IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Or do you expect any half decent gigabit optical SFP module to perform the same and the USB output quality to be the same?

Often when I see SFP modules and opticalcables it is singlemode 1310nm SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve 9/125 singlemode cable that are recommended. 

I have modules from FS.com and Corning cable waiting for the etherREGEN. Will run optical from my Ubiquiti router to etherREGEN and from that to NUC with Roon ROCK and SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo endpoint. 

If it really matters what you use I dont know so I went with what I have seen recommended. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
59 minutes ago, mozes said:

Can someone pls explain how we can feed an optical signal to the optical Rendu?

I think this will answer your questions. You can ofcourse use any of the shelf fiber products to feed it. 

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system

On FS.com there are a section regarding the need to atteunate a signal from a LX SFP if the distance is short.

"Generally, multimode systems do not need attenuators as the multimode sources, VCSELs, rarely have enough power output to saturate receivers. Instead, single-mode systems, especially short links, often have too much power and need attenuators."

https://community.fs.com/blog/guideline-for-fixed-fiber-optic-attenuator.html

Main system

Second system
1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Thanks for posting this...very helpful.

No worries.

I started looking at the specs on different SFP modules after @JohnSwenson pointed it out that it might be a problem with LX modules over short distances. I have bought stuff from FS.com and when I look at their SFP modules it seems that LX modules up to 10km distanses have max -3dBm output and max -3dBm input but looking at LX modules with 20km or 40km or higher often have for example max 0dBm or 5dBm output and still max -3dBm input so they relay on losses in the cable and connectors to not overload the input. A attenuator needs to be inserted before the input if the signal is to high.

Using multimode SFP will perhaps be the safer way if you dont know what type to use as that will not cause any problem with short cables in a regulare home situation.

I know there is a thread here on CA either in Lumin section or it might be another thread regarding FMC that there was some talk about what type of SFP and cables to use.

Main system

Second system
6 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

Keep in mind the losses range for monomode fibers:

• 0.4 dB per kilometer
  • 0.4 dB insertion loss (LC-LC)

No losses over shorter cables can be ignored in this case.

So a -3dBm output and 0.4 dB loss in the connectors will set down the signal to -3.4dB and thus it shoud be safe with a -3dBm input.

When I looked at FS.com the SFP modules I have it had a range from -9dBm to -3dBm output how will it lower the output?

Main system

Second system
42 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

LX modules are off the table then:)

All depends on the spec on the SFP module. For example if you compare a SX to a LX module the spec regarding output power is the same.

SFP1G-SX-31 have -9 to -3dBm output and max -3dBm input. 1310nm FP laser transmitter. 1km Reach for 50/125μm. 550m Reach for 62.5/125μm. Operating data rate up to1.25Gbps.

SFP1G-LX-31 have -9 to -3dBm output and max -3dBm input. 1310nm FP laser transmitter. 10km with 9/125 μm SMF. Operating Data Rate up to 1.25Gbps

As I see it in this case the only thing that makes the LX transmit over a longer distance with the same power is the use of single mode fiber.

Main system

Second system
1 minute ago, Arpiben said:

For the values you mentioned no worries at all, in my workplace and most of Telecom centers monomode fibers are used like this.

I sent a email to FS.com regarding the exact SFP model I have to see what they say. If they say it is ok with 2m of cable between them I will use them as they are otherwise I will get attenuators to reduce the power.

Main system

Second system
8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

That is a DIY solution...we are not going to recommend it. 

This might be a bit OT but I got an answer from FS.com. The LX modules they sell that goes up to 10km cable is ok with any length of cable as the output power is lower or equal to the input power.

Main system

Second system
1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Swapping SFP modules could be the new tube rolling 

@Em2016 and @Superdad you only have to search on CA (I mean AS 😊) to find that there have already been tests in Asia I think with Lumin X1 and different SFP and fibercables so the new tuberollin is already here 😁

With SFP modules and cables coming in MM (multimode) and SM (singlemode) and different wavelengths (850, 1310, 1550nm for example) there is alot to test 😉

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Theoretically, and actually in most cases, the VSEL electronics are better but does it make a difference?

Is that comparing MM to SM modules?

I have a couple of SFP 1310nm modules and Corning Clear cable (SMF) waiting for the new etherREGEN 😊

Main system

Second system

I assume @diecaster your question is a follow up to me writning that I wait for the etherREGEN. You dont need a etherREGEN if you have a opticalRendu I have a different layout of my system and needs a switch that connects to my Roon core and Roon endpoint.

Main system

Second system
24 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is not necessarily true.

Perhaps I should have written that it works with other fiber equipment and not that a etherREGEN is not needed. 

I think we will see many combinations in the future with both Sonore and Uptone products.

Main system

Second system
3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes, the Finisars are awesome (I use) — they are OEM for Intel (as well as Avago)

I asume they are SFP+ modules as they support both 1G and 10G and if am not mistaken the products from @vortecjrand @Superdad are regular SFP ports so only 1G modules can be used.

Main system

Second system
20 minutes ago, jabbr said:

SFP+ modules/slots are backwards compatible with SFP

I know that but the spec sheet from Finisar have this written in it.

"This product is for applications specifically designed for 10G SFP+ ports and 1G/10G SFP+ ports and not 
native 1G SFP ports."

Main system

Second system
10 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

Extra's? what might they be?

You will need SFP module, fiber cable and other equipment (router, switch or fiberconverter) with fiber connection to supply it.

Main system

Second system
5 minutes ago, firedog said:

Personally, I still find this somewhat confusing.

Perhaps a look at this will sort some things out.

The optical module is a FMC and you will need two SFP modules in each end of a fibercables to connect it to a opticalRendu. 

I am shore when everything is ready @vortecjr will sell kits with all you need to get it together. 

As there are many different SFP modules to put in fmc, routers, switches it is not easy to say how one should connect everything as it depends on what hardware you choose so they work together. 

Main system

Second system
1 hour ago, firedog said:

yes, but for instance what doesn't that show?:

I suppose that shows how you can convert your existinng system with for say a microRendu to have a opticalRendu instead with fiber connection.

An example would be an existing setup that is NAS>conventional (non optic switch/router)>standard network renderer (or rendu)>DAC.

Then you would take the LAN cable that goes to your renderer and plug that in to a FMC (fibermediaconverter as a Sonore opticalmodule for example) plug and SFP (small form-factor pluggable) module into it ,run your fibercable to a second FMC (with the same sort of SFP module) and from that FMC you run a ethernet cable to your renderer.

But to me this is lots of stuff that can be implemented in a switch with SFP port and run the cable directly to a opticalRendu.

Another thing that isn't clear (at least to me) from the above chart: what does "existing optical ethernet" mean? Just a switch with an SFP module? Or something else.

If you already have a fiber cable to your equipment comming from a switch with fiberoutput for example you can use that directly to an opticalrendu or a use a opticalmodule to get ordinary ethernet to a renderer.

I'm really not trying to make this complicated. What some of you don't seem to get is that lots of people have zero experience with optical in any form and don't understand what's involved.  You can't assume everyone understands what an FMC or an SFP are and what needs to be connected to what.

I do get that all people dont know how to build a optical network and knows what an FMC or a SFP is but it aint that hard to find information on the internet what FMC or SFP means or wait untill the products a on the market to get the correct information from Sonore how to connect it.

Dont get me wrong here but it is hard to explain to all so everyone understands and it is all dependable on how "your" system is built how you can connect it in the best way with these new fiber products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_media_converter

Main system

Second system