IGNORED

CD players are back ?

7 minutes ago, diecaster said:

No, it's not. you or I can make claims all day long without studying digital processing. Regardless of who makes claims, the validity of the claims is the evidence that supports or disputes them. Who makes the claims has zero impact of the validity of those claims.

This guy is using the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy to support what he says.

you are saying that one does NOT need to understand digital processing????

are you from Ostrichalia??

the validity of the claims is NOT the evidence - the ev. either supports a claim or does not - maybe you meant something else?

1 hour ago, Hugo9000 said:

I think he means that the validity of the claims is based on the evidence that supports or disputes them (the claims).  The person making the actual claims doesn't matter, it's the supporting evidence for the claims that matters.

could be, but if so, he din't put it well

the person making a claim definitely means something tho - consider an expert in a field vs. Joe Six Pack

21 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

I'm from the 20th century.  I don't need to know what all that means.  

I do rip tracks from my CDs into mp3 & wave in iTunes, then transfer the tracks to my iPod and iPhone.  

I would assume "streaming ripped content" means to access files ripped from CD that are stored remotely, in the Cloud, etc.  Either way it doesn't matter as I do not use the 'Cloud', being as I am, from the 20th century.

can we convince you to avoid mp3?

Audio System

Just a big old stereo system at home!

1990s components: JVC, Technics, Sony.  dBPlus Canada 880 2-ways.

- And that is fine.  You could perhaps obtain more enjoyment from music if you got better equipment.

OTOH, it is quite possible that some music or passages will not sound different on any gear in mp3 vs. whatever.  The mp3 format was designed to minimize differences while fitting into a small file, by adroit use of psycho-acoustics.

The real question, of course, is who put the  psycho in  psycho-acoustics??

Point is to NEVER get familiar with sonic faults or ANY sort of listening training.

Then it is easier to save money.

---

OP it is fine if you don't want to change your equipment.  But recognize you are leaving a fair amount of SQ improvement on the table.  Up to you.

Unless you just want to troll people.

1 minute ago, The_K-Man said:

And I possess at least some of "the knowledge to assemble a setup that has all the right attributes":

- Speakers positioned equidistant from listening sofa or area.

- Proper left & right orientation of all speakers, and wiring of input sources.

- No frayed wires, cables, or torn or damaged speaker cones or other elements.

- Speakers used are within specified impedance and power output range of amp or receiver connected to.

- Speaker wire gauge employed is more than sufficient given distance between amp/receiver and said speakers.

- Physical playback sources(CDs, LPs, cassettes) are cleaned properly before playing.

- Turntable tonearm height, counterweight(tracking force), and antiskate are properly set.  Turntable itself is leveled, front to rear and from side to side.

- Everything is plugged into receptacle on same electrical branch, using same, and not mulitple, grounds.

So what MORE need I do to bring my system up to Holy Roman Audiophile Empire standards??!

If you want advice, post an Upgrade my System type thread.

For a quick answer, start with new speakers - or don't.

26 minutes ago, accwai said:

So how exactly does a racing driver go about extracting best handling and fastest lap time from the car? Always wondered about it but afraid to ask...

gotta be smooth

BTW, it appears you have 86'd your former avatar