IGNORED

MAC MINI Operating System Optimisation.

I am unable to find a single point of reference on the forum concerning my query, though it may be the forum is so large I can't easily find the data I want. It is quite likely everything I am asking about is already here somewhere, but a single point of reference might be useful, both for me & others.

I run a 2009 MAC MINI, 2.26 intel / 2 gb RAM, OS: 10:6:2, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, and I use the TV as a monitor. I do want to keep most of the basic functions of the MINI as a spare computer for the household.

Would it be beneficial to have a separate user account for critical music enjoyment with a stripped out operating system?

What steps could I take to optimize the performance of my music server? Leaving aside hardware upgrades for the moment (they will come), what should I do to the operating system to maximise SQ & minimise CPU load etc?

I read, for example, that spotlight should be disabled, but I am unable to find a simple option to turn it off, simply a long check-list of areas it searches; do I simply un-check all these items? What steps could a MAC newbie like me take?

I would, as I am sure would others, appreciate your time in this matter; a list of goals & simple instructions as to how to achieve them.

QNAP > MACMini 2015 > Audirvana+ > M2Tech Young DAC > Magnum MP250 Class A pre > Wonfor designed Single Ended Class A Monos > modified Triangle Antal ESW (Tellurium Q Black).

A simple terminal script or something that does it all that a layman like me could get to work.

wgscott- Bill where are you!

Shut down some background processes.

Renice whatever player program.

Quit the finder.

Stop spotlight ect...

Mach2music certainly is an option, but it is $400 for what, an hours work (yes, I know there are some development costs)? Then, if you have some sort of issue and you need to reinstall your system you are back to the beginning.

I'd pay $100, I bet others would too. Any takers?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I have exactly the same macmini setup and same question!

What I would add tot he question is asking to add for each point why the particular optimistaion/disabling etc is recommended and what exacty is happening with it (and would otherwise happen) so I can understand the real/potential impact or benefit to playback that can be expected.

Great idea for a thread.

$100?

There's really two main things that need to be done.

One is to disable some functions like file journaling and Spotlight. These are one time system adjustments.

The other has to be done once your playback application is up and running. That's because these are transient adjustments. You can't very well optimize processes that aren't running.

In both cases, pretty much all the information for these software tweaks has been posted in excruciating detail some months ago. Right here on Computer Audiophile. I think I may have posted AppleScripts to perform the second function myself. Certainly others have posted their suggestions.

Keep in mind that Mach2Music makes hardware changes to order. They also go through and remove various parts of the operating system that they find to be unnecessary or unhelpful for audio use. I've never seen their product, so I'm only going by what they say on their web page and in forum postings. People seem to like their work and are pleased with the results, but you couldn't prove it by me either way.

I'd suggest that some time using the search function at the top of this page would save you $100. Or, if you don't feel confident mucking around with your computer, pay someone to do it for you.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that these changes are frosting on the cake once other system performance aspects are addressed.

Of course you are correct, but surely you misunderstand the plight of the common bloke whom didn't even know what a shell was prior to attempting some of the aforementioned adjustments.

Search? Geez, I watched and attempted some of those in real time as they were posted. I got some to work on my desk 10.5 system, but struggled with my music server. Once I lost my external drive for a month. I still do not know how it came back. For a novice working on this while sitting on the floor in from of a TV (typically it runs headless), it is difficult.

I recognize that you cannot optimize something that is not running. Oddly enough I debated on posting this on the AyreWave thread where you post often. Methinks that it might be a good idea for someone to do a turnkey sort of thing in conjunction with AW as it is the best sounding player out there at the moment. Hint hint

As I stated, M2music charges $400. I am debating on this, but I think it is a little steep. I do not know for sure, but one would think that a lot of the changes could have been "saved" somehow and easily installed w/o much human intervention. Hence my complaint about the price and suggestion/offer.

I did say that I was willing to pay someone $100.

Icing on the cake? I dunno, whose to say what your system sounds like, but mine has enough resolution for me to be interested in this sort of stuff. I may be a neophyte computer person, but I have been seriously into audio for over 25 years.

I will quit complaining now, but my offer still stands. By appearances in other forums, there is money to be made. FWIW, I am not scared at all. I just do not really want to go into that dark night called unix if it is not required as it has no application to me other than audio.

Forrest:

There are several modifications that one can make to the Macmini. If you have a resolving system, you will be able to hear many subtle changes and some huge ones.

Some of these mods are related to hardware. At Mach2 Music we do hardware mods and software mods in order to offer a very comprehensive and great sounding upgrade. The OP asked about software mods, so I will try to keep on track. ;-)

Some folks mentioned two of the software mods (Spotlight and Journaling). These are two good mods, but they are just the tip of the iceburg. I agree, that paying for just these two mods is crazy.

For the OP, check out the Amarra website, they have some good setup info. It is a GREAT starting point.

For those that don't want to do 100s of hours researching, making mods, doing A/B tests, etc. and just want a great sounding machine, we offer a very comprehensive modification. It includes all the standard internet mods, as well as some proprietary mods that make a very noticeable difference.

At RMAF, we ran against 2 different modified MacMinis, after hours. In both instances, we were asked if we would leave our Mach2 so they could use it for the rest of the show. The difference our the additional mods made were quite obvious.

If you are serious about getting great sound quality, don't stop at just doing the Spotlight and Journaling tweaks. At least do all Amarra suggestions.

I'll try to be clearer.

Software changes at the system level really do have an effect. But, other improvements like more memory and ac mains improvements (however done) for the the computer power have a larger effect, at least in my experience.

Since most everybody seems to agree that the output of the computer into the DAC is "bit perfect", then changes you make in your computer (both hardware and software) must be doing something else to the rest of your system. I'll let everybody else debate what they think this might be.

One of the reasons that going to Mach2Music or one of their competitors (are there any?) is that they do all the work for you. No tinkering, no experimenting, none of that. That is truly what you pay for. Often what you pay the plumber or any other skilled worker for is their expertise in doing something. Yeah, perhaps you can fix the toilet yourself. But, do you have the tools? Do you know just what is needed to do the job right? Do you have the time to spend? Do you have the six little bits needed for the job that are normally sold by the 100?

I have been reluctant to publicize much of what I do for myself because you never know how far over someone's head what you suggest might place them in. If it's an AC line filter, do you want to risk somebody electrocuting himself? If it's tinkering with the operating system, do you want to turn the the computer into a brick so that somebody has to start from scratch? How about if the computer is also used for other family purposes or even for somebody writing a term paper and you wipe it out?

Mach2Music offers a holistic product solution. That's something to consider. Again, I have no connection to them in any way; I'm not even a customer!

As a layman, I agree the nature of fettling these servers is daunting & often undertaken blind; that is not to say I don't want to learn, indeed I aim to engage in the process of optimising my system as much as reasonably possible, but I am still a layman!

The search function is all well & good, and believe me I have tried to navigate my way around the labyrinth of good advice on the site. However, like many reference resources, there is so much info - too much in fact. Without a certain pre-existing level of knowledge, what is written here might as well be in Martian! I'm trying chaps, really I am!

I.G.: Thank you, I will do exactly as you say. That is precisely the help I had hoped for.

CG - you make some very good points, and I agree with you. You refer to the level of excruciating detail previously given to the subject - perhaps that would be a good place to start given a sufficiently rainy day...would you mind putting up a link or two so I at least know what to read? Understanding it may come later!

Mach2Music - I see very well the niche you are occupying - I wish you every success. Thank you for the Ammarra tip - that is most generous given your interests. As I said, I am interested in learning as I go so while I may not be a prospective customer (or 'punter' as we say in the UK), I do want to address the areas of greatest benefit first.

Let's hope this thread catches a few more eyes....

QNAP > MACMini 2015 > Audirvana+ > M2Tech Young DAC > Magnum MP250 Class A pre > Wonfor designed Single Ended Class A Monos > modified Triangle Antal ESW (Tellurium Q Black).

Alan,

Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the power filters these guys are offering:

http://stores.ebay.com/csg-eu/CRYSTAL-SOUND-GROUP-/_i.html?_fsub=737084015&_sid=894015135&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They may be able to help you with a plug-in solution. Although I've never tried these guys' products, I've had very good luck with similar solutions as have some of my friends who've tried this sort of thing. This would be for your computer to plug into, as well as any mains powered peripherals like hard drives.

I'd suggest using the term "renice" in your CA search.

Alan,

Its my pleasure. I hope the info helps.

CG,

We have also done testing with Power and memory (and hard drives, and SSDs, isolation, EMI, Firewire Cables, and USB cables, and more) I just like to throw some of our results in the mix too.

Power source, power conditioning, and memory all can make significant differences. The impact the memory makes somewhat depends on the software player you are using (as you know). If your software player Plays from memory, then the difference can be big. If you use something like iTunes, the memory increase may make a lesser impact.

Our test have been similar for power and conditioning. These can make a big difference if some one has dirty power. Power cords and conditioners can make a noticeable difference, because the MacMini acts like any CDP or Preamp. They like clean power, good isolation, etc.

Some software mods have less impact than the changes above, but some we have seen some, that have more impact. The combined effect of numerous software mods is substantial. Moreso then any memory upgrade I have seen (I'm not discounting your findings, just offering up ours).

Weather it is more or less than Power related mods will probably depend on where the person is starting out and what power improvements are being done. I have dedicated lines in my listening room, so in my tests, I started at a decent point. Others results may vary.

Darrell

It would be very nice if someone could write a nice small programme let's call it 'Optimal Music Server' that I could download that had a list of the things I need to switch off/adjust, by crossing the boxes it would do that for me (and if I needed it switch them back on).

I fear using terminal will be just that for me (sorry to be a wimp).

I am sure the Mach Music guys take this a whole load further which is fair enough and jolly good luck to them, maybe they could do this as a form of Junior Mach Music? - I like, some other posters, would pay for this knowing that I was not about to trash my Mac.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

On power...

I won't get into much debate here (or anywhere) over this, but here is another idea to consider.

Maybe the question is not entirely how clean the power delivered to the computer might be. Perhaps it's more about how dirty the computer makes the power line while it's doing what it's doing.

Think about the implications of this.

I hope that it doesn't seem as if I am ungrateful or too cheap. I appreciate both of your inputs on this...

Forrest:

CG,

Excellent point. Some of the good power conditioners help reduce the crap equipment puts back on the line. They are great devices.

I have an excellent PI Audio Group Majik buss. It does wonder for most of my equipment (DACs, Processor, Amps, etc). But when we tried it with the Mac Mini , it didn't sound as good. I can't explain why. After market Power cords did help the Mac Mini though.

If folks get a MacMini, I suggest you try it with different power cords and conditioners to see what works best. I never thought this stuff would matter much with a computer, but like CG said, it does.

Darrell

hi, since few weeks i use a macmini with hardware modified

with my berkeley alpha. it's french company who make it call DBsystem. the mods consist to isolate the power supply , add filtering to it, take the analog output directly after the first opamp and add a transdo output for analog.

and take the spdif out to a RCA with lundhal pulse transfo.

the sound is so good now with the berkeley , but the most surprising is that the analog output of the mini are not longer behind.

enjoy..

http://www.db-system.fr/bd_system/MacMini_modifications_db.html

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Blueixus, regarding: "I like, some other posters, would pay for this knowing that I was not about to trash my Mac."

I would pay too, but in order to benefit from en expert's knowledge. You can't really trash your Mac--worst thing that can happen is that you have to reinstall the system, which is fairly easy on a Mac. And if it sounds daunting, I'm sure your local Mac dealer can help you for a modest fee.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

The power filter - between the wall & the brick or after it? (Or one each side....)

Even for a dunce, that looks easy to fit. Just need a little case from maplins!

I'd not heard of this outfit - a very interesting service, if my French is to be trusted! Thanks for the tip, though they are a bit rich for me right now as I am about to audition DACs.