IGNORED

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison - FINAL

35 minutes ago, manisandher said:

1412041131_SampleAvs.SampleB.thumb.jpg.9407682f81fbd87801023e4139347058.jpg

Interestingly, between 16-21 kHz, Sample A has more energy than Sample B. At 21 kHz, the difference is ~4dB. This may account for some of the comments, such as:

On 10/27/2018 at 5:04 AM, PeterSt said:

A.

Sounds much clearer which is readily noticeable on the guitar. Lively.

There's more vibrato in the bass (cello ?) audible.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

9 hours ago, Miska said:

To me it sounds strange if original format sounds worse than the down-conversion...

I wasn't implying that in all the comparisons I've made, redbook is better than the equivalent hires. In most cases I find it much of a muchness.

The only cases where the originals obviously sound better than the redbooks to me are some of the 2L DXDs. I suspect you share the same experience.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Certainly, there are many cases where there is no discernible improvement with hi-res over CD.

Rajiv, this is really my point.

I've been comparing, and I can provide you with the 16/44.1 and 24/96 versions of a couple of tracks where to my ears the hi-res is clearly better. If you want to give it a listen, I'd love to have you do so.

Definitely interested. If you could PM with a link, that'd be great.

I'm happy to expose them here too, but you'd know the sample rates. I can hear the cries of "expectation bias" already.

I know expectation bias is real, but I reckon it's massively over-rated in some situations. There have been many occasions where I've wanted something to sound great, but it just doesn't, so I don't use it. All my hyper-expensive cables (bought when I was younger and more care- and child-free) sit in boxes in my cellar. My gorgeous-looking SET amps sit boxed up in my cellar. I sold my Pacific Microsonics Model Two because it didn't sound as good as my current DAC, costing a fraction of its price. Etc., etc.

Look forward to taking a listen to the tracks you mentioned.

Mani.

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

PM sent.

Thanks Rajiv. Will share my thoughts here in a short while.

Mani.

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

But isn't it wrong to mix 24/96 and 16/44? It should be 24/88 and 16/44, to avoid algorithm interpolation.

Just to be clear, I didn't choose these tracks - @austinpop suggested that I take a listen to them, which I did.

The original 'apples-to-apples' thread used a 24/88.2 hires and a 24/44.1 MQA decoded to 24/88.2 (I'll add the 16/44.1 when I can get around to it):

For me, it's still one of the most insightful comparisons.

Mani.

4 minutes ago, clipper said:

Maybe it's your DAC.

There is no 'higher end' DAC than the Phasure NOS1... IMHO of course ?.

Mani.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

We hear what we hear!

100%.

Mani.

20 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

were the software and its setting the same??

The 2 outputs from the software were captured digitally and proven to be bit-identical.

Mani.

41 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

... I found the music deeply boring.

10 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Exactly.  Good music, no matter how well recorded will always sound better than well recorded boring music.

FWIW, I like the music in all 3 'apples-to-apples' threads ?.

Mani.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hmm, I have to analyze my recent tendency to talk in yoda-like sentences. :D

"My recent tendency to talk in Yoda-like sentences to analyze I have." Surely?

Mani.