IGNORED

Soundstage Width cannot extend beyond speakers

STC

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I would find it easy to achieve your standard of playback by not being fussy enough - but I'm not interested in compromising ...

Said the man who is currently listening to music on his laptop's internal speakers...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

which is why so much audio playback is so depressingly unsatisfying to listen to

So why are most people here happy with their systems?

I find that even budget audio equipment these days provides a highly satisfying listening experience.

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Madness is that you keep trying to convince audiophiles that their systems can sound better. THEY ALREADY KNOW THIS. Goal accomplished. You can stop posting on the subject.

He's gone beyond this. He's now telling us that our systems suck.

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Are you too afraid to even attempt to see if you can hear differences in areas such as MQA, AND report back your findings which if not thoroughly tested could degrade the SQ of audio for future generations if their claims aren't fully investigated, and NOT just using test equipment ? :P

On 10/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, kumakuma said:

Sample A = 24/44.1

Sample B = MQA

Sample C = 16/44.1

17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Meaning I could play any of my 'difficult' recordings on them, and they would be happy with what it sounded like?

<car analogy alert!>

Even the cheapest modern vehicle does an admirable job of making the journey pleasant on a reasonable road. So what happens when the road is 'tricky', and you start driving aggressively? Does it "hold together", or do the limitations of the engineering, built to a price, become obvious?

I put snow tires on my car in winter. I take them off when they are no longer needed.

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

No. But if you use your system to tell you whether a purchased recording is "brilliant!"; or should be consigned to the rubbish bin - then there's something that may be gained if you take more note of what I'm saying ...

I fail to see how your methods will help my car run well on low quality gas.

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

To "generalise", :), a convincing rig can handle every recording thrown at it - I have never had a setup which at a particular time was so capable; but, have reached peaks of SQ at moments which have demonstrated what's possible - the recordings which 'fail' at the current moment are the "test instruments" which show where work still needs to be done.

So essentially you are asking us to go with you on a journey to a place you've only seen from afar. 

I now know for sure that I can disregard anything you say.

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Sometimes, you people amaze me! If I say every recording always sound excellent, on every rig I've worked on, then you would say I'm full of it, and rightly so. If I tell it like it is, that the real world is never always perfect, because things "always get in the way" - then I have nothing of value ... hoo, boy!!

The problem here is the one holding the steering wheel, not the other drivers on the road.