IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

And when can we expect a new, or an upgraded product from Sonore based on John’s design ? (Leave out the forthcoming Optical SonicTransporter, which is a SGC product). 

What more can be invented ?

And will you allow for a wishlist tread ?

No need because that technology is already incorporated. 

The OEM opticalModule board for the sonicTransporter series is in production. No ETA on availability.

Wishlist threads usually end up bad because people take it personally when our ideas don’t coincide with theirs. We keep a watchful eye on trends, but we also have our vision which we need to follow. 

9 hours ago, JoseL said:

Thanks! The rubber bands around the OM came in the box from Sonore. I guess their purpose is to avoid scratching on any surface. The ties, as you guessed, are there to keep both units attached to the card holder. 

The black rubber bands are an alternative to the small rubber feet we provide with the microRendu. 

45 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I have my audio components (streamer/DAC/(pre)amp) on a dedicated power line and behind an isolation transformer and I want to keep everything else out of this cluster in electrical/noise injecting terms. My understanding is that this can be done with the EtherREGEN but not with the opticalModule.

Fiber optic networking gives you 100% galvanic isolation from your network. Connect fiber optic to the opticalModule and connect the RJ-45 end to your streamer. 

1 hour ago, skatbelt said:

Yes, I know what fiber optic does but I don't think you got the point that I don't want a unit like the opticalModule, the EtherREGEN or any other solution within the (power)cluster behind the isolation transformer. To my understanding I can keep the EtherREGEN out of this cluster and have complete galvanic isolation. May be @Superdad can clarify this?

Your right I didn’t understand your point. Your network and all the stuff connected to it is what you can’t isolate completely with your scheme. Your network gear has some inherent galvanic isolation, but for 100% galvanic isolation from your network you need a fiber optic bridge.

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

The opticalModule is an FMC. Keep it outside of your isolation transformer and send the fiberoptic cable in. That way you get complete electrical isolation. That’s how I do it.

My view of the EtherRegen, but not speaking for @Superdad, it that it would be best used to accept a fiber connection from outside the isolation transformer and relay to an RJ-45 Ethernet connection also within the isolation transformer power domain.

I'm not followng this logic. The optical signal on the opticalModule is 100% galvanically isolated. We also recommend a separate power supply for the opticalModule and linear power supplies have built in isolation via their transformers.  

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Transformers are used to block common mode noise (secondary neutral to ground).

Interwinding capacitance allows common mode noise to pass through, why the little tiny transformers in copper Ethernet PHY allow common mode noise into boards and out the USB and into the DAC. 

Well made networking equipment, like yours, does not need a special isolation transformer before the power supply to function, nor will it necessarily reduce jitter — at least as measured with the high end equipment. 

Your opticalModule can happily sit outside the isolation transformer and send it’s optical signal in. 

If the opticalModule sits inside the transformer, then pesky common mode noise might find its way into the audio system — you now share a ground and so the complete galvanic isolation is broken. 

The isolation transformer blocks common mode noise from your fridge  or cheap SMPS in the house etc from getting into your power supply and the good power supplies in the audio system, opticalRendu etc block differential mode noise. 

Thats the short story, ha ha ha!

Thanks, I was thinking about the receiving opticalModule not the transmitting opticalModule.

Also, remember the opticalModule is bi-directional and be used optical in and Ethernet out so you want a linear supply powering the receiving opticalModule. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sgb said:
  •  

Sonore opticalModule - HQPlayer - Dropouts

I have problem with dropouts when playing music via Roon and HQPlayer.

My configuration is:
- Synology Diskstation DS1512+
- Cat6
- Netgear GS608 v3 (8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch)
- Cat6
- PC (Core i7-8700 3.200Ghz, 16GB Ram) with Roon, HQPlayer (ver 4.1.0.1)
- Cat6
- TRENDnet TEG S51SFP (Switch - 4 x 10/100/1000 + 1 x Gigabit SFP) with a tp-link TL-SM311LM SFP module (LPS 5V)
- StarTech.com Multimode 62.5/125 Duplex Fiber Patch Cable LC - LC 
- Sonore opticalModule (LPS 6.8V)
- Cat6
- Sonore ultraRendu (App HQPlayer NAA)
- Curious usb cable
- Mytek Brooklyn Dac (LPS)

All has firmware upgraded to the latest.

When I connect via cat6 (bypass the Sonore opticalModule) to the Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts.
Also when I change to Roon Ready in Sonore ultraRendu there is no dropouts when using 
Sonore opticalModule.

Is the Sonore opticalModule not compatible with HQPlayer?

As a point of reference when was the last time you updated your unit?

9 hours ago, sgb said:

Updated and rebooted ten minutes ago. No change, lots of dropouts.

There is one thing I have to mention. If I change the Bit rate in HQPlayer to 44,1k x64 the dropouts disappear or are almost gone. When I connect direct to the ultraRendu via cat6 I can use Bitrate 44,1k x256 without dropouts. So there seems to be some limitations in the opticalModule depending on the Bitrate setting in HQPlayer.

My settings in HQPlayer:

1802562644_Settings1.JPG.fca5d1b6ba24eb32096b6ce5a28be4d5.JPG

657403027_Settings2.JPG.d6d96c7312e30b611c7dd1e115564468.JPG

Try this as a test. Place one of your switches between the opticalModule and the Rendu. 

2 hours ago, sgb said:

How sure are about the outcome of this test. Because, to do this test I have to buy a third switch. The Netgear GS608 v3 is located in another room and I can't move it because of the cabeling to the NAS and PC. The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP switch I can't use to connect after the opticalModule.

It’s just a test. You can’t swap the position of the Trendnet and the oM?

2 minutes ago, sgb said:

The TRENDnet TEG S51SFP is a unmanaged switch so there is nothing to turn of. It is a gigabit switch just as Sonore recommends. The SFP module is the same that Sonore and Small Green Computers sells. 

My friends switch has no SFP and works well between the opicalModule and the ultraRendu and makes the dropouts disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Email me [email protected] so we can work out a cleaner solution for you.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

I received my optical module last week powered by SGC 5 v lps. It gets really hot. I can’t hold the unit more than a few seconds. I can’t imagine how the 7 or 9 volt power supplies could possibly get hotter than this. The led on the SGC PS reads 5 volts. Is it possible it’s actually running at 7 or 9? Or could something else be going on?

The only way to know for sure is to use a voltage meter at the output? Are you using the SFP we provide?

18 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Nice power cord from Sonore - which for me needing two meters would be 1.5X the price of the UltraSupply and 3X the price of the opticalModule! It had better sound good! 

Indeed:) We are actually looking at offering a power supply cable just for the ultraSupply product line. 

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Purchased one OM and got it hooked up today.  It replaced my Trendnet TFC-1000MGA.  Basically just replaced the Trendnet (plug n play) with the OM.

All I get is studdering (won't play for .5 sec) see sig for my gear/setup.  I'm using two identical FMC's = Cisco glc-sx-mm

OM is powered by Jameco reliapro 5W, 5V, 1 Amp from the Trendnet.

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG2216 (flow control enabled on ports) => Fiber comes from TL-SG2216 switch (laundry room) to listening room and the OM gets the fiber and then a short 8" Ethernet cable to mU in audio rack

If this is the same issue with the TP-Link FMC's => mU / endpoints wouldn't run very well using GB optical speed or something like that and Chris/Jabbor recommended using a dumb 10/100 switch, which solved the issue for many.  Thus the Trendnet FMC which is a 10/100/1000 FMC and has worked beautifully without issue since adopting that.  Not one issue.

Was seriously considering a OR after getting a OM going and not sure if this is a mU issue, but if one has to use an additional dumb switch in between OM and mU (in audio rack in my instance) I would be against that for obvious reasons.  I did however do that exact thing as a test => Prosafe GS105 5 port GB dumb switch.  Solved the issue. 

Ideas?

What output mode are you using? What version of Sonic Orbiter are you on and when was the last update?

On 9/6/2019 at 3:00 AM, sgb said:

Yes. The opticalModule dosn't work with HQP if you are using SDM output and higher Bit rate. I had the same problem. It worked when I put a switch between the OM and the DAC. But that's not a good solution.

My solution was that my fantastic swedish distributor bought back my ultraRendu and I bought a opticalRendu that works and sounds amazing with any settings on the HQPlayer.

The opticalModule and opticalRendu combination will always works well with HQ Player and NAA because the opticalRendu has built in flow control capabilities. When you use a microRendu or ultraRendu with an opticalModule the flow control is requested but your switch or router has to handle the request which can be hit or mis on some systems.    

On 9/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, JohnSwenson said:

It was supposed to be added to the software for the other rendus, but I'm not sure if it actually made it.

John it has not and we need to push it into the other Rendu's. We are planning to do this very soon.