason behind this forum, which is mainly to share information.

17 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

Sandy,

People ask straight questions and hope to get straight answers. That would be positive and "warm us up for best performance"! 

My reply wasn't particularly aimed at you.  I would hope that some members availed themselves of the use of the IGNORE facility.

A few here appear to be trying to hound Frank out of the forum.

BTW, Frank does have quite a bit of experience in the I.T. area, and even I would find it quite daunting to pull apart a small laptop and getting it back to a fully functional laptop as he did recently, despite me being heavily into equipment modifications.

It was hard enough replacing the degraded electrolytic capacitors in an earlier PC monitor which had resulted in it's failure due to the high internal temperatures over a period of time.

42 minutes ago, 4est said:

Your are being too kind Alex, I say tar and feathers!

Seriously though, no one is hounding anyone out of the forum. They are simply asking him to put up or shut up. He doesn't seem capable of either.

Hi 4est

Having been on the receiving end of much of this for around 10 years from the usual suspects I have some sympathy for Frank.

However, sometimes it may be best to simply ignore posters that annoy the hell out of you, but I agree that sometimes  it's easier said than done.

I feel sure that we both have several posters in common that do this to us both ?

Regards

Alex

53 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

By chance, do you and Frank have the same water supply?

No .

Please also note that I don't agree with many things that Frank reports.

43 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Speaking of which, you might have some experience here of value 😉 - I use an auxiliary monitor on the laptop, and the LG I was using for ages had something go sour, very suddenly, on its power supply, it appears. Didn't have the time to try and diagnose, so grabbed a Dell to replace it.

Symptoms are, the power supply tries to kick in, but the LED indicator never goes to green, meaning all OK. Extremely long shot, of course - but any thoughts?

There are several suppliers on ebay etc. that supply kits of replacement electrolytic capacitors for many earlier models of monitors. Most monitors these days are backlit by LEDs so don't need a high voltage supply that causes the internal electros to degrade due to heat.

P.S.

Before first ordering a kit it would be advisable to check that key components do not have copious quantities of some kind of hard to remove " cement" on them

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

What DACs do you own?

Can you share with us the modifications you've made to them?

https://naturecanada.ca/discover-nature/endangered-species/american-badger/

4 hours ago, Summit said:

The difference between a Class A circuits temp cold and after it been left on for 2-3 hours is obvious and easy to understand, for most people. The second category of circuits is much harder to understand just how it can take so much time for them to stabilize. I can’t explain it, but still I know it can change the sound profoundly. If you are in doubt of this, just listen to a Schiit Yggdrasil cold for example and then after a few days. The temp is reached after a couple of hours.  

This doesn't have to be the case . Yes, the HFE of a transistor increases with temperature to a certain degree, but it is quite possible to overcome this problem with careful design using the temperature coefficient of a Silicon diode or another additional transistor in the current mirror area of a Solid State Class A amplifier as I have done with my 15W/Ch. (in full Class A) DIY Amplifier.

It tracks and compensates for the changes immediately after switch on and is completely stable in SQ within several minutes

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

We have a nearly 30 year old Yamaha PSR synthesizer keyboard here, was top of the line at the time  - ancestor of the current Motif range ... this has probably one of the more extreme changes in character with warmup, that I've come across …

Try replacing the main PSU electrolytic capacitors in it's PSU. After 30 years they are likely to have a high ESR and markedly reduced capacitance

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I just thought this was worth quoting.  Or maybe it should be the new masthead for the whole web site.

If anybody said the same to you in the threads that you start you would quickly remove them .

You are a Hypocrite .

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Or maybe it should be the new masthead for the whole web site.

ST

This is the part that I take exception to.

This kind of remark would not be permitted in his own threads and would be quickly removed as off topic (Unless he agreed with it.)

It should also be removed in your threads too if you wish to keep the thread on topic as you claim.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Do you deny extraordinary over-posting of the same thing over & over by Frank?

If so why?

If not, why nut?

and no name-calling

No more than I deny the same kind of thread destruction over and over by yourself and several others in virtually every Subjective based thread.

ST

Please use your OP privileges and clean up all this off topic crap .

All it will result in if left,  is far fewer members and visitors  bothering to read or participate in your threads.

Alex

29 minutes ago, STC said:

I would have but then you also responded to it.  So I thought you guys were even...  Please click OT so that I can identify those needed to be removed if necessary. 

There wouldn't be any need to get even. if there weren't incessant attacks on below the Equator members by Ralf 11 and the self proclaimed Troll especially.  Even one and a half cops the same kind of shit and he is well qualified in the A.C. power transmission area. 

Perhaps this is why he hasn't posted here recently too ?

We both know where he went to,  to get away from some of it .¬¬