IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

From the archives...an excerpt from an email Paul sent to me in March 2022.  Back then, assembling my modules was tantamount to "jumping the queue."

Regarding your orders, I will be happy to comply with your request for the SR7DR Teflon/Z-foil modules and transformers when your orders reach the front of the queue. At present, whilst I have all the materials here in stock to complete this request I have not yet completed your regulator module build as you cancelled your request for Turbo upgrades with the latest boards. Fortunately I still have the older non-turbo Teflon module boards in stock although there will be some work required to finish building these and that will have to wait until your orders become current in the queue.

People might be interested to know that I have a database of build numbers and owners.  There are at least 40 power supplies that have not yet been delivered.  I have been able to definitively identify the owners for 26 of those builds.  The details are confidential.

For context, if you assume the average build costs £3,000, then the amount which has been stolen is a minimum of £120,000.  However, many people specified more elaborate builds, so the actual total could easily be £150,000, if not higher.

We are talking about a large sum of money.  It's not just a random person here and there who happens to be out a few thousand pounds.  I think not everyone appreciates the magnitude of the situation. 

4 hours ago, flkin said:

I'm guessing that, similar to my order in 2018, the original specs for many orders in the existing custom queue is already outdated.

True in some cases.  In others, people paid for changes ("upgrades") to their build specifications as time passed and their initial requirements became outdated.  It was a key part of the Ponzi scheme.

11 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

No skin in this game other than following this sad but fascinating saga. I think the problem is that 150,000 pounds is NOT that much money. It's a lot of money, of course, for those who have lost it (thankfully nobody's letting their children starve to buy audiophile pixie dust), but not a lot of cash to bring down what could have been a thriving business for PH. Think about it - perhaps 1/4 to 1/3rd of that 150K would go to raw supplies. The other is about a year to a year and half's worth of salary, at most (at least for many of us in the middle). If he was putting out a minimum of two to three power supplies a month, then he would have gotten through a list of 40 customers in a year to a year and half, and would be fine continuing to add more customers as he went. PH's big mistake was to keep taking orders once he could no longer fulfill them in a timely manner or at all (three-six months max should have been his cutoff time for fulfillment before taking on new orders). Therefore with no orders going out, at a certain point, as potential customers wised up, there would be no more orders coming in. So that money got spent as 'salary,' and now there's nothing left to make the actual product (I'm assuming). If the wait has been three years now, that's not a lot of 'advance' (or should I say grift) to live off indefinitely, esp with no new orders arriving. 

I do think between this, LH Labs and a few others, it's time for some audiophiles to also look at themselves moving forward and how much FOMO (fear of missing out) has clouded their good judgement in purchasing. Sometimes it's best to just be happy with what you have (or go with an actual functioning business like Custom HiFi). I'll bet that nobody sees anything from PH ever again, compromise or not, though he will string a few along with 'working the weekend' promises, in order to try and not only excuse himself, but also keep that FOMO alive. All very sad. 

I agree with the thrust of what you are saying.  However, Paul has not bought much in the way of parts, so your 1/4 to 1/3 estimate is way too high.  This is the crux of the problem.  They money went straight to paying his "salary." 

Paul was running a Ponzi scheme all along but got too greedy.  Eventually, it collapsed from its own weight as all Ponzi's eventually do.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Guys , i need some help for my newly bought sr5t second hand.

i bought the unit with 110 v fuse, and i forgot to switch it to 230 v when i connected it to my system.

the fuse appearently blew up, and i hope the ps is ok.

i need to buy a new fuse now and i m asking some clarifications.

at the back of the lps it is written :

fuse 1,6 A time delay

110v/240 v.

is it normal to have same specs for 110v/230v?

should i order 1,6 A slow bow?

any idea wich brand should i go with, thinking qsa blue….

thks a lot!

I believe the fuse value for 220v would be half of 1.6A, but get confirmation from someone else with more technical knowledge than me.