IGNORED

RCA input socket lost its mantels

Aragorn

Question

On my preamp I heard a very low noise as from a non leaded gramopphonewire.

But as I looked, I saw the 2  output sockets connecting the pre with the end were both black, no red or white cup around.

These cups shield the cable input I guess from interference.

When I connected a cable in one of these 2 bare black input sockets and powering the end amp , BRRRRMMMMM!!!

I made a photo.

On the bottom you see normal sockets and at the extreme right next to CE I think 2 blach sockets.

How can these be repaired or replaced ?

photo very dark. Bottom of photo rcas in a row. Ultra right, you still can see 2 black sockets for the output to the power amp. Just 2 holes but without the red and white ringed caps around the hole. Did I loose those wile removing the amp or did a cable tore them out ???

he worked frequently before. But of course with the correctly built of assembled sockets.

question is if they sell these caps. I saw enough of them for cables, but for the female sockets ???

I recovered one from another piece of hardware, I ended up with a cylindric copper cup with a red ring. But i could not insert it deep enough along the hole , i was stuck ... of course the cable took it out again with no results.

zoom the photo in. It gives you a far better sight. You will see the cuts in the black socket rings.

lot of talks for a lost copper cup, cylyndric. 

Thank you.

Aragorn.

20191012_071514.jpg

20191012_071910.jpg

20191012_071920.jpg

20191012_071956.jpg

20191012_072100.jpg

20191012_095146.jpg

10 answers to this question

The fit should be tight enough you could still retrieve them from the offending RCA cable (if that was the culprit).  Even then the most realistic option is having these two RCA replaced.  

Though the picture shows for me it is quite uninformative.  

1 hour ago, rando said:

The fit should be tight enough you could still retrieve them from the offending RCA cable (if that was the culprit).  Even then the most realistic option is having these two RCA replaced.  

Agreed. I also looked at the picture but is not revealing enough to really  offer any informed opinion.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Picture format unidentifiable.

2 hours ago, rando said:

52 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I also looked at the picture but is not revealing enough to really offer any informed opinion.

I think that there might be a message here. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

I think that there might be a message here. :)

Hi  Allan

The problem here, is the need to get behind the equipment to take a clear photo, and this would involve dismantling the whole set up.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi  Allan

The problem here, is the need to get behind the equipment to take a clear photo, and this would involve dismantling the whole set up.

Kind Regards

Alex

That may be true, Alex, but a photo that doesn''t clearly show the problem to others is no more helpful than no photo.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Now that I can see your pix, it is clear that you get all that noise because the ground connection parts are missing!  You need to replace the dual-jack assembly.  It looks like something relatively standard part that has three contacts that can be unsoldered and resoldered to the new one.  LIke this: 

spacer.png 

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/271674-peavey-31466474-dual-rca-jack-for-xr-8300

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

You need to replace the dual-jack assembly.  It looks like something relatively standard part that has three contacts that can be unsoldered and resoldered to the new one.

That Peavey part to which Kal provided a link might drop in if the mounting screws are spaced right.  Unless you can buy an exact replacement from the manufacturer or a vendor, you’ll probably have a hard time finding another jack set that will seat properly and be securable with the original screws.  To force fit an inexact replacement, you may have to cut / drill the panel and/or use high tack mounting tape - and neither of these is a good idea.

I can’t see the whole panel in your pics, so I can’t tell if one or more of the input jacks is an identical piece to the broken one. From the screw pattern, it looks like the input jacks are a single assembly, in which case you can’t just short & insulate the leads to an unused input and move it to the output location. But you could disconnect the input leads from one you don’t use, leave them shorted & protected in place, and move the output wires to that pair of jacks.  If you choose this solution, be sure to label the new output location!

The rest of the RCA jacks on that unit are probably made the same way and the same age - so they’re  prone to the same failure.  The cause may have been the cable ends, the construction of the jacks, corrosion, etc.  Crimping the plug shield to make it fit more tightly can cause or contribute to this failure, as can leaving lower quality fittings undisturbed for a long time. This also happens when high quality, tight fitting plugs are inserted into jacks of lesser quality that can’t take the required force for removal.

Unless you figure out why this happened and do something to prevent it, you may have the same problem with other jacks on that unit.