IGNORED

Measurements & Sound Quality

Ralf11

Which aspects of or factors in sound quality have no measurements that correspond to them?

Either cases where the measurements have not yet been made, or cases where the measurements cannot be made...

counter example: frequency response

possible example: "sense of space" or "real instruments playing in real space"

No, I'm not.  I do have an interest in sensory physiology however.  There are 2 guys on here who would be closest to that, but I will let them drop by and post if they want.

A further complication is that sensory- or neuro-physiology of the auditory system quickly get you involved in cognitive issues, so then you need a cognitive psychologist.

Ultimately, it is all about fizziology anyway...

2 examples of euphonic distortions:

1. slight fall in SPL vs. freq. sounds better to most listeners based on tests by JBL, et al.

2. even order distortion in amp stages (tho it is not clear to me that this has been rigorously tested, nor that it sounds better than no distortion at all)

I agree we don't want a too warm sound - just slightly warm - say, a recent model Audio Research tube pre-amp, but not a really old CJ ultra-toaster warm pre-amp.

I also agree with @jabbr 's points.  And I see DSP in the speakers/room as providing that, or close to it.

As for deliberately distorted sound, I deleted Lou Reed's metal Machine Music album as it was just too dissonant, not to mention annoying.  I am also waiting for @gmgraves to get the wah-wah pedal tuned just right for his rap album.

8 hours ago, jabbr said:

...until we understand what is not adequately reproduced, then we cannot measure the difference between any actual system and an ideal reproduction system — the failing is not in the ability to measure but knowing what to measure.

I have a voltmeter - what should I measure?

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Good point, particularly if you are measuring hot vs cool jazz as well as syncopation ;)

charm, color and spin are the really hard things to measure - not to mention that big scalar value that's like... all over, man

and lest anyone think that doesn't matter for music... I refer them to Francis Vincent Zappa and The One Big Note

On 12/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, Ralf11 said:

Which aspects of or factors in sound quality have no measurements that correspond to them?

Either cases where the measurements have not yet been made, or cases where the measurements cannot be made...

counter example: frequency response

possible example: "sense of space" or "real instruments playing in real space"

Yes, tho I phrased the question in the opposite way...

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, everything that makes or breaks an audio rig's sound is electrical

No.  In fact, the most important problems are mechanical, not electrical.  Dome breakup, friction, pistonic movement, diffraction, etc. all related to speakers.  Then there are the problems at the other end of the chain - again transducers.

Yes, we can easily measure nV - I can even carry a very accurate data logger capable of that in a backpack and ski it deep into the mountains (or get grad. students to do so, more recently).

The problem is more complicated than that however, and involves a lot of psycho-acoustics, besides sample rates and acoustics...

Of course, no measurements or studies will ever convince the anti-vaxer like contingent...

Ah ok.  I continue to wonder about the audibility of sharp transients...

All the old freq. response of the human ear research was done on sinusoidal waves, usually(?) a single freq. at a time.  we know that sensory systems in general are xlnt at comparisons, "edge detectors" type stuff for touch, visual, etc.  And not so good at absolute measurements.

So...

A neurophysiologist might profitably explore this area.