IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

Thank you, guys. And thanks very much Peter for making this innovative cable available. As opposed to some things I’ve tried in the past there is no ambiguity, at least so far, hearing the contributions of the various configurations. Very gratifying.

Steve Z

Oh, and I have to update my signature to reflect the Lush^2 — it’s definitely a keeper!

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

Thank you, Roch. That sounds very intriguing. I appreciate you taking the time to post your impressions.

I had another very, very enjoyable evening listening to music. Still in A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R configuration. Yesterday evening I played a variety of classic rock — Yes’ (The Ladder), Elton John (Madman Across the Water), ZZ Top ( Rhythmeen — note to PeterSt: it must be the recording ‘cuz I don’t hear much bass either), Genesis (A Trick Of The Tail — Squonk is awesome!), most of the Stones’ Undercover album.

Tonight was more jazzy and poppy — Marian Hill, Janelle Monae, Esperanza Spaulding, FKA Twigs, Bishop Briggs, with some Hiromi  Uehara Trio (Move), Duke Ellington (Indigos) and Charles Lloyd (Rabo de Nube) for good measure. Thoroughly absorbing and emotionally captivating.

Something else I’ve noticed about this configuration is common in my experience with other really good components — not only does this cable make me want to play music louder than I usually do because everything sounds so good, it also lets me play music at a lower volume than normal while still retaining life and vibrancy and interest rather than becoming background music. 

Still your description of A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y is very compelling, Roch. You are sorely tempting me to give this a try tomorrow evening!

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

Well, I have to express a somewhat contrary opinion about A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y although it is somewhat preliminary, being based on only one evening’s listening so far. I think it is very good and quite energetic, but to my ears a bit brash compared to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R. I hear a bit more forward presentation and less depth.

However, I’m going to give it a few more days and then switch back to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R again and see if my opinion changes. 

Steve Z

Thanks BigAlMc — interesting and helpful post.

I too am having difficulty deciding which configuration I prefer between A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R and A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y

Last night I had a really enjoyable evening of listening to music regardles which configuration was in play, and after a couple of swaps gave up the audiophile pursuits and settled back to enjoy music. I’m letting it ride now in A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y

My initial thought that this configuration might be a little brash and forward certainly wasn’t in evidence last night, though I still had the nagging feeling that there might be a little less depth of field compared to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R. Still, not enough difference to obsess over. My plan is to leave it like this for at least a week (or until someone makes a compelling statement about another “newest best” configuration), then swap back just to hear if longer familiarity with one configuration heightens the contrast with the other configuration.

Concerning the observation that sometimes the bass is so strong from track to track that it requires touching up the volume a bit, I’m hearing this too. My thought is, unless volume leveling is on (which I never use) this isn’t necessarily a bad thing — I don’t want my USB cable to make everything sound similar when by the very nature of the music I like — which is all over the place — there is a lot of variability inherent.

Steve Z

Question, BigAlMc:

Are you using both Lush^2 in the same configuration before and after your tX-USB Ultra?

Thanks!

Steve Z

Thank you, Alan. If and when I add a tX-USB Ultra I'll have to decide if I go with my original Lush from Zenith to device and Lush^2 from device to DAC or if I buy another Lush^2. If the latter, then that opens up the process of deciding what configuration. But there is no hurry there since I haven't decided if I'll add any USB enhancement devices over what I've tried already. (Not to hi-jack the thread but if you care to drop me a PM I'd love to learn what you hear the tX-USB Ultra bringing to the mix).

I am beginning to suspect that PeterSt is correct about the long break-in time for the Lush^2. Each time I listen I think it's even better than the last time. At first I thought maybe the cable needed 24 hours to settle back in after being disturbed for a configuration change, but now I think it continues to burn-in -- I haven't touched it in four or five days but I think it continues to improve.

Not a bad problem to have at all!

Steve Z

• 4 weeks later...

13 hours ago, John Haines said:

Just 2 questions as to you users of the Lush^2

Many appear to be using it with the Uptone Regen device, (I do own the Amber & the ISO Regens with LPS 1.2)

As the recent seems very much to using with the Regen, & mainly ‘debating’ whether ‘before or after’ is preferred, (with the consensus seeming to be ‘after’ which is of course different as to it’s ‘normal’ position) with apparently some othe cable, (or connector) going ‘to’ the Regen. 

Why are you actually using the Regen?

On any other cable thread such is normally not mentioned. 

But my MAIN question is to anyone using the Lush^2 purely straight to their DAC, no Regen. 

There must surely be a lot of people using the cable in this manner. 

Can comment as to the cable used in this, (more ‘normal’) way??

I’m using the Lush^2 directly to my DAC. Well, more correctly I am using it from Innuos Zenith server directly to a Chord Blu MK II CD player/M-scaler, which in turn feeds my DAC (via dual BNC coax). The Chord Blu Mk II is not a filter or isolation device, nor a reclocker or other auxiliary device. It is a combination CD player and FPGA upsampler. For all intents and purposes it is an extension of my DAC.

If you scan back through this thread and look for my avatar in the upper left corner of my posts, you can read my impressions of the Lush^2 USB cable in various configurations. 

Hope this helps, John.

Steve Z