IGNORED

CD players are back ?

On 1/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, ajay556 said:

CD transports/player are making a come back? Kalista, CEC, hegel cd players have the lowest jitter noise ratio ever seen in digital playback system.  

Since this is a Audiophilestyle forum  now - other sources are not taboo anymore. Keep in mind computer was never designed to play high-end audio - Till today it's more of a convenience - dollar to dollar vinyl and CD player have better sound quality. Just take a peak in japan, France, Korea etc...they are hard core audiophiles and they are still buying CD players and of course turntables.

7 hours ago, ajay556 said:

This is my point from the review...thats it

In an era of streaming network-attached digital music sources you might think the time for listening to music as played from spinning silver discs is past, but that isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, if you have read between the lines of commentary from many of our reviewers you might have noticed a quiet trend; namely, a softly spoken preference for the sound quality of music played from discs as compared to the sound of the same music played from network-connected players or servers. It’s hard to say what accounts for this preference, but one explanation may be that top-shelf disc players are able to harvest audio data from discs with very few read errors (and thus minimal intrusion from error detection and correction algorithms) and can likewise present that data in as jitter-free a manner as possible. If that’s the case, then high-quality disc players may still enjoy a worthwhile performance edge vis-à-vis typical streaming solutions, meaning our prized disc collections might in turn have a new lease on life

One should ask at this point is there any data on CD player sales or other indicators that reflect an increase prevalence of CD players? Like vinyl I don't think they have ever been gone.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Looks like I may have grabbed the wrong review .:$ I will need to check what model it was with my friend .

This was some years ago, and the only thing I remember was him removing the disc and it continuing to play, and someone else present wanting to buy it from him.

Perhaps Audiophile Neuroscience can remember more about it ?

38 minutes ago, sandyk said:

P.S.

It could very well have been a Transport and a DAC , as back them I had only recently had spinal surgery and was unable to get up close and personal with the gear being used.

IIRC it was just the transport which we heard playing into a non PS Audio DAC. The consensus was it was no better than my standard laptop. Dave did some mods ( no idea what) and in a second meeting all of us (5 or 6) felt it was better than my laptop transport. Dennis subsequently had it on long term 'loan'  and Dave agreed to sell it to him but it never happened.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:
23 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

A different source, and/or different mastering, was likely used for the AAC or high res files.

Where do you think the original source files for most CDs were obtained from ?

There is little doubt that some of the differences are due to different masterings but I agree, not all. There are comparison files available specifically comparing formats of the same recording/mastering.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Disagree with what I'm saying all you want, but what I'm saying is true.

There's a winning argument.

4 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Different masterings make at least ten times the audible difference that different digital formats(Red Book, Wav vs High Res vs lossy MP3) make, unless one has coveted 'Golden Ears'.

I agree that the quality of the recording and mastering trumps format. Some Redbook CD in flac sound stunning to my "Golden Ears"

Sound Minds Mind Sound