IGNORED

Ambient, Psybient, Psydub, not Goa and what more not

PeterSt

some quality electronic music producers listed . im a massive fan of " future garage " genre .

some amazing producers come out of Russia ... really intelligently produced and sounds amazing on a quality system .

try ..

Sibewest 

brimstone 

Bimbotronic

Craset

Manu Shrine ( RIP )

Menual

Pensees

Smokefishe

some others ..

vacant ( uk )

Twisted psykie ( us )

enjoy your music search : )

5 hours ago, mfsoa said:

check out ektoplazm.com for tons of music like this

Yes. I'm afraid I may have mixed Bandcamp with Ektoplazm. Thanks for the correction !

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

7 hours ago, Boomboy said:

some amazing producers come out of Russia ..

Yes, I recognize that. Thank you very much - I will try all of your list !

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, PeterSt said:

More below you will find the list of artists which do the thang for me, and with some basic interest in this type of music, you will recognize at least what it is not. And well, isn't it difficult to describe (apart from just showing the list).

Yes!

Peter, such a big & complex post, with such ambitious goal, to try and communicate a 'quality of music' that resonates positively in your mind! x-D

Since I also am big fan of (my slice of) electronic music & have my particular 'quality of music' resonators (also in lists) I accept challenge to try and get to know yours better. But I think by nature is difficult problem, people are complex, idiosyncratic, with very different experiences, & deep nature of music perception poorly understood (if at all).

1st I point to previous thread with many posts & lists some of my favored electronica artists & other discussion (mostly sub-genres), so we connect more info to this net.

(must confess probably too hard on @jabbr back then :$ )

To your question (quest?) I know maybe 25-30% of the artists listed, plus 10-15% have heard of, but not recall sound, or probably have from many compilation albums (good for discovery, like you). So not yet comfortable at having hint of what tickles your mind. You can see some intersecting artists in my linked lists, if is helpful.

No surprise to me that I know so few of your preferred artists, seems almost characteristic of this genre. Is so easy to make the music now, so many enter and test their creativity, so much music is produced by so many, and no one can know it all. But not to surrender because the journey alone is worthwhile, & there are enough well known artists & albums to have basis for common understanding.

So, I ask if you could choose, maybe couple dozen, specific tracks that best show(sound) the essence of what all other choices represent in your 'ears'.  Maybe some from our intersecting artists, also some unknown to me. Once I have listened to those selections I hope to get closer to the essence of PeterSt's electro 'quality of music' ^_^

I named the general folder where this music is put "Ambient". But hey, ambient as such it is not.

could be called Psybient in general. But it isn't that either.

Down-tempo then. Well, better already, but also not quite.

Goa. Sort of, but just because it is the base of what I am talking about.

Back to ambient ? -. But then again, not -

scratching included (Psytrance Scratch)

Indian instruments because the roots seem always to be there (like Goa is).

(like New Age mweh))

soundscape is outer space here

High level approach by genre maybe not as fruitful as specific examples, but worth a look. All sub genres you list have qualification that they not enough to describe the 'quality' you wish to express, so that is some data, but not enough for me yet. A piece of the puzzle.

I can express my preferred electro 'quality' maybe more specifically in genre ( but also have my exceptions :) ).

Like best - Downtempo, Chill/lounge, Ambient

Good - Trance, Space, Dub, Electro(Jarre, Froese, Schulze, Vangellis, &c.)

Not-so-good - House, Techno, World

Note I use genre names of regular usage & my own interpretation, because no standards exist, and subject can be as divergent as human perversity.

the list comprises of 168 artists but with the notice that it is not always easy to obtain the artists, which often is in a special scene (like Bandcamp is that, and a lot indeed comes from there). What I mean is, a lot is on collection albums, though mixed / produced by gurus in that scene,

Did you type list, or have some automation to help ?

Bandcamp is great! Sourced some music there. Also iTunes (got over aversion to lossy AAC for some single tracks), Discogs (international!), FYE, & local used record/cd stores (big music town!). eBay works too, but not my habit.

Shopping for music is joyous part of hobby (life?)

Enough for now. Thx for great thread  :)

2 hours ago, mrvco said:

and the subtle differences between one to the next is difficult to recognize or even appreciate, making discovery extremely hit or miss in my experience.

Yes. The skill is almost to recognize already in track one that it won't get any better. Also, the label is telling much (most of these labels won't allow the "baddies" in), which is similar to where it can be downloaded from and how the site agrees for it or not. It really is a scene as such.

Having said that, people may think that this is all about bootlegs and such. But no. I'd say that all have a dedication like e.g. Mike Oldfield had to his Tubular Bells. Or Paul Hattink, who is the secret individual behind Hatfield's End. But listen to it; it is orchestra way beyond Mike Oldfield.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

The tweak or whatever applies to everything for the better or equal

That's good because I don't think I've ever listened to the kind of music you like.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, look&listen said:

So, I ask if you could choose, maybe couple dozen, specific tracks that best show(sound) the essence of what all other choices represent in your 'ears'.

All I can do is point to something like the opposite ... do NOT press play yet :

Envision my explicit telling that Clox is about glockenspiel and bells to the most clarity you can imagine.

Also envision that I promise the most "drive" in music possible (think upbeat now) and that it sweeps up and up and up until you burst.

Now press play.

And ? any Clox in there ?

nah ...

Nice sound if you didn't put it too loud because of quite some sub low and for that reason heavy distortion through monitor's speakers or too cheap head phones, but bells ? seriously ?

Now @look&listen, assumed you say "nice sound - I like it but where are the bells ?" (which you can best hear at the end at almost completely diminished fashion) ... now think the so important mid and all what it takes to get it there.

Play this on your main rig, have all settled for that mid (which these days can be about a proper USB cable only) and you hear the most profound Clox throughout. I said profound as in : no further music; only bells. It determines the melody. The bass line you might hear from this YouTube ... worth nothing much.

And the title *is* about those bells. So if they work out, the message of the artist has to come across, right ? If no profound bells it still could be nice to your ears, but the message, like with Classical music, lacks.

This was one example ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

I know you are kidding, but if it had to work like that ... it wouldn't work or do what I intend. In my view there is no DAC for Rock and no DAC for jazz etc. There is also no cable for "Ambient". However, when you have this music right, all will be right.

There are ways to look at this ...

Anyway Jonathan, there is no such thing as a best setting or device etc. for an album or track. The tweak or whatever applies to everything for the better or equal, and if even one for the lesser, it failed. And I am so serious ... you don't want to know.

Of course, so the ideal "sound" is what each person prefers for him or herself. You can select modulators, or filters, or DSP to highlight or enhance certain aspects of the sound. There is no absolute aside from what you individually or collectively prefer. Even when we have live music with e.g. violin or piano, there is always the different acoustics of the hall etc.

In some cases we have performers who "play" an instrument into a synth e.g. vocorder and in live rock, it is very common to place a mic on the output of a tube guitar amp, and then amplify this sound.

So there is a very long tradition of using he modulated sonic signature of the electronics for effect.

-----

Now on the other hand if we are trying to eliminate a certain electromagnetic effect such as RF/EMI, or reduce ringing in the USB receiver, etc, then the answer is not in listening but that is an entirely different issue (and perhaps not relevant for our listening pleasure).

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Anyway Jonathan, there is no such thing as a best setting or device etc. for an album or track. The tweak or whatever applies to everything for the better or equal, and if even one for the lesser, it failed. And I am so serious ... you don't want to know.

Which people fight against, ever so hard ... ^_^. Audiophiles are grimly determined to hang on to the concept that they are the last step in the chain to 'mastering' the sound of their recording treasures, :P.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Of course, so the ideal "sound" is what each person prefers for him or herself. You can select modulators, or filters, or DSP to highlight or enhance certain aspects of the sound. There is no absolute aside from what you individually or collectively prefer. Even when we have live music with e.g. violin or piano, there is always the different acoustics of the hall etc.

In some cases we have performers who "play" an instrument into a synth e.g. vocorder and in live rock, it is very common to place a mic on the output of a tube guitar amp, and then amplify this sound.

So there is a very long tradition of using he modulated sonic signature of the electronics for effect.

Which is all about what goes into the recording ... unless one specifically wants to use a recording to "make a new recording" - which is what the sampling artists are all about - then the goal is to realise what the "sound" on the album is.

If one is going about it in the 'right way' then the uniqueness of what is encoded, for permanence, shines through ever more brightly - if you can still mold, bend the sound to suit your mood, or whatever, very easily ... then it's not in the "right zone" ...

I have no trouble hearing what Peter sees in that Clox track - which I have never heard before ... just through my laptop speakers. Its audio system is pretty decent, has no trouble running at max volume without issues - and I can 'hear' what it would sound like, I can 'translate' the sounds, inside my head, into what competent playback on a "proper rig" would produce in the room.

4 hours ago, look&listen said:

(must confess probably too hard on @jabbr back then :$ )

To your question (quest?) I know maybe 25% of the artists listed, plus 10-15% have heard of, but not recall sound, or probably have from many compilation albums (good for discovery, like you). So not yet comfortable at having hint of what tickles your mind. You can see some intersecting artists in my linked lists, if is helpful.

No surprise to me that I know so few of your preferred artists, seems almost characteristic of this genre. Is so easy to make the music now, so many enter and test their creativity, so much music is produced by so many, and no one can know it all. But not to surrender because the journey alone is worthwhile, & there are enough well known artists & albums to have basis for common understanding

So, I ask if you could choose, maybe couple dozen, specific tracks that best show(sound) the essence of what all other choices represent in your 'ears'.  Maybe some from our intersecting artists, also some unknown to me. Once I have listened to those selections I hope to get closer to the essence of PeterSt's electro 'quality of music' ^_^

Yes, that's what I'd like to see also -- though Peter did discuss some specifics.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'll throw in one effort, locally made ... ^_^

Thank you, Frank. I am getting this in from Tidal for tonight's session. But I think I can already see that this will fail on the rhythm machine; this makes it explicit electronic music which to me is less of the music itself. It is also too much towards the "house" kind (the rhythm machine makes it that).

Usually when one track is like this, the whole album is doomed but one only knows after testing a couple more.

They also have two more albums on Tidal, so I am preparing them too. They are 5 and 8 years newer, so who knows (the guys got old and learned to drum themselves - haha).

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

I can 'hear' what it would sound like, I can 'translate' the sounds, inside my head, into what competent playback on a "proper rig" would produce in the room.

That's the point, your brain determines what you hear, and modulates what you hear despite the soundwaves that enter your ears.

14 minutes ago, jabbr said:

That's the point, your brain determines what you hear, and modulates what you hear despite the soundwaves that enter your ears.

Very true ... but irrespective of the fact that I have heard my own setups for decades, at various levels of optimisation, my brain still can't bypass audible distortions or noise of various types. I may have an excellent idea of what it has the potential to sound like, but I don't actually hear that potential realised - unless, the rig is working at an adequate level. The rational mind can't fill the gaps like the unconscious areas can; in fact, it's extremely irritating, for me, to hear a rig right on the edge of producing convincing sound - but, failing to light the cigar ... :)

Just on the Spirit of the Land clip - the NAD combo even in current trim allowed this album to deliver tremendous 'chutzpah'. The fact that the rhythms are from a "drum machine" doesn't trouble me - the bigger picture qualities of the tracks easily overcame any "shortcomings" there ... I've heard them live, and they use a terrible PA setup to supply all that backing; only in the CD version does one appreciate the creativity of the tracks ... ^_^.