IGNORED

Ambient, Psybient, Psydub, not Goa and what more not

PeterSt

12 hours ago, shoom said:

https://binged.it/2x7OsRQ

Found this on the music forum a while back.

Thank you, @shoom

This is/was a bit difficult to find, but if the artist is Klockworks, I found a few EP's (and EP's only). Will listen to them later !

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 9/10/2018 at 2:14 AM, fas42 said:

I'll throw in one effort, locally made ... ^_^

On 9/10/2018 at 4:59 AM, PeterSt said:

But I think I can already see that this will fail on the rhythm machine; this makes it explicit electronic music which to me is less of the music itself. It is also too much towards the "house" kind (the rhythm machine makes it that).

Back to this one again and how I fell in my own pitfall ...

I obtained this one too (The Web - Spirit of The Land) and while I called them a bunch of crazies without rhythm machine from a later album I obtained day before yesterday, I never tried thus one. I now did so yesterday.

Rhythm machine ? I knew I had written about that, but although very far I maybe could still here something like it when now listening though the main system instead of PC"s headphones, it now just is great stuff. Weird and special, but nothing like "let's reject this because they use a drum computer". Still it sounds all over that from this YouTube and it wouldn't come to my mind obtaining it and listen to it in full.

This kickin' kookas is the 4th track of the 5 track album/EP and I recall the 3rd track (yulara) to be the best.

And oh, while I played the whole album, I never ever would have guessed that this YouTube was track 4. I only see that afterwards, now. Anyway, so this is how we can-not use a mediocre system (like my way under par PC+headphones) to judge this kind of music. I fell in my own pitfall (it is the kind of sub title to this thread).

Thank you Frank.

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 9/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, copy_of_a said:

Hey @copy_of_a, although it will be a massive untertaking to sort there all out from Tidal, meaning : I won't just be buying these all from these links, I like to massively thank you for this probably massive amount of work you already put into this by putting it all up. And if you had the links saved in a document already, well, I still must thank you for it.

I listened to a few by means of the "play" button which comes along with many and they all seem to be the thing. This can also be seen from the style indications like these :

Copy_of_a01.thumb.png.48ce74478a4cd1da61f336a04cb0c3fe.png

See in the left hand pane.

This readily shows the difficulty I / we have with describing what this all is or can be about.

A perhaps difficult question : What is actually the "scene" you are from or in which allows you to have all these references to about everything I never heard of ? I guess you can mention any type of category like a country you're in, an underground something, a general source, or ... name it. The pages you link to already speak, I'd say.

Thanks a lot !

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Thank you, @shoom

This is/was a bit difficult to find, but if the artist is Klockworks, I found a few EP's (and EP's only). Will listen to them later !

Peter

AKA Ben Klock

You should find Klockworks 20 under Ben Klock on Tidal listed as also appears on.

38 minutes ago, shoom said:

AKA Ben Klock

Got it ! Thanks.

38 minutes ago, shoom said:

You should find Klockworks 20 under Ben Klock on Tidal listed as also appears on.

Nah, didn't find that one (can be a rights thing for Netherlands). But it's OK as it is. Will listen tonight.

Thank you once again,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 hours ago, bruny said:

Not sure if this is the type of thing your looking for. Ulrich Schnauss:- From the album Far away trains passing by   

Ha ! Another one I didn't know and to try out. Seems to be too "gemütlich" B|  but I can only know after going through a few albums of him.

Thank you, bruny,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 hours ago, bruny said:

Not sure if this is the type of thing your looking for. Ulrich Schnauss:

Bruny, Heck, it does ! And you know what ? this is the opposite of "not fragile". What I mean is : this is so fragile in the highs (the small ticks and such) that if I'm only 7 degrees off axis of my horn speakers (like where I am typing this) that fragile "rendering to my ears" is hardly there, while it is just all about that. So :

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Seems to be too "gemütlich"

No, or Yes. It is, but it is all so well thought through hence consistent (mind that fragility) that it actually works perfectly. No real drums I think (listening to the Tomorrow is another Day album right now), but it doesn't disturb (like Autobahn does not have that, and that I referred to as "not fragile").

A great win, I say.

XXHighEnd (developer)

On September 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM, PeterSt said:

If you are not fed up with it ... how many of the bells (like in tolling bells) can you hear throughout the track ? Thus hits of the bell, I mean.

Btw, I counted them while listening through speakers, and in a setup which does NOT emphasize the mid, which is quite crucial here (no, it is super crucial, but alas).

Ok, last night listen to mp3 CLOX again & count bell strikes. I count up to 45 until close to track end & many strikes happen together, losing count :( 

Found Clox on BandCamp & decide to buy Pan Pan Electric ‘About Time’ album for lossless (ALAC) files (also got Zero Cult  ‘Art of Harmony’!). (all this on 'home' system, use sneaker net to move music files to 'music' system)

Had to reboot to ‘ordinary’ music system to process new music files into library (plus ones found thru this thread :) ). So want to rate some of new stuff, before Startup (reboot) to ‘quietest’ system again, to hear uncompressed sound in best conditions. Probably tonight & will report back with impressions then. 

Maybe you overlooked this post with some suggestions & comments for you-

54121-ambient-psybient-psydub-not-goa-and-what-more-not

(ps. why post editor not embed CA post? Never give choice like before :( )

On September 11, 2018 at 10:04 PM, PeterSt said:

if I change something already in XXHighEnd settings, would you believe that a track like this can come across as never heard before ? No, you wouldn't believe that.

Now listen to Deep Forest (it's in my list)

1-  Of course I believe you! See plenty of evidence for such things & no reason not trust you here. 

But, Audirvana+ iZotope settings make me crazy now, so XXHighEnd, HQPlayer, and such not for me (even if worked on Mac). Is multiple dependent variables that is problem. Unwanted frustration with endless tweaking, temptation of nirvana, critical listening workload, & usual poor results; like attempt to adjust old color TV (from back) without proper procedure & tools >:(

Sorry, but that is just me, not way I enjoy hobby ^_^

2-  1st ‘Deep Forest’ was 1992 ‘Album of year’ for me :D So significant music for me for long time. I put in ‘Alternative’ genre (like Art of Noise, Delirium, DCD, ETBTG, Enigma, Laika, Portishead, &c.).

Think way I absorb music, SQ is part of pluses & minuses, but not focused on, or preferred above other characteristics that push my ‘Like’ buttons (bass, timbre, phrasing, structure, arrangement, &c.) ;)

1 hour ago, look&listen said:

Unwanted frustration with endless tweaking, temptation of nirvana, critical listening workload, & usual poor results; like attempt to adjust old color TV (from back) without proper procedure & tools >:(

Off topic :

Yes, I recall that. My father went crazy of it as well, as did the engineer we hired to do it for us (for a B&O as I recall). There was a name for the procedure (it was not "calibration"). It went as far as giving that engineer a Santa (Sinterklaas, which is not Christmas Santa) surprise, and it comprised of such a box of 10 or so rows of 3 (?) dials, and when the right combination was dialed in, the box opened and the present came forward. I helped my father making the surprise (at the age of 11 or so) with the battery involved and all the wires.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, look&listen said:

Ok, last night listen to mp3 CLOX again & count bell strikes. I count up to 45 until close to track end & many strikes happen together, losing count :(

Yes, I counted 47 but maybe I made up 2. Maybe it is the reality of the bells which can make the difference, which you mentioned as "bell like" or something of that order, while the bells are fairly real when rendered with sufficient high frequency. Btw, this is also what Vangelis' Blade Runner largely is about - the unsurpassed clarity and loudness of (higher pitched) bells.

& many strikes happen together

Haha, no, not a single bell goes right through the other. That is glass. And the glass occurs more often in the track.

Btw, I am almost sure it is a percussion instrument maybe not comprising of real glass (and if it is a synth all is moot). It's not chimes either, although very similar.

And again, you know your story about the wind chimes, right ? Wasn't that in response to listening to this track ? So you see, - don't tell him - but at some stage Frank is right. In this case though, you did not learn to interpret that as those chimes. But once you do, it won't go away. But Frank should please not interfere with that story again because we know it by know. *My* story works the other way around : have your playback OK (start with ALAC (AIF) as the source instead of MP3) and the cheerful joy of real chimes gives this extra dimension because your brain explicitly does NOT need to work on it and suddenly random wind chime tingling is music in itself. Just because it can happen. The über Audiophile ?

So the 180 degree opposite of Frank's idea, despite he is right with his version just the same.

Currently my system is - as said - not even set up for the emphasis to the frequency involved. I am not claiming that when it would be, I'd hear 59 bells, but I just know that they will be way louder and the most profound of the whole tune when it is. Same with the glass chimes. It just turns the track into a completely different thing.

About bells eh ? Try High Hopes :

This ever back (and stupidly) was my main test track because in the beginning there's this fly. The more seconds into the track the better my Infinity R90 speakers rendered all. At least that's how it was in my mind. This video sadly doesn't start right in the beginning of the track (which on the album melts with the previous track) but my poor headphones show a bit of buzz for a couple of seconds.

My current all-so-super-fine system by now means reaches what my system of back then did with that fly (which if all is right sounds as a real "electric" buzzing fly). Still my system as of now is infinitely better.

All is about where the emphasis on frequency is to be and more over : whether all is in equally balance. I suppose my current system is way more of that, never mind that frequency of the fly buzzing is less. It is, btw, the same as spitting voices - emphasis on the wrong frequency. And oh, that ribbon tweeters will only emphasize such a fly, is another matter (and it is wrong).

Anyway this part summarized : if I listen to this and I wouldn't know about a fly, I hear some odd buzz and maybe I'd recognize it as a fly and all is good. But if I hear this through my main system, I'd turn my head and start looking for an annoying fly. Because now it is a real fly.

And this is also how a Clox track can show you "drive" (what I talked about and you could not see) only because a couple of thousand chimes (individual sounds) are there. Btw, I don't know what they are supposed to do in there - I guess it is up to our imagination. But at least they are not bells, and they do represent CLOCKS. Funny eh ?

tearing it down, it is not about bells but about clocks. But clocks may have bells.

And so ishq & Pan Electric are mad artists.

And how I manage to come up with Pink Floyd's Division bell I don't know, as long as we recognize Time from Dark Side of The Moon. Knowing that and you know the chimes of Clox is about clocks. The bells are another subject.

Blahblahblah

:ph34r:

BZZzzzzz

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 hours ago, look&listen said:

Maybe you overlooked this post with some suggestions & comments for you-

54121-ambient-psybient-psydub-not-goa-and-what-more-not

(ps. why post editor not embed CA post? Never give choice like before :( )

Embed (done with the quote link at the bottom) :

On 9/11/2018 at 9:46 PM, look&listen said:

For Tycho, suggest ‘Sunrise Projector’ track (in my Best playlist - but not for SQ)

Other notes to catchup with misc. artists, tracks-

Find Thievery Corporation promising but boring :(  Only 1 favorite (Lebanese Blonde) from 3+ albums. But live video via @rando is better (often heard difference of studio vs. live!)

The Cineamatic Orchestra - ‘All That You Give” in one of my ‘Demo’ lists (well known tracks for SQ evaluation), so start to see your SQ orientation in choices (Burnout). I sense a ’sparkily’ quality to this music/sound.  Overall quality of instrument sound (synth, electric, acoustic), reasonable, if not natural, soundstage, like that. Getting close?

Suggest African Head Charge - ‘Dinosaur’s Lament’ (SQ for Peter!) (bass like bursts of living wind, delicious floating shifting jangly metal things) deep & sparkly  :P

FYI, Everything But the Girl (ETBTG) - ‘Like the Deserts Miss the Rain’ album all favorite remixes chosen by band, heavy electronic components to fine (Alternative) songs (a few instrumentals). one of my 'Albums of Year'!

Still sampling some new things, but time to slow down some? o.O

I looked at that, but too much to dive into. Or not easy enough to quickly try.

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 9/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, shoom said:

https://binged.it/2x7OsRQ

Found this on the music forum a while back.

I tried the EPs I found from Ben Clock, but no ... This is too much of nothing much for me. :P

The track from the link seems OK though (could not find an album with that track).

XXHighEnd (developer)

The Peter Kruder stuff seems great. This is especially about the SQ but also about the compositions. Not really the "ambient" style, but I don't care much. Great work(s). And still saving the Pink Floyd mix-up for a spare hour ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 9/13/2018 at 4:54 AM, PeterSt said:

Hey @copy_of_a, although it will be a massive untertaking to sort there all out from Tidal, meaning : I won't just be buying these all from these links, I like to massively thank you for this probably massive amount of work you already put into this by putting it all up. And if you had the links saved in a document already, well, I still must thank you for it.

I listened to a few by means of the "play" button which comes along with many and they all seem to be the thing. This can also be seen from the style indications like these :

Copy_of_a01.thumb.png.48ce74478a4cd1da61f336a04cb0c3fe.png

See in the left hand pane.

This readily shows the difficulty I / we have with describing what this all is or can be about.

A perhaps difficult question : What is actually the "scene" you are from or in which allows you to have all these references to about everything I never heard of ? I guess you can mention any type of category like a country you're in, an underground something, a general source, or ... name it. The pages you link to already speak, I'd say.

Thanks a lot !

Peter

you‘re welcome!

Actually, no … I listen to a wide range of music.

Classical music, pop, rock (from singer songwriter to industrial), electronic (including techno). Also some Jazz.

Since the late 80th I was a big fan of „Art Rock“ - for instance the later works of Talk Talk, Talking Heads, also King Crimson.

And especially Japan and the following solo works of Japans Singer (and Songwriter) David Sylvian. I also followed the solo works and collaborations of the rest of the Japan-Band - Steve Jansen, Richard Barbieri (plays Keybords with Porcupine Tree you‘ve listed in your initial post for some reason), Mick Karn. Well... and since I often am interested in who collaborates with whom over the years my library evolved in different directions (it‘s still pretty small, though). Of course there‘s much more than only these few roots.

Apart from the actual music genre I am often interested in what you could call ‚avantgarde‘ and/or ‚experimental‘ and certainly „minimal art“. However, such terms mostly fall short in many ways of course.

2 milestones in the field you are interested in for me personally:

Rain Tree Crow (1991 / 2003 Remaster - the remaster is great!):

https://www.allmusic.com/album/rain-tree-crow-mw0000263355

https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/rain-tree-crow-rain-tree-crow/5099945721250

David Sylvian & Holger Czukay (1989 / 2018 Remaster):

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/david-sylvian-holger-czukay-plight-and-premonition-flux-and-mutability/

https://www.groenland.com/artist/david-sylvian-holger-czukay/

https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/plight-premonition-flux-mutability-david-sylvian-holger-czukay/dv3vmk651qw1b

Something you certainly also should look into:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/854c2r/tale-of-us-endless-remixes

(I like the remixes much more than the original ‚endless’ album)

... and more towards Techno (still „ambient“) if you are interested:

Kangding Ray:

https://bleep.com/release/1027-kangding-ray-automne-fold

https://bleep.com/release/30332-kangding-ray-or

https://bleep.com/release/49402-kangding-ray-solens-arc

https://bleep.com/release/79574-kangding-ray-hyper-opal-mantis

_

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

Richard Barbieri (plays Keybords with Porcupine Tree you‘ve listed in your initial post for some reason)

Haha, yes, for some reason. These ones :

PorcupineTree01.thumb.png.cc2a102a10665b1c731af12c48c60a5e.png

I fully agree ... at obtaining it I wasn't sure whether it would be dissonant in that list. Btw, dissonant is often an attribute of this "ambient" music. I think track 02 there has it too.

Completely off topic, this is what I bumped into yesterday while searching for Ben Clock :

ClockWork01.thumb.png.95e0f4641bf3b6676bd4fe9990b27c05.png

Clockwork. I personally never heard of it, and the track you see there is "Porcupine Tree" like. In my Demo folder it went, but more "metal" like (not really - more like Rammstein). Which reminds me during this typing ... had to look up this band because the singer sounded so familiar to me. So ...

ehh, from Holland ? OK. I don't know much (not easy to find either but via the album title I got there). Jan Willem Ketelaars ? OK, sang with The Who (Tommy In Concert). Don't know much but at least I recognized the voice.

https://www.clockworkband.net

Some Dutch page describes it ProgRock like Kansas, Rush. Maybe. But then sounding a LOT better.

And oh, Japan, Talk Talk and a few more, I all play them regularly. Talking Heads less and e.g. Duran Duran also less, just because of the IMO not the best SQ. But the former two ... sure ! (The Colour of Spring ahead).

So much more to go off topic, so let me quit that.

Thus back on topic ... wow again. I feel that I am going to "meet" a lot of new artists and albums.

3 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

I obtained both. And both in MQA as well. Don't tell anybody.

More later.

XXHighEnd (developer)

17 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

A bit of feedback about this : Nah, I am sorry. This will be some kind of ambient all right, but it is not music to my ears. It is sounds only. Putting a beat under it doesn't make it music. Also, adding a computer generated beat without recognizable source doesn't make it a remix (I listened to the original first).

And an 11 minute track of distortion only ?

But I tried ! 9_9

XXHighEnd (developer)