IGNORED

[How-To] How and why to configure a shell replacement?

Hello

Of course RoonServer is available as shell replacement? Much more than that, see the entire list of Roon shell replacements here:

image.png.b8315b8603a414458f4f8c0d3c7c5761.png

Either way, for what you want you need to create your custom shell. See detailed steps here -> https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56327-how-to-customshell-as-shell-replacement/

A mapped network drive does still work even when you select to disable network related services. But you have to use static IP configuration and need to map the drive using an IP instead of a hostname. The password issue I have never heard of, sorry.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 6 months later...

Hi

Simply press Ctrl-Alt-Del to either load the task manager or ServiceTool directly. Then you can choose to revert back to default shell.

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 7 months later...
15 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i get that error -- it's a fidelizer issue, not ao.  it also doesn't matter -- everything works regardless.

@Windows X, do you have an idea?

Best,

AudioPhil

On 7/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, dminches said:

Do you set the shell replacement before or after running AO?

Do AO first. Then launch the ServiceTool to configure the shell replacement as you need it.

This might also be interesting for you:
https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/how-and-why-to-configure-a-shell-replacement
https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/customshell-as-shell-replacement

Best,

AudioPhil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello beajuju

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the questions :)

1. No, not needed. But a nice additional step to have a cleaner windows installation with a lot less of bloat.

2. Please see here: https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/how-and-why-to-configure-a-shell-replacement

3. No. There are various ways to achieve that goal after using a shell replacement. One of them would be this one (page 28 of the PDF guide):

grafik.png.e0c584178c46312e42fe9792a7771a6f.png

Instead of launching ServiceTool like in the example above you would simply start "explorer.exe". This will launch the entire windows desktop "on-demand" so to speak.

Best,

AudioPhil

23 minutes ago, beajuju said:

Thank you @AudioPhil!

It seems to be a bug or conflict if I am using a Shell for Fidelizer Pro (See post 15 from @Windows X). What would be the most appropriate solution?

I'm wondering a bit about @Windows X answer because the combination of Fidelizer and the shell replacement feature has been working well for years now. As far as I remember there is a setting within Fidelizer which does not cause itself to start after login.

Very best,

AudioPhil

5 hours ago, Windows X said:

Hi. Since Fidelizer Pro has its own startup procedure, setting up as AO Shell can cause conflicts. I recommend to use Fidelizer with its own startup procedure since Windows Server 2016 and newer has startup feature implemented now.

Hi Kee

This is no good advice sorry. Fidelizer is using a similar to "autostart" function while the shell replacement is a completely different approach with a big effect on sound quality. Therefore it's not really advisable to just stick to the built in autostart feature, but to rather disable this and use the shell replacement with all it's advantages.

Best,

AudioPihl

Dear @tonym

I suggest you set Fiderlizer as shell and let it launch Roon Server. Alternatively set RoonServer as shell and let Fidelizer Autostart itself, both is possible.

Best,

AudioPhil

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, latenz said:

@AudioPhil

hi 

i am running win server 2019 in core mode.

it’s a one box solution with Jcat Xe usb to a dac.

roonserver, hqplayer and fidelizer are running.

The machine is  headless. At the moment it’s Autologin- and fidelizer is starting Hqplayer and roonserver.

should I start a shellreplacement in core mode?

and how? Only fidelizer she’ll replacement? Or should I build my own? With all Programms...

can you advice best practice. Thank you

Hello

How is documented in detail at the beginning of this thread and also in our PDF manuels. For your setup I think you can just use a the built in shell replacement for fidelizer and let it launch HQplayer. I don't think you need to create a custom one.

Very best,

AudioPhil