IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

JBL Synthesis 4367 or M2

World class sound at real word prices in todays market.

High Fidelity just doesn't get any better.

Wish I could afford-house one of them.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

The big Infinity's I heard years ago were the most realistic thing I'd ever heard (don't know what I'd think of them now).

Agreed,  I heard the IRS Beta's (I believe) at a dealer in downtown Chicago back in the day when they were current. The first time I'd ever heard a speaker that can deliver the inner detail and realism that is available from the best of the large horns.  If they had been in my financial wheelhouse I might have considered trading my Klipsch LaScala's for them. In the end my LaScala's remained at the head of my sound shrine for 32 years

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

42 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

One one one hand it’s great to have speakers to which people can relate. One the other hand some esoteric speakers may have better performance or value for the money. 

Hum, you confused me there. In the main, the esoteric's may deliver excellent performance, but most often at a price that can be staggeringly far up the $ vs returns scale. (thinking the big Wilson, Magico, MBL, etc).  IMHO the really sweet spot for incredible SOTA sound is the $5 to $25k range. A place where the very best in reproduction can be found without paying for extreme in beautiful cabinetry, status among friends,  or just plane old BS marketing. As I stated before, my choices would most likely be at the top of the H-K family of friends,  JBL or Revel. They have spent the most time in engineering and design by a large margin, then look to bring you a product that can best represent the input signals waveform at the ear for the $ spent.

For the same reasons you might also take a look at the top of the Paradigm Persona line.

Good luck in your journey.

4 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Paradigm Persona 9H,

Vivid Giya G3, two speakers that would be on my short list if I could afford them.

I think that's a first for us, we agreeing on something.  LOL

I would warn Chris on the Giva line, I know personally someone that has had reliability problems with the in-house built drivers and less than stellar customer service over the continued failures.  :(   Just sayin

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure yet. Speakers aren’t really in my wheelhouse like DACs and digital, so I want to make sure I can offer this community something of value for their time spent reading. 

Throw out the need to a dozen or so of your favorite manufacturers. Whoever offers you the best deal, hopefully free, take it. ;)

Then just DSP to taste.

13 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Here's the latest on the new PS Audio's speakers

"Baby, Mama, and Papa bear all use the same single 12" woofer for the bottom end, only the size of the amp changes?" Hummmmmmmmm. 

The original IRS V used 6 12" woofers per channel.

IRS killers, I don't think so.

You can't change the laws of physics.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wish :~)

Much more to come. 

Ha Ha Ha,

You asked for all this Chris.......?

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2018 at 8:53 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah, thanks for letting me know:~)

"I no longer love the speakers. They are fantastic."

Kind of a strange statement for a guy trying to sell these speakers.   LOL

On 10/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, Superdad said:

Sheesh Sal. That is not what he wrote.  Your selective cutting of the sentence completely changed the meaning. ¬¬

Chris wrote:

"I’m selling because it’s time for me to try something different, not because I no longer love the speakers. They are fantastic."

Ah, no, that's not exactly true but post has now been removed so I won't debate.

In any case Chris know's it was only a fun poke at his thought-typing error, not anything malicious.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TubeLover said:

"IF" and thats a big if, Chris did go with horns, my money says they will be these, but I don't really think he is a horn guy, and his room may be too small:

https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/duo-series/duo-xd.html

Nope,  I knew early on my recommendation of JBL M2 wouldn't fly.

Any kind of horn would have too big a negative effect on his cred's here on this uber-audiophile website.

Wouldn't matter if the Angels from heaven themselves delivered them.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

There are many horn speakers with big-time audiophile cred (if you were at all serious). I haven't looked at the M2 in particular, but don't know why JBL would be a bad thing. There are several pages I've seen extolling the virtues of the sound of restored "egg crate" models that many people remember fondly.

I was completely serious and I'd have to disagree with you on the general view of horns within a large part of the audiophile community.

The Asian market is very strong but not so much elsewhere.  And much of what there is, is paired with the SET crowd, of which I wish no disrespect, but their measurements (and sound)  haven't been SOTA since 1935.  Ask a large number of audiophiles about horns and you get that same ole "hands cupped over mouth" response and a look of distaste.

YMMV 

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d love a system like this with external crossover and DSP but it doesn’t enable me to easily review DACs and other components without the output being DSP’d.

I hear what your saying Chris, a very limiting difficult position to be in.

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

For me, the motivation is to satisfy a perverse curiosity.   Always, interesting.  

LOL  A good one Kal

1 hour ago, firedog said:

But you have experienced professional reviewers like Steve Gutenberg who love horns and will tell you how they are the best, most real, most live sounding method of reproduction. That's one of the things about audio-for every two audiophiles, there are three opinions. 

Yep,  I ran a pair of Klipsch La Scala's for 32 years with a couple factory upgrades along the way.  Never would have given them up if I had the room for them in my retirement home.

Sam Tellig agreed with me an ran a RAVE review of them for Stereophile in 2006

http://www.soundhifi.com/klipsch/sam.htm

Klipsch Heresy III's  were given a luke-warm review by Art Dudly in 2012

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-119

And were given a very highly positive follow-up review by Ken Micallef in 2018

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-119-ken-micallef-june-2018

The more modern 600m was a huge hit with Herb Reichert in March

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-600m-loudspeaker

So it depends on which reviewer at Stereophile you cast your lot.  LOL

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Actually, I was thinking of these

Yes the 4367 are considered the blue collar version of the M2. a great less expensive option that can also be made active with the proper DSP gear.  I know someone who went that way at first but later got a good deal on M2's   LOL

I haven't personally heard either yet though I know a number of owners.

I have a newer web friend that just moved into my area with M2's, he has told me that as soon as he gets settled in his new digs he would invite me over for a evening of listening.  I'm pretty stoked waiting.

I really hoped to hear something at the last Tampa audio show in Feb but the  best JBL brought was the new L100 Classic.

I was disappointed, but they sounded very impressive actually,  nothing like I remember the old 1970s  L100

I hear the Tampa show was a big success for a first year event and will be run again this Feb 7-9 bigger and better,  Here's hoping.

https://floridaaudioexpo.com/

6 hours ago, 4est said:

The horn guys wanted Altec and JBL. Klipsch were never taken seriously and likened to upscale Cerwin Vega. I'll stop there lest I upset Sal's notably fragile ego further.

Sounds like your believing scandalous rumors on both counts.  Another subjectivist failing   ROTFL

4 hours ago, 4est said:

LOL- I rode a bike or walked everywhere and didn't even own a car. I spent all of my money on audio and girls!

Girls gonna cost you a lot of money without a car.  They don't want to be seen on the back of your bike unless they're 10yo.  ;)

4 hours ago, firedog said:

JBL L100's is more than I'll ever be able to afford.

Have you heard the new L100's?  Pretty impressive for a big monkey coffin.

I'm repeating myself I think, but then I'm old and can be excused.  LOL

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Those were the days of “Do I buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter and walk to class and work - or - put gas in the car?” for me.

Gas, cash, or a-s, no one rides for free was my motto.  :)

Or a bit of Grass on occasion.

8 hours ago, 4est said:

Why am I not surprised you are impressed by L100s? The originals sounded like crap. I gave a pair away that I picked up cheap at a garage sale.

Have you heard them, or are you just making fantasy land judgements as usual?