IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yes, that should work.  I would like to see closer to 1.5A max output, just to have a bit more headroom, but 1A at 5 VDC should work fine.  The oM consumes about 400-600 mA during playback, boot up is a probably a bit more, momentarily (hard to measure because boot current draw peak is very short term).

The Sonore Power Supply for the oM is rated 1.5A (and can provide peak currents well beyond this) and 5 VDC output.

Excellent.  I will try the Keces to power it.  As an aside, how would I know in operation if it required more headroom? 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

You should be fine, as long as it boots up with any difficulty, then in use it will use less current anyway.  If it has any issues powering up, then you know there is a problem, but I am almost certain 1A will be enough.  It kind of depends on the power supply as well, some may have overcurrent protection which kicks in right at its rating, others will allow for brief peaks of current output over their rating.

I appreciate your quick and helpful responses.  I have a back-up power supply should the Keces solution be inadequate.

11 minutes ago, barrows said:

I recommend all Sonore customers first get set up with OM-1 multimode fiber.  Then, if everything is working and sounding great, and one has an itch to experiment, it is pretty easy and affordable to do so.

Personally, i decided to experiment with SMF and SFPs because I read that some Lumin X-1 DAC users are preferring SMF for sound quality reasons.  I tried SMF, and for sure it is not worse (I am using no attenuators, and I have a 20 m run of OS-2 SMF), and maybe it is a smidge better (more natural sounding?) but do not quote me on that, as I could easily imagine a difference this small in the short term.  In any case, I am going to keep the SMF set up in place for long term evaluation.

Note that one has to replace both SFP transceivers with specific single mode fiber ones, and then get single mode fiber cable.  These parts all need to be matching for proper operation.

Keep us posted on your journey.  I have a 30-day return on the Sonore stuff so I could easily swap out the modules and the fiber if there were reports of better SQ with a different approach.

1 minute ago, barrows said:

I would rather not be the person to count on for subjective difference reports, as any differences (if at all), are quite subtle, and may not be definitive.  But I would like to welcome customers experimenting with different fiber types to report their findings here.

The reason for this is in these days of objective/subjective wars, one can come under attack from any side (or both), and this is not a good position for a manufacturer's representative to be in (damned if you, damned if you do not).  I find the whole "dichotomy" rather ridiculous, as well as the apparent need to be "right", after all, measurements are critical to designing the best possible gear, but so is listening, and these two things are hardly in opposition to each other!

Well said.  Let's hope some people chime in. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I found benefit in replacing my Startech FMC with an opticalModule.  You may want to consider taking advantage of the 30-day return policy to try another one for yourself.

From the March Audiostream review:

“When I questioned Gillis about the noise-reduction benefits of replacing the first two TP-Links located on either end of the 75 ft optical cable that connects the router in the main house to the second router in the music room, he said that Sonore designers had conducted tests, and, ‘It won't make a difference. We have done testing on very resolving systems. We only hear improvement in the last leg with optical.’”

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, sahmen said:

Just in case you're not asking a rhetorical question: I think it is possible to reverse the directionality of the OM and connect it to the ER using an RJ45 copper cable. It is even possible to use two OMs connected via fibre in the same chain, with each other side connected via RJ45, either to a router, or to the ER. I personally wouldn't connect an OM using either approach, as they do not suit my particular needs, but  I wouldn't be surprised other enthusiasts are already using one or the other configuration.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, kzs70 said:

Thanks for this information. I am also considering the OM (or a cheaper TP link media converter) between my router and  ER, but my gut feeling tells me I should get the OM with an LPS. Please let us know your opinion after the burn in period and adding the LPS too...

@kzs70Check out this review of the Sonore oM, which touches on the difference with a TP Link.  The reviewer also used an LPS.  Hint: The reviewer gave a rave review of the oM.