IGNORED

Article: Focal Elegia Full Review

Great review.  Thanks.  Love to hear your thoughts on the Stellia at some point.

Your comparisons to the HD820 were of great interest as we are looking for closed back design and are considering both the Elegia and the Stellia.   The HD820 is also of interest but no one in town is willing to bring them in for audition without prior purchase.  

Nice write-up.  

I recently switched from Aeon Closed to Elegia as my main device, and have been very pleased.  I've found with just a minim of EQ, these really shine.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

7 hours ago, JoshM said:

I haven’t heard the Stellia, but I’d love to. According to Jude’s measurements, they’re a little more U-shaped than the Elegia, which makes me somewhat skeptical at that price point. But Focal’s won a lot of trust from me. Even the issues with the Elear were minor. 

In terms of price and target market, the Stellia and the HD820 are apples-to-apples, but that’s why I was so impressed by the fact that the Elegia outshines the HD820 at a much lower price point. 

We did a very brief but interesting comparison using my PONO player switching between the Elegia and Stellia.  They were easy to drive with this portable player.  To our ears the Stellia had a higher level of fidelity and was our first choice.  The Sennheiser HD800S had a more expansive soundstage, albeit less dynamic, as it was a hard load for the PONO.  As mentioned, we have yet to hear the HD820.  The bearded one at Audiostream posted a positive review of the HD820 claiming it exceeded the performance of the HD800.

21 hours ago, wdw said:

We did a very brief but interesting comparison using my PONO player switching between the Elegia and Stellia.  They were easy to drive with this portable player.  To our ears the Stellia had a higher level of fidelity and was our first choice.  The Sennheiser HD800S had a more expansive soundstage, albeit less dynamic, as it was a hard load for the PONO.  As mentioned, we have yet to hear the HD820.  The bearded one at Audiostream posted a positive review of the HD820 claiming it exceeded the performance of the HD800.

Nice to hear positive impressions of the Stellia. It doesn't seem that many people have it in their hands yet.

I've also read some negative takes on the Stellia's looks. (Someone compared it to a glazed chocolate donut!) But I like the looks. (Of course, I like glazed chocolate donuts, too! 🤣

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

Nice to hear positive impressions of the Stellia. It doesn't seem that many people have it in their hands yet.

I've also read some negative takes on the Stellia's looks. (Someone compared it to a glazed chocolate donut!) But I like the looks. (Of course, I like glazed chocolate donuts, too! 🤣

the look when in hand is all luxury Hermes.....surprisingly light and comfortable....think their market strategy with the Stellia and Arche Amp offers a headphone system as an easy use luxury music system for non-audiophile music lovers which could easily fit in a well-designed home.

would love to audition the new DAC/Amp by Focal, the "Arche"...understand it has Micromega internals and customizable output for their product line...looks like a promising one set solution

https://www.focal.com/en/headphones-0/headphones/headphones-electronics/amplifier-dac/arche

Another nice review Josh.  I like the way you explicate technicalities such as tonal balance, microdetail and the like - simple (knowing your target audience in a general review) without being simplistic

Would be interested in your opinion as to the more subjective side of this HP.  At SBAF and elsewhere there is a diversity of largely negative opinion around theese HP's -  that there is a "sheen", "metallic", "shoutiness", and "lack of body" to be found in the mid/upper mid/lower treble to these HP's.  At first I wrote off much of this negativity, it being probably due to so many HP users familiarity with the Sennheiser/ZMF "smoothness"  and how the Focal speed/dynamics/clarity is such a different and largely opposite presentation.   However, when you say "...The Elegia can’t compete with the Clear’s detail retrieval and realism..." I wonder if there is something to it, as Focal speed/dynamics without realism/accuracy/body in between would indeed be an odd sound.

@jhwalker, what does your EQ look like - where and how much are you adjusting?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!