IGNORED

What's the consensus on ethernet cables?

3 hours ago, mansr said:

You're still assuming there is a single path that dominates. This may or may not be the case in any given situation.

You may feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, at any particular instant in time, there is always a path that dominates. Perhaps not by much though. 🤪

Since everyone is picking nits here. And I honestly do not see the applicability here unless the DAC is plugged directly into an ethernet port. And perhaps not even then. 

Ethernet transmissions are basically at RF frequencies, ignoring little things like 4D encoding using Pulse Amplitude Modulation, Power over Ethernet, Full Duplex operation, etc. Or at the other end, single pair connections (PHYs) from the automotive world some folks are using for audio. 

The physical transport of data over ethernet is complex.  But it is data being transmitted, not music. Different rules apply. 

I am not convinced that the differences some folk hear with ethernet cables is purely some kind of expectation bias, but the evidence that might be the case is compelling and should not be dismissed. On the other paw, it ain’t worth stomping on someone’s dream either. 🥜

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein