IGNORED

Desktop Speakers, Minimum $ - Maximum ​🎵

12 hours ago, Taz777 said:

Indeed. I replaced my KRK Rokit RP5 G3 studio monitors with the Ruark MR1 Mk2 bookshelf/desktop speakers and the latter are a world apart in terms of listening pleasure. They're designed to enjoy music. The Rokits were horrendously fatiguing and (subjectively) harsh to listen to.

My Ruarks are less than 1m away from my ears on my computer desk and sound a lot better to me.

+1 or more for Ruark. Don't have the MR1, but 2 x R1, R2, R4 at various locations through the house. I like the sound from them, far better than Bo$e and in a tighter, compact frame is a plus for small shelves. Out of the four, not one has failed in four years of operation of daily use. 

The Rokit, like many studio monitors, needs to be driven at deafening +110db spl minimum, so perhaps not the most ideal of application near a workstation at home.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

24 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Ruarks don't seem to have much distribution in the US

Your loss. There's no distributor in the United States for Ruark product. Each radio features DAB+ and FM, no AM. The US has a different digital radio standard to Europe, Asia and Pacific regions. Goes to show, nothing much of any standard worldwide related to audio, apart from the RCA connector.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@sphinxsix i still use my cambridge soundworks(Henry Kloss's company from the 1990's) s200 surrounds(dipole/bipole) still sound great you can probably find them on amazon/ebay for very little $$ or for that matter the ensemble's or the model 6's

i still use all of them plus tower ii's and center speaker with the 'passive' subwoofers in a 7.1 system in my living room with s200's 'between' my ears so to speak in front of my hd tv/monitor/mac mini

you could probably get them all for <<<1000$

check it out

bobbmd

It seems I will choose between JBL LSR305, Ruark MR1 Mk2, Audioengine A2+ and  KRK RP5 (or 6) G3 (that is unless some other interesting proposals appear here). I'll try to find some more reviews of these first but IME it's easier to find a trustworthy $200k speakers reviews than $200 ones :D

Thanks to everyone who contributed up to this point!

That looks to be a very intelligent choice.  Rather a difficult equation making low quality hosted files sound passable without introducing too much coloring or other cheats to hide what is really going on.  

My joke about the effect of a 30' x 100' enclosure with thousands of "ports" drilled into it was just that.  Having a wall of music while you climb is a different type of enjoyable experience.

32 minutes ago, rando said:

That looks to be a very intelligent choice.  Rather a difficult equation making low quality hosted files sound passable without introducing too much coloring or other cheats to hide what is really going on.  

My joke about the effect of a 30' x 100' enclosure with thousands of "ports" drilled into it was just that.  Having a wall of music while you climb is a different type of enjoyable experience.

I  used to climb too some years ago :) I also used to suggest adding some really bad SQ recordings to one's test albums library :

Unfortunately this method doesn't work with really uncompromising systems in case of which you will (should) always hear all the nasty aspects of the source material.