IGNORED

MAC MINI Operating System Optimisation.

+1 For the Amarra setup links.

Here is the link.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/support/howtobuildaserver.html

Check out my signature for the music server I put together last week. I am interested in hardware tweaks but haven't seen any for the 2010 Mini. Would like to try a few different USB cables to my DAC too but haven't my hands on any demos yet.

Michael

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

A simple terminal script or something that does it all that a layman like me could get to work.

wgscott- Bill where are you?

Here is a first attempt:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/files/audiophool.zsh_.zip

Here is an uncompressed version, which makes it easier to just read it first (a good idea):

http://sage.ucsc.edu/downloads/shellscripts/audiophool.zsh

Download it to (say) the desktop, open the zip file, and if the name offends, sorry, just rename it.

Then run it by opening the terminal into the directory where you downloaded it (Desktop or Downloads) and then issue the command:

./audiophool.zsh

It might even be double-clickable.

Everything is undoable just by answering no (n).

You have to be an admin user, and some of the commands use "sudo" so you will have to supply your password. The shell script doesn't actually "see" the password, so it is safe.

Good to see you posting here. I know there is a fine line for manufacturers who might want to promote their products versus answering questions, and it appears that you are being respectful of that.

Because of the nature of my system, it is better for me to use a MacBook than a Mini, I am wondering if M2M is prepared to offer their full mod suite for the MacBook Pro in addition to the Mini? It sounds like you guys have preferred suppliers of memory and SSDs, and I understand that you would probably not like to divulge which providers these may come from (I understand, if you engaged in extensive testing, why would you want to share the knowledge which you have gained). For those of us thta prefer to use a laptop for our server, it would be nice if you could upgrade them.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

If Terminal scripts make you nervous, you can also try Deeper to turn off Spotlight and some other features that you might think compromise your system audio performance. (Nothing at all wrong with wgscott's script, but a lot of people are Terminal averse...)

http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Using Deeper may also give you a better feeling about the bass performance, too.

I'll answer some of the questions you asked here, that pertain to the thread, and suggest we take the in-depth Mach2 - MacBook Pro in discussion offline, since this is a Macmini thread.

We have tried different memory brands and so far we don't hear any differences. Having more memory generally helps though. So far, I haven't heard anyone claim one brand sounds better than other.

The quick reply to your MacBook Pro question is No, we don't offer a MacBook Pro Mach2 service, but we could if enough MacBook owners showed interest. When we discussed this we figured this would be a small market because most laptop owners run day-to-day apps which would negate a lot of the optimization. A dedicated Music server will sound best.

If you want to email me at Mach2, or start a MacBook thread here, we could discuss this further. Maybe we misjudged the MacBook Music server potential?

Darrell

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to read the Amarra tips page on how to set up a Mac audio server, but the page seems to be dead. Does anyone happen to have a download of the info that used to be contained on this page?

Mac Mini 2010/2.4GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD[br]HiFace USB/Coax adapter[br]Drobo 4x2TB media storage[br]Denon 3808ci receiver (used as pre/pro)[br]Oppo BDP-83 universal BD/DVD/CD player[br]JVC DLA-HD250 projector[br]Rotel RMB-1095/RB-1080 power amps[br]VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SME 309/ATML150/SDS/SAMA turntable assembly[br]Quad 44 preamp ( with MM and MC phono modules)[br]Dynaudio Audience center/surround/rear speakers[br]Dynaudio Aries F/R speakers[br]NHT 1259/Rythmik Audio 12\" subwoofer[br]

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen,

Having recently started to use a mac mini 2010 as music server connected to a Weiss Int202 through firewire, I am wondering what part of all this really applies. The mac mini has 8GB or ram and a 200 GB OWC SSD.

Knowing that the Mac mini to Weiss communication through firewire is asynchronous and managed by the Weiss, the rationale should dictate that as long as the Mac mini is able to deliver the information reasonably well, the quality of the signal arriving to the dac should not be impacted at all by whatever you do on the Mac mini or upstream of it, right?

The only way the mac mini could therefore degrade the sound is by affecting negatively the other components of the system, either through AC or through waves, correct?

The consequences of these statements should be that:

1. OS tunes and the like should only deliver value if the mac without them isn't able to deliver enough information to the player... which should most probably not happen if playing from memory... and is proven not to happen at all if the Weiss is able to pass tests for perfect bit exactness. Things like Spotlight and the like have very small impact on CPU, and the effect is basically zero if the mac is used only as a music player (no new data to index).

2. Insulating the AC of the mac mini/HD/Weiss from the pre-amp/amp/dac might be required, but even this should take into account the fact that your AC cord is probably over-insulated already and very well filtered out in the first place. But OK, let's assume that a shielded power cable and power filter can help. What are the recommendations and are these recommendations based on some measurements and critical tests (see below)?

3. Regarding the ability of the Mac mini to affect negatively the sound quality through radiowaves (wifi, power unit emitted dirty waves,...). I have serious doubts as well but regardless, what can be done and how does the physical shielding of other components in the system impact the requirements?

Finally, one question regarding the tests showing that either of these things not supposed to make a difference actually make one. My scientific background leads me to think that tests to have meaning would have to be:

- blind,

- performed by several people with no direct interest in the results,

- performed at least 5 to 10 times.

I am wondering what part of the tests reported about here are done in these conditions?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1