IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

So €249/$289 per machine license so double for a dual box, chained setup.

When Euphony updates to a new, major version like 4.0 it seems one has to pay for the update: €86/$99. Again double for a dual setup.

IMO this is a bit steep, e.g. compared to a Roon Lifetime license. And yes this is coming from someone who easily pays e.g. >1000 for a power cable. ;) 

It's also quite a bit more expensive than JRiver updates for major versions.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

Hi, May I know which Apacer model are you using and links where to puchase please? Looking for my NUC8i7BNH. Thanks.

Look for this model D21.23180S.001, DRAM_DDR4 SODIMM 2666-19 512x8 4GB SA-E Industrial HF, assuming it's compatible with your NUC.  There are 8GB and 16GB versions with different part numbers.  If you can't find it online, try contacting the Apacer representative in your country or region.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jbm_2021 said:

Thanks Tokyokyoto and auricgoldfinger. I am actually thinking of this one https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813132833?quicklink=true

and this one https://www.newegg.com/core-i7-7th-gen-intel-core-i7-7700/p/N82E16819117727?quicklink=true

See any issues with the above?

I would like your insight into these questions please.

1. Is it possible to run Euphony server and Euphony client (Stylus) in the same box?

2. If one above is possible, is a separate Euphony stylus client away from the Server better in terms of sound quality?

3. Can the SoTM NEO act as a Euphony client without having to run Roon in the Euphony server?

I don't see the power consumption for the ASUS.  The i7 is rated at 65W.  A 19v Farad will only give you 57W, so I don't think it will work with the i7.  This is not my area of expertise, so others may want to chime in.

2 hours ago, jbm_2021 said:

1. Is it possible to run Euphony server and Euphony client (Stylus) in the same box?

Yes

2. If one above is possible, is a separate Euphony stylus client away from the Server better in terms of sound quality?

I believe the answer depends on the server configuration.  For example, having everything in the same box is likely to work better on a higher powered server.  With a NUC, a 2-box solution may sound better.

3. Can the SoTM NEO act as a Euphony client without having to run Roon in the Euphony server?

Can you install Stylus EP on the NEO?  If not, then I don't know how it would be compatible unless I am missing something.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Jussi explained this is how HQPe handles playback of mono files.  Where Stylus will automatically play it back to both channels, HQPe needs it manually mapped to both.

This really threw me for a loop as I did not expect this behavior.  I rarely if ever play back mono files but need to keep this in mind when doing so.

That's kind of a bizarre playback strategy for HQPe.

19 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

What makes the parameters better? It's not just about speed, I think

The bottom line is we don't really know.  Does the WD-Black use better materials that might improve sound quality relative to the EVO?  Why does industrial, wide temperature RAM sound better to so many people?  Is it materials?  I have not seen a definitive answer.  Does the WD-Black have lower latency (similar to the Optane) than the EVO?  We don't know from the specifications.  Only listening tests can give us an idea.

In my experience, a 32GB Optane M10 sounded noticeably better than an Apacer industrial, wide temperature SSD in my NUC when used to run the Euphony OS.  The general assumption seems to be lower latency of the Optane is responsible for the improvement in sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

That echoes my views as well... sounding wonderful on a single 10i7NUC based system...

I haven't played yet with isolating cores or using the ethtool commands... and I do not run ramroot either.

I found running without ramroot sounder more open and with more air in the mix.

So I have the same question here, can anyone advise on a core isolation / ethtool setting for standalone NUC to start from and explain how further tweaks can bring the listening experience to the next level?

I found the user manual to be lacking this guidance.

Look for posts from TheAttorney throughout this thread for detailed, specific information.

3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I should point out that, as of a few days ago, I've thrown money at my downsizing objective (to reduce box and spaghetti count) and replaced a whole line of components, including my NUC, with a posh dedicated server (see the Grimm MU1 thread).

Congratulations on your new server!  I know your downsizing objective has been a long-term, ongoing process.  What other changes did you make?

• 3 months later...