IGNORED

Mac Mini power supply

Ted - that's helpful info, I'll read the stories and do some testing. I picked up an SSD to pop in to the 2010 mini, but will give it a run without power conditioning. In my current setup it doesn't sound so good (esp compared to current model MBP17 on battery despite great efforts so far) feeding the Model 4. Really hoping I can get it on par (or even better!) so I don't have to mess around with the notebook and launching and optimization rituals.

Best,

Geoff

Silverlight, which SSD are you gonna use? I am curious if anyone has tried the OWC Mercury Extreme SSDs, seem like they have good specs and reviews. I have always had good performance out of OWCs stuff for Macs.

On the Mini and power conditioning... well, hard to imagine these reports being "true". There is a lot of nonsense over at AC as far as I am concerned. Perhaps systems using the Mini with the Tranquility DAC sound better with no power conditioning because the extra RF contamination injects some euphonic high frequency energy that the Tranquility DAC is lacking in (due to its veiled high frequencies).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

that plugging a 2010 Mac Mini into ANY power conditioning creates a poor muddled sonic landscape that Geoff (Silverlight) describes to a tee. Furthermore, Geoff has them plugged into two I think (Tripplite and then Uberbuss). Anyway, ymmmv.

In my case, it improved it (plugged into Tripp Lite only).

@Barrows - I just picked up a 40GB Vertex2 drive from Amazon as a basic system drive. I generally try to run all the apps from a RAM drive, install minimalist OS, prioritize, etc. Just want to prevent a HD from spinning in the box. The Mercury looks interesting.

Here are the power tweaks I've been using for the 2010 mini: Uberbuss, TrippLite (the bigger one), PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Some high quality power cords between these things and to the wall (i.e., PS Audio AC12, Alan Maher quantum reference, etc.; PS Audio Power Punch C7 cable to the mini); large AM Infinity on top of the uberbuss and a couple smaller CBF's over unused outlets; Shakti stone on the Ultimate Outlet, AM Ref II filter and AM Quantum IEC. So a lot going on (which can be good or bad which is why I like to pull things out, put them back in, change their order, etc. - it just takes a long time b/c I like to do extended listening rather than quick A/B only). Basically a hodge podge of random stuff I had around if that wasn't obvious....

Have to be away this weekend, but may bring back my '09 mini with the Bolder linear PSU to do some comparisons so I have a baseline in this particular setup / location / grid.

The 3 platforms I'm playing with: (1) Mac Mini 2010 (config as above, currently with HD) to Model 4 with Amarra and AyreWave latest versions, (2) MBP17 current model (SSD, running on battery only - noticeably worse when plugged in) w/ same DAC/software, and (3) PWD+Bridge using the Mini as the music server. So far option 2 has yielded the best results to my ears with very extended listening sessions, followed by option 3, then option 1 being the more distant laggard. [note: PWD+Bridge has been improved by a decent margin through adding Furutech fuses inside the box and swapping out the IEC inlet to a Furutech gold with QuicksilverGold applied to the slide-on power connectors throughout internally.]

Well had a few minutes to try pulling the power gear out of the way and running the Mini direct without any conditioners (left the C7 power cord in place; the Quantum IEC I left in the circuit as well, and CBF's top/bottom of the Mini, forgot to mention that above). Interestingly the sound did improve :) cleaner, clearer (less of a "cloudy"/muddled sound), however I still hear a bit more edge to the mids and HF's (slightly harsher than the MBP). Perhaps there's an optimal solution in here - will try the TrippLite individually, and the PSA UO individually, etc. will report back.

I launch a UPnP server such as Playback (Yazsoft, my favorite b/c I can use all the itunes-specific tagging of my wave files) or Twonky. I had problems using an external router (it wasn't sending full hi res, capping at 16bit - a bug apparently), so switched to the Mini. Also switched b/c of the ability to not have to re-tag and organize my library (given my preference for WAV files). I shut it off when I'm using the Mini for playback (Amarra, AyreWave, etc.)

I had to look it up. The product description was almost as entertaining as this:

"Today we are going to have a very special AM designs Election Day Vote the Bums out Sale.  For every jackass the American public vote out of office today, AM designs will match the vote by applying ½% off to anything we offer on all sites.  For example…vote 50 jackasses out of office and we will deduct 25% off today’s purchase…all orders will be totaled on Wednesday.  In addition extra percentage points will be applied to specific candidates…For example…a Harry Reid is worth an additional 2% off, whereas a Nancy Pelosi will earn you a cool 5%.  So get out a vote today and throw the bums out on their ass!!!"

Now I know for sure I will never purchase anything from Alan Maher. It is crystal clear to me that he is either an idiot, or entirely not to be trusted (I tend to believe the latter is more likely).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

that AM quote is a little too toxic to touch.... enough said about that. I do like his cheap CBF products, they do have a nice effect. The more expensive stuff, which I have a few pieces, has been a love / hate for me (lots of posts here and elsewhere on user experience, with most in the end including myself finding positive and sometimes surprising results it seems, but not always a fun ride trying to get it optimized or during the break-in period). Off topic for this thread so will try to avoid the voodoo tangent :)

@Kana - they're very close and slightly different presentation. I've been trying to get the PWD/Bridge to it's best level before drawing long-term comparisons. I would also slightly re-frame the question to which do I prefer rather than which one is better as it's both subjective and system-dependent. Power makes such a difference, and been making tweaks in this area to try to help the PWD. To MH's credit, they've done a nice power implementation and I've found it to be more consistent when I've moved the box around and used different tweaks/conditioners/cables/PSU's in front of it. On the margin, as they're currently setup, the Model 4 to my ears (connected with the same model interconnects) has a slightly more natural/analog sound and more soundstage details/cues/separation. After the fuse/IEC inlet/QSG tweaks to the PWD box, they're very close and with a lot of redbook material they can be hard to differentiate on fast A/B switches (when running the same material simultaneously). Some may prefer the filter options of the PWD on redbook which can sound great (min phase apodizing). Of course you can't beat the ease of use of the PWD/Bridge - just grab your ipod/ipad and go, a really nice feature (with a headless Mini left on all the time as well as the Model 4, the same thing can be achieved, just more things to be done with the Mac to get the best out of it, both at the HW and SF level). Would love to hear a DAC 202 at some point as well, but both these DAC's are putting out such great sound that on the margin I'd rather be optimizing the rest of the system first.

"Alan is a bit ... interesting

But his products are even more so."

Yes, he is, and yes, so are his products.

His AC conditioning gear was a godsend for my system.

Personally, in all my interactions with Alan, I've found him to be entirely trustworthy. For example, I've been advised by Alan NOT to buy a piece of gear for which I'd placed an order.

The audiophile manufacturers I feel can't be trusted are those who overtly over-hype their products. It's these companies that I'm unlikely to purchase products from.

To each his own,

clay

Mahalo for the feedback.

If you installed a filtered IEC in the PWD, I suggest you remove it

and try the unfiltered version.

Using RFI/EMI probes I've done some clean up work on my PWD,

along with a AC line filter.

Having heard the DAC 202, I"m very happy with the PWD/Bridge

performance with the Netgear Router....no PC/Mac required.;-)

Hi Mintzar

I am thinking of using a mini Mac as a music server and came across this tread for your power supply, is it compatible if the 2010 model?Iam not sure what previous one's looked like but this has that detachable two prong power cable, any chance of getting some pic of the finish product?

Thanks Kel

krose

Hey Kel,

I just responded to your PM, but I figured I'd post here as well.

Unfortunately the current supply is NOT compatible with the 2010 Mac Mini. The 2010 MM has an internal switchmode power supply and that would require some heavier modification to the chassis. I'll have to look at the connector, but I can very likely make a Mojo Audio power cord for the Mac Mini that would likely be of GREAT benefit.

If you haven't purchased a Mac Mini yet, then I'd look for a 2009 Mac Mini on Ebay. The '09 mac mini with my power supply is CONSIDERABLY better than the 2010 Mac Mini.

I did a demo for a gentleman last weekend comparing the 2010 Mini to an '09 mini with my low-end power supply and it wasn't even a contest. He was using the Tranquility DAC, which I don't especially care for to begin with, but it was a night and day difference between the two.

I should be finished doing R&D on my high-end supply in the next few weeks. It will have 105KuF of capacitance using 4-pole capacitors, compared to the current supply which is single ended and uses only 20KuF of capacitance. Overkill? Yes. But MAN does it sound good. I'd say this power supply makes the Mac Mini competitive or better than just about ANY front end on the market regardless of price. Granted, it's expensive to build so I won't be building many of them. That being said, this supply is compatible with just about any DAC or front end so it can be added to a Metric Halo DAC or other unit that has an external power supply. My supply made a huge difference in Earflappin's system, I'm sure he'll post a comment or two in the coming weeks about a few of the tweaks I've helped him with once he gets better acquainted with them.

Sorry that the supplies aren't compatible with the 2010 Mini. Once I get the time I may look into the 2010 Mini, but I'm working on set right now in addition to building these projects.

Edit: Oops this is somewhat addy. I apologize guys. If it bothers you I'll delete it, just let me know.

Best regards,

Ryan

Core Audio Technology Kryptos Media Server (Solid Maple Chassis) > Core Audio Technology Kratos fully digital amplifier amplifier (solid maple chassis) > Core Audio Technology Kalon Loudspeaker (crossoverless and full-range to 26hz).[br]http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com[br]http://www.facebook.com/coreaudiotechnology[br]http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/blog

I ditched my 2009 for a 2010 mini. Well, I put it to use as a ... computer, along with another 2009 mini. If it turns out there is a market for these things, that would be great. But looking toward the future, it might be worth seeing what could be done for a 2010 mini. I found simply plugging into a good filtered power source really helped, so maybe it is possible that the 2010 mini power supply could either be bypassed or at least provided with cleaner input...

I haven't opened up the new mac mini, but that would require voiding the warranty. It's always possible to bypass the internal power supply. I would likely just have to split a trace on the circuit board and wire new wires to the C7 connector on the back of the mini. Then one could use an alternative power supply with a c7 connector.

That being said, I haven't looked inside to see how easy this would be to do. It is also possible that the new mac mini runs off of a different voltage and current, which is another obstacle to conquer.

That being said, it's totally possible to source C7 connectors (I think?) and build a high-end power cable for the 2010 Mac Mini. I'd build it with the same design as either the Mojo Audio ribbon XPC or the cross-helix depending on how manageable the connectors are. Both would be huge upgrades to the mini. I'll see if I can find a source for those connectors and post back my findings.

Core Audio Technology Kryptos Media Server (Solid Maple Chassis) > Core Audio Technology Kratos fully digital amplifier amplifier (solid maple chassis) > Core Audio Technology Kalon Loudspeaker (crossoverless and full-range to 26hz).[br]http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com[br]http://www.facebook.com/coreaudiotechnology[br]http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/blog

Ryan's linear power supply (LPSU) made a very audible improvement on my 2009 Mac Mini and I was a big skeptic going into that evaluation as I posted previously.

I bought a second one for my MH LIO-8 which in my system made an audible improvement. This improvement on the LIO-8, however, might not be audible in every system. I have an active crossover and go direct from the LIO-8 to amplifiers which are direct connected to 98-102db efficient drivers.

I don't know what the switch mode power supply (SMPS) looks like in the 2010 Mac Mini. But, just the other week my Apple Time Capsule failed and I popped it open and verified it was the SMPS (note: this is a well known problem with 2008 vintage TC's). Anyway, it was very easy to replace. Basically, the SMPS connected to the logic board via a 6 prong connector and to the SATA drive via a standard connector. I bought a used Cisco 12V/5V external SMPS and wired it directly to the connectors.

Often times when Apple introduces new products there are websites that crack them open and post pictures and component summaries. You might see if something is out there for the 2010 MM.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Furutech makes very high quality (and very expensive) C7 connectors for DIY power cable construction. I agree that a well designed power cable is a good idea for the '10 mini. Sheilding and using RF damping techniques, quality wire, with good geometry, and quality connectors should go a long way towards reducing the amount of RF the mini's power supply dumps back into the AC line, and broadcasts into the air around the other components.

There is at least one '10 mini aftermarket power cable already on the market, I cannot recall the manufacturer, but a quick search ought to find them.

SONORE computer audio