IGNORED

How to Test Power Cables & Interconnects?

I would probably test cables etc. like they do for Cern, LIGO, Avionics, space stuff and most other installations involving electronics... As they are a conduit for a signal from one place to another, the perfect interconnect having no parasitic effect on the signal, this of course is impossible, so you have to determine how much effect a particular cable is having...

Cables should have as much effect as the led on your remote control....

13 hours ago, 4est said:

For starters, many of the previous posters don't think wiring matters- take their opinions with that in mind. When you say the equipment is on hand, is it new to you or have you been using it for awhile? If I assume the equipment is brand new and new to you, I'd definitely start out with the stock power cables, and use some straight forward interconnects and speaker cables using Mogami, Belden or Canare wire. A year from now after you have broken in the equipment and adjusted things you will be in a much better position to evaluate cabling. I believe cables make a difference, but it is a minor effect as compared to break in and speaker positioning. If you do not already have a copy, you'd be money ahead buying Jim Smith's book, "Get Better Sound".

What a load of twaddle, of course wiring matters, I'm talking about wiring for something like CERN or LIGO or a space craft or a nuclear power house or pro audio or a million other things where wiring is critical, its the audiophile magik wiring I disagree with.

13 hours ago, sandyk said:

I use an SMPS in my multipurpose PC and have no problems reading text even with my glasses off.

Perhaps your Laptop's SMPS PSU has seen better days ? :D

Could you send me the text on a Blu-Ray recorded at midnight using pure virgin battery power, as again the text is all fuzz, like its shrouded in veils...😂

15 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

I think this topic jumped the rails pretty quickly. My bad. Reading my original post, I realize this is my fault. I know enough to understand that the cable debate is heated and very subjective. I understand that no one can tell me what is "best" for me or my system. 10-4. Got it. 

I think what I *meant* to ask was this...
What is the best way to test system quietness? Is it as easy as hitting "pause" on a source and then cranking all gain adjustments to the maximum setting? Would this allow me to amplify any noise in the system and possibly measure it with a decibel meter? 

Seems like a potentially interesting experiment, but I wanted to ask before I did this. 

That's it. I will now duck under my desk and await your replies! 😬

Proper noise measurement is a pain and would involve an big Faraday cage (EMC lab), not doable for most of us... A scope of multi meter may give some indication of noise on signals... again without isolation its hard to locate the source....