IGNORED

Putting Tidal in Perspective

3 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

One of my neighbors is a 22 year old female college student. She is a music lover (mostly top 40 pop) and she

also plays piano and violin,. She and her boyfriend share a family plan subscription to Apple Music.

She LOVES it. She also has been on Spotify

I asked her how Apple Music compared to Tidal.

Answer: "Tidal? Never heard of it..."

I mentioned Jay-Z as part owner..still no familiarity.

So a little perspective. I think Tidal in the end is a VERY small player in streaming.

Playing piano and violin may help to balance it out, but I'm not entirely sure that someone into top 40 pop qualifies as a "music" lover. Any more than someone who enjoys cartoons is an art lover!

JC

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

The other alternative to Tidal everyone forgets about is Deeer, which also has a lossless tier; it has quite a good interface, too. 

I believe the concern with Deezer is that it's losless library is quite small. Here is a quote from PC Mag's review, which was very positive about the interface and sound (saying the sound was comparable to Tidal)

"Like Tidal, Deezer delivers CD-quality, lossless FLAC streams via its $19.99 HiFi plan. You get 16-bit, 1,411Kbps audio, but with a somewhat smaller music catalog; the HiFi library has 36 million songs, while the other plans' libraries have 53 million songs."

And is it financially healthy or also in danger of going under from not turning a profit?

JC

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have always wanted a personal letter from Apple so here goes...

Perhaps what TIDAL should do is undertake a media blitz to explain how Apple is stealing music from consumers by compressing it, which takes away musical information that is gone forever, never ever to be found again.  But here at TIDAL, we stream the FULL quality signal for the same money!

TIDAL, if you use this idea I am not at fault if you get sued, but I want some of the profits if it works!

?

Well done Doc, I couldn't have said it better myself!

JC

9 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I’m curious what your definition of a “music lover” is? 

Well, to be fair, I was only half serious in my comments. Though, people who are limited to enjoyment of "Top 40" music, especially given how pathetic that generally has been, over the past couple decades, do raise some questions. And I mean this as far more of a condemnation of Top 40 music, than I do those people involved in listening to it.  My nieces (now in their mid-late twenties) both fill the bill, and I've never been able to consider them true "music lovers". I suppose I felt I was in the right area when I referred to someone who only listened to "Top 40" as akin to someone who only reads comics or magazines and has never actually read a book. Would they be considered people who love literature?

In another light, I do not think anyone who drove, and loved their Chevy Spark or Toyota Corolla would be viewed a "car aficianado". 

I think to be truly considered a music lover, there needs to be some width and breadth and depth to what you listen to. Granted, its not as simple as saying, well, you must listen to, and enjoy, classical, or jazz, or whatever,  because that's not true. I do, however, think you need to have some significant variation, substance and depth to what you find compelling in music to be considered a true music lover.

JC

9 minutes ago, buonassi said:

And even if they did, they probably just don't care enough about the best sound possible. Good enough is good enough for some people. If it doesnt distort when played loudly, has tight bass and sounds crisp and clear, that's the recipe sure to impress the non audiophile. 

It's a great deal like fast food. The masses are constantly exposed to it, eat it regularly and feel that it represents actual, enjoyable food.

JC 

13 hours ago, Blake said:

i use Tidal and I enjoy it very much.  I tried Qobuz a while back using the USA work around and I was not impressed with the music catalogue, as the focus was not on the music I like.  However I can see how classical/jazz lovers would prefer it.

That is EXACTLY my concern despite other people here on CA telling me I am wrong. Too many people have otherwise told me that the Qobuz library is heavily oriented to classical and jazz. Thats not what I listen to either, and why I am terrified at the thought that Tidal could go under. It represents such a huge portion of my listening that it would be crushing to lose it!

JC