IGNORED

Upsampling 24-bit files

Mike Rubin

Thanks to the bug that causes DAC crashes when Linux sources play a mix of 16-44.1 and 24-44.1 into an XMOS USB DAC, I would like to convert a number of 24-44.1FLAC files to 24-88.2 and save them to my hard drive.  I am using JRiver MC24 in Windows 10 for library management. JRiver itself doesn't seem to have this capability, although I would appreciate learning if I am incorrect about this. 

I have found a number of applications that convert between formats and a couple that will change sampling rates for mp3's.  However, I am coming up short on applications that can do what I want for FLAC's. 

I would prefer a free application that will allow me to tackle a few hundred files one time as a batch conversion.  If I need to, though, I am willing to pay a reasonable price for a reliable application that works without complication and will use a free one that will require me to convert one file at a time.

I know that some applications, including JRiver, will change sampling rates as they play, but that isn't what I am after.  I want to alter the files themselves.  I am using a streamer to play to my main system and don't believe that my DLNA applications will do more than pass than pass the files in the state in which they find them.

Any suggestions for applications or corrections of anything that I may have misstated here?   Thanks for your assistance.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks, guys.  I couldn't figure out how to get DBpoweramp to do this when I tried before I posted, but I see that Foobar can do this.  I will go that route. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

19 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks to the bug that causes DAC crashes when Linux sources play a mix of 16-44.1 and 24-44.1 into an XMOS USB DAC, I would like to convert a number of 24-44.1FLAC files to 24-88.2 and save them to my hard drive.  I am using JRiver MC24 in Windows 10 for library management. JRiver itself doesn't seem to have this capability, although I would appreciate learning if I am incorrect about this. 

You say that the DA crashes when you play a mix of 16/44.1 and 24/44.1, so why not just convert the 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 (or vice versa) in a batch?  JRiver can do that.

What does conversion of 24/44.1 to 24/88.2 have to do with the stated problem?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

7 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

You say that the DA crashes when you play a mix of 16/44.1 and 24/44.1, so why not just convert the 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 (or vice versa) in a batch?  JRiver can do that.

What does conversion of 24/44.1 to 24/88.2 have to do with the stated problem?

That's why I wanted software, Kal. It's less work to convert the 24/44 files because I have a million more 16/44's than 24/44's.   Also, having paid for hi-res, I didn't want to downsample to CD quality.  I couldn't figure out a way to change sampling rate in JRiver.

Converting to 24/88 and eliminating 24/44's from my library completely, at least until my DAC's manufacturer gets around to updating firmware, avoids the possibility that a 24/44 will follow a 16/44 or vice versa when I put my library on shuffle.  I am trying not to crash my system.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

If you ever change your mind, dBpoweramp does an excellent job (see http://src.infinitewave.ca/).  You use the Batch Converter.  After selecting tracks for conversion, you hit the Convert button, select the encoding (flac, aiff, etc.), choose from the DSP options, i.e. Resample,  Bit Depth, Volume Normalize (optional), then hit the Convert button. Not long ago, I converted more than 800 tracks all at once (for my iPod). If you already own dBpoweramp, you really should give it a try.

Excellent information!  Thanks!

15 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, guys.  I couldn't figure out how to get DBpoweramp to do this when I tried before I posted, but I see that Foobar can do this.  I will go that route. 

dBPoweramp Batch converter will do it, also.

Crap, I now see that @lucretius already posted that!

10 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

That's why I wanted software, Kal. It's less work to convert the 24/44 files because I have a million more 16/44's than 24/44's.   Also, having paid for hi-res, I didn't want to downsample to CD quality.  I couldn't figure out a way to change sampling rate in JRiver.

1.  JRMC can convert word length for FLAC files.  Use Advanced Tools/Convert Format

2.  In JRiver under Tools/Audio/DSP/Output Format, you can just set the sampling rate for 44.1 files to 88.2 and it will do it on the fly.  Keeps your original files.

Kal Rubinson

Kal, does the second option affect DLNA streaming playback or just local playback to the device connected to the Windows computer? I was told awhile ago that it was the latter, which is the reason I thought I had to convert the files themselves. 

17 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Kal, does the second option affect DLNA streaming playback or just local playback to the device connected to the Windows computer? I was told awhile ago that it was the latter, which is the reason I thought I had to convert the files themselves. 

I cannot say for sure but, depending on your DLNA format options, DSP is possible.

Kal Rubinson

Excellent.  Thanks for the information.