IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

• 4 months later...

Sharing some further experience.

I have recently sold my Taiko modified T+A DAC8 DSD which I pitted favourably (when the T+A was fed DSD from HQPlayer) against the Tambaqui.  

Reason for the sale?  I have managed to work some magic on a Chord qutest through multiple stages of filtering so that IMO the qutest now sounds better than the T+A and the Tambaqui (please note that I am still awaiting a good passive volume control to go with this, and your source needs to be as good as one of @Nenon server builds to achieve this).

I think the comment @ray-dude made - don't let anything get in the way of Chord DAC's otherwise the magic is gone.  This is 100% true.

First config:

JCAT USB XE (Powered by Teddy Pardo) -> Sablon USB -> qutest.  Nothing really amazing to write home about, sounds very good, but I wouldn't part with the T+A based on this as it is a few steps behind and it sounds like a £1000 DAC.

My present configuration that resulted in the sale of the T+A is:

JCAT USB XE (Powered by Teddy Pardo, 5v @ 3A  - qutest set to 2v output so as not to overload)

1st USB port: Sablon USB -> Matrix Audio x-spdif 2 -> Altas Mavros Optical -> qutest

2nd USB port: 5v power to the qutest via micro-usb cable

Thanks to Ray-Dude for the recommendation of the x-spdif 2.

This configuration is really stunning - but it all has to be top class gear otherwise the magic is lost (the only compromise that can be made is the toslink cable - a cheaper glass one would probably be fine).

But think about it, you've got a very good linear power supply, then feeding the JCAT which has a further set of LT3045 linear regulators - so effectively the x-spdif 2 and the qutest are now receiving double regulated power which everyone talks about in such high regard.

The x-spdif 2 then has further filtering inside it and it also has good clocks.

The optical cable also removes any emi/rf from getting into the DAC.

These are the same tricks that people are doing with multiple network switches.  In the above case we're getting double regulation and double clocking.

How does it sound - noticeably more lifelike and dynamic than the T+A and with more detail retrieval.  Tonal quality is superb.  I also prefer it over the Mola Mola and definately over the DAVE in stock form.  I never thought I would say that. 

Would be interesting to try a TT2 or DAVE with this config.  Next step is a pink faun spdif card so if if this can replace/match/beat the aforementioned chain.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, galanakop said:

The mola mola Tambaqui together with the ATC SCA2 –Pre-Amplifier Will be my main sources for my new atc SCM100ASLT.
What is your opinion ???

I don’t have a huge amount of experience with preamplifiers, however now that I have moved over to a Hugo TT2 I find that any form of preamp between it and the amplifier smears over detail.  This is not something I’ve noticed before with lesser DACs as they just weren’t that resolving.  I no longer have the Mola Mola to check this out, but I believe that using the DAC to directly drive your amplifier would be best… also cheaper.  Try before you buy.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, fds said:

Not possibility to connect any external power supply to my understanding. Indeed, I think such a possiblity would be very welcome. Note sure whether some after-market solution will become available for the Tambaqui, i.e., something equivalent to the Sean Jacobs DC4 PSU upgrade for the Chord DAVE.

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS to the DAVE is amazing, best DAC I've heard so far.  It is significantly beyond the TT2 and I also believe the Tambaqui.  As I have written before I didn't much care for the DAVE in stock form.  As others will have experienced when adding LPS on other equipment, the DC4 effects the DACs entire performance for the better.  I experienced a similar uplift adding linear to a qutest, but the DAVE and DC4 combination is dramatic. 

Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) should be with me in 2-4 weeks.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, HH_miller said:

I am feeding the Tambaqui with AES reclocked by 2 Mutec MC-3+ and a Ref10 120 as master clock. I have had great results with reclocking over the years, nevertheless a capable DAC is what made the big difference for me. I did not try many but went from chip based via R2R now to pulse width modulation. Even though I agree that implementation does make a big difference the core technology made a bigger, ymmv.

Interesting - why two Mutec MC-3+?  Are you daisy chaining them?

I didn’t get on with Holo Audio May - whilst the soundstage was nice and large… imaging was nebulous 👎

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, ted_b said:

Well, the Mola Mola Tambaqui arrived yesterday for a 4 day demo.  I plugged it in, downloaded the iphone app, got it set up to see the network, configured Roon to see it directly (it is a certified Roon endpoint) and voila.

I let it play music for a few hours before going down there last night and listening on night one (1).  The results?  Well, I'm trying to figure out how, eventually, I can afford this thing!!  I've never heard such impeccable timing, ease and tonality.  And in my LAN setup it doesn't require a fancy USB cable, doesn't require a hefty HQPlayer server (I have not tested it with HQP via USB yet, see below), nothing.  It makes Roon sound like the best source money can buy.  The lack of fatigue is palpable.  I wish all this weren't the case.  :)

So...just now I hooked it up in the same setup as my May, that is, via HQplayer (USB from Fitlet2 NAA with Mola Mola linux driver showing up in HQP settings, and max sample rate lowered, compared to May, to Tambaqui's max input spec of 384k, DSD256).  The source of the music is same, Roon core NUC.  I will also test with local HQP server files, too (NVME SSD drive), instead of from Roon core NUC.  It is easy to switch Tambaqui inputs from my iphone app.  I'll spend the late evening doing this comparison.

I will get over my giddiness and listen again tonight.  It's really quite something, in that it is not head and shoulders above the Holo May, it's just better at everything....and sounds like the last of any digital artifacts are just vanished.  As we've discussed before, I will probably be able to tell its impact best when I swap back out and listen to the Holo May.  I'm praying it hasn't ruined me.  :)

Stay tuned.

Your impression exactly matches mine when I had one on demo - it’s a great but expensive piece of equipment.  Holo audio May didn’t stay in my system for very long before it got sold on.